“Excellent Service on a tripple "A" Location”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We enjoyed a fantastic weekend at the Sofitel in London. You can be sure to find the service at your liking in this 5 star hotel only 2 minutes from Piccadilly Circus! Great rooms, very clean and very nice bathroom. The staff is very helpful and always very anticipating. Overall CHAPEAU!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel London St James

Reviewed 21 September 2009

What a nice locale, close to everything. Service was the best I have ever seen, room was exceptional. We arrived very early before checkin, and the staff accomadated into their workout and spa facility to refreash. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE..........

Reviewed 21 September 2009

Very nice services (at a very minimum details) very well trained staff, the food was also nice

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2009

An overnight in London for my wife and I needed a central base, and this hotel fit the bill excellently. A few hundred yards from Picadilly Circus, just off Pall Mall, this hotel has got location down to a tee. The service and standard was excellent, but the cost was not low.
Wonderful for a romantic overnight break to celebrate our third anniversary, but had we been there any longer it would have made more sense to stay a little further out and used the tube- would have saved a lot.

Reviewed 7 September 2009

My family and I just finished a 3 week whirlwind tour of Europe, ten cities in six countries. We were very lucky to have begun our vacation with Sofitel. The service was impeccable and they handled our family like we were Royals.

We arrived at about 1:30pm, after flying all night, and were grumpy and tired. Check in is at 2pm, and our rooms were not ready, so we were shown to the bar (beautiful area), and given free tea, coffee and Parisian macaroons (super good). At the stroke of 2pm, our rooms were ready, and we were very pleased with how poshly appointed they were. We were given connecting rooms, just as we requested (thank you Sofitel).

This was the kickoff city for our tour of Europe, and we had a wonderful first day tour of London with our driver Peter Jamieson -- see separate review. The next day, Saturday, our youngest daughter fell extremely ill, cancelling Saturday's activities. Even though this trapped us largely in the hotel, we were treated extremely well. We tried room service -- which we don't normally do when travelling on leisure, but it was well-priced and arrived in our rooms quickly and was delicious. (As a frequent business traveler, I'd put the room service at about the top 10% of room service experiences worldwide.)

We also tried the breakfast Sunday morning downstairs at the hotel. It was superb. The menu service and the buffet were delicious.

We also made good use of the free Internet computers (thank you Sofitel). For apple fans, the hotel has two Apples downstairs in the center -- which took me a minute or two to get used to. One of the computers was down the first night, so a line formed, but the other guests who also had boarding passes to print out were charming (they had been put into a good mood by Sofitel also). The next night I needed to print out a boarding pass (there was a problem with British Airways), and when the printer was on the blink, the concierge swung into action and had me email my ticket to his desk and printer. The attitude of the concierge was the best on our three-week trip.

What more can I say? You are greeted at the door by some of London's best doormen-bell staff. The hotel lobby is gorgeous (a converted bank or brokerage). You are off Piccadilly Circle. The rooms are immaculate and the pillows divine. I wish I were staying there tonight.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank FredTravelVa
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed with my spouse in August in this hotel while our children were away so we were looking for a very nice relaxing stay and this is what we got. From the time, we came in the staff made us felt very special. The room we were given was large with a nice bathroom. We then decided to try the restaurant which was full of people enjoying themselves. Food was very tasty and nice choice of wine. Finally we decided to try their new Spa (apparently it just opened a wek before we stayed). I am not keen on Spas usually but this was a great experience with a very large choice of treatments and you can even order your favourite martini! I did not get a chance to use the Fitness centre. Location is great. We decided to go out after dinner and it was 5mn walk to everything (Soho, Piccadilly Circus, May Fair). I recommend the hotel with confidence.

1  Thank UnitedKingdomSteve
Reviewed 4 September 2009

The Sofitel St. James is fantastic.

My arrival was excellent - the staff was attentive, friendly, and professional - even though it was shortly after midnight when I arrived. My room was ready and waiting and included a nice arrival gift of chocolates and a bottle of still water.

My room was nicely sized by London standards. The bathroom had a very large tub and a great shower - a low volume nozzle with adjustable height and direction, and an overhead deluge that was great to just stand under and relax. The towels are hung on a heated bar.

Strangely, the room is dark despite numerous light fixtures. The desk area is comfortable and has a (free) wired internet connection. Small bottles of water were replaced daily.

As others have mentioned, the location is convenient to the National Gallery and other central London locations. The Piccadilly Circus Underground station is a quick two block walk away. Numerous restaurants are available. The breakfast in the hotel is quite good.

My rate included a picnic lunch which was delicious.

A touch of class was provided in the evening via a Pianist playing quietly on the balcony above the lobby.

My departure was just like my arrival.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business