“I could not have been more pleased with the Sofitel St James Hotel”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #26 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 September 2009

The hotel staff definitely know how to deliver excellent customer service. They are attentive and helpful. The rooms were well appointed, absolutely clean, and very comfortable. The beds are very plush and roomy, and the rooms quiet, so sleeping was sound . This hotel is centrally located and most of the major tourist destinations are with walking distance. This is the best hotel experience I have had in London.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 August 2009

We chose the Sofitel mainly for the location. It is close to so many London sights, including National Gallery and Buckingham Palace so we were able to walk to many places. Both the rooms (we had connecting rooms for our 2 kids) and the service were top notch. We ate at the hotel restaurant once for dinner, it was very good.
This was our first time staying at a Sofitel, but definitely not our last.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2009

We have stayed at Sofitel many times and the service has always been exemplary. All staff are polite and housekeeping do an excellent job keeping rooms clean and dust free (my wife suffers from asthma). Our last stay was in a Prestige Suite which was spacious and contained a good range of technology, e.g. Internet TV, IPOD docking station. Room service is quick and the quality of food is very high. While the hotel can be expensive some good deals can be found by prepaying in advance. We throughly recommend a stay at the hotel

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel Saint James for 3 days before embarking on the Queen Mary 2 for our 20th anniversary. We had a blast and the French touches made it a very romantic stay. Our room was large, clean and very comfortable with great ammenities (Hermes products in the bathrooms). The service was excellent, polite, capable and always determined to please you and address your requests. It is also the perfect location to visit the city and discover London, only minutes from Buckingham Palace, Covent garden, Soho, Picadilly Circus, Saint james park and the London theater district. Brasserie Roux is a wonderful place for lunch or dinner. The newly open SPA is incredible and a peace haven after a busy day. Little known in the city they also offer afternoon tea in a lovely tea salon, where you can discover the most beautiful and delicate blossoming teas you have ever imagined while listening to enchanting music of the harp. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Loved this hotel very comfortable immaculate rooms would highly recommend this one!! although did book it as a present from relatives so may be quite expensive!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The Sofitel St James in London is one of the better hotels I have stayed at. The location can not be beat and the rooms are one of the best. Also, the hotel employees are some of the nicest I have had a pleasure to meet.
This hotel is close to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Bond Street, St James Park, the subway and many of the theatres.
As in all Sofitel hotels the rooms had a "So Bed" which is one of the best beds I have ever slept in, its better than my own.
Even though there was a problem in the beginning, I do not hold that against them because of the way it was handled. What happenned was that upon arrival (after 9:30 pm) I was notified that due to a computer problem my room was accidentally given away and that for the 1st night of my stay I would be in a classic room (this was smaller than the superior room I had booked). I was also informed that after the 1st night I was to be upgraded to a Luxary room which is better than the one I initially booked. The hotel also apologized by giving me wine and appetizers ( which I did not like, so they replaced it with juice and a wonderful fruit basket) as well as one free breakfast. The smaller room was okay since I was a solo traveller and the room for the next 2 nights was fabulous, very spacious.
I would definately recommend this hotel. It definately "lived up" to its 5 stars.

As for London, a play is always a great bthing to do at night and you can find half price / discount tickets for most of the better plays.
If you have never been to London I definately would recommend the Hop On/Hop Off Big Red Bus. I did this the 1st time I was in London 3 years ago and its a great way to see where all of the "main attractions" are located. This bus also gives a free Beatles walking tour which I really enjoyed.
If you have time, take a tour out to Bath and Stonehedge, you won't be dissappointed - there are 2 companies (Premium Tours and Viator) that offer private tours of Stonehedge so that you can actually go and touch and walk upon the stones.
If you like Modern Art, then go to the Tate Modern Museum which is free like most London museums.
Other things to do are watching the "change of Guards" at Buckingham Palace, a tour of Kensington Palace, the London Tower, Portebello Market in Knottingham, Harrods, Convent Gardens... I could go on and on.
There is always something to do in London, so enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank LovesToTravelAround
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We slept 3 nights in a luxury room. Big, Beautifull , and clean. The view was not really nice , but after a long day shopping, we didn't care.
Beds are really confortable, bathroom really nice. The personnals always there for you.
We really enjoy this hotel. If we return to London, sure we'll take this one.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends