“8/10”

Ranked #24 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London
“8/10”
Reviewed 27 November 2009

I struggled to find a top quality hotel in London for my honeymoon night as everywhere seemed to be booked up or the hotels were ridiculously priced at over £500. Having only previously stayed in one top central London hotel a few years ago, which was Swissotel, The Howard on the Embankment, that would prove to be the benchmark for this hotel stay. I paid £320 in 2004 for a top quality room at Swissotel, overlooking the river with a separate living room area and had a massive bathroom. So paying £500+ for a 5* Luxury Hotel in London seemed pretty silly, seeing as they were only standard rooms, offered no breakfast and the rooms looked tiny on the photos.

In the end, I decided to go through last minute.com secret hotel option and coincidentally Sofitel was selected with its luxury rooms. I was quite happy with my luck as the day before I rang Sofitel directly who told me they all luxury rooms were fully booked for my dates but when I rang them back to confirm my reservation the day after, they said that they had had a last minute cancellation............hmmm!

Anyways, I told them it was a special occasion and when we arrived, the receptionist had informed me that we had been upgraded to a junior suite to the delight of me and my wife.
We were taken upstairs and shown the room where there was also champagne on ice and a letter from the management, welcoming us......when I say letter, i mean compliment slip but it is the thought that counts.

The room and bathroom was smaller than I thought it would be for a Junior Suite. What would a luxury room be like I wonder?

Toiletries were Hermes which were brilliant and so was the rain shower too. The bed was incredibly soft and just as those other reviews have described it to be.
We ordered room service, which was again, as expected, overpriced - club sandwich was £16 + service charge but it was very delicious almost justifying its price tag.

As we stayed one night, we said no to breakfast option....I know you're thinking "it's this guy's wedding night...what a cheapo" but then you would think again for £26 per person for breakfast......Starbucks does just the same job only for £3 a pop and there's about 500 in central London.

Sofitel did the simple things well: staff were friendly and helpful, room was exceptionally clean, bed was brilliant and so was the food. However, it begs belief that top central London hotels cost this much and I hate to think what tourists think of the prices when they choose to book. I guess less is more, especially for these hotels bang in central London.

Yes the hotel is bang in the central of London, just a minutes walk from Piccadilly but yet £450+ for a room (remember I had booked a luxury room and got a free upgrade) is astronomical - I don't think my stay would have been as good if I was given a smaller, luxury room.

However, you get what you pay for; there is no question this is a top quality hotel in terms of the service you receive, the food and the cleanliness of the rooms but the rooms are not just big enough so don't expect too much on the basic accommodation options.

I have come to the conclusion that the large proportion of what you pay for is the location. This is why everything is so damn expensive at this place but yet you should not have anything to complain about while you're there as you will be treated so kindly and made to feel so welcome.

Would not stay there again though as I think there are a better hotels, which offer you better room space and luxury for your money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rajbabyb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Stayed at the Stylish Sofitel St James on a Saturday night, From the moment we walked into the hotel, greeted by Pauline till we checked out we were treated soooo well. The location is fab, our room a standard dbl was lovely, warm, comfortable and spotless. Everyone should experience sleeping in a Sofitel bed, you will want to buy one.I had a slight problem using the in room interenet as im not very technical and nothing was too much trouble for Oliver the consierge, who spent half an hour on a busy Saturday night making sure I knew how the use it. Thanks Oliver. I highly recommend this hotel could not fault it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carmcd
Reviewed 18 November 2009

There is no doubt that the Hotel is very good,despite the fact that some staff hardly speak any English,originating most of them in France or Eastern Europe.
However,with all the unreasonable praise they get here,in two years they increased their rates x4.
Chesterfield in Mayfair is far superior,at half the price
Thanks

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank nonos
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Last month we went to London and spend a great weekend. We were lodged at the Sofitel London St James. We have stayed at other fine Sofitels in Paris and Marseille, but the St James was the best. With a perfect location near theaters, shops and good restaurants, the Sofitel at the heart of London offers great service and very fine rooms. We will certainly go return to this true luxury hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuisaParis
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 5 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel London St. James for 4 nights the end of September 2009. We reserved the classic room, but were upgraded to a somewhat larger room. We were in room 526. We loved the location of the hotel - perfect for walking to restaurants, the subway and right in the middle of all the wonderful sights of London. The lobby was beautiful, and the spacious room was luxurious and decorated in subdued colors. The bed and linens were so comfortable. Bathrobes, a daily newspaper, a bathroom mirror that does not steam up and treats in the room were nice amenities. It was very relaxing. We did not try the restaurant since it seemed too expensive, and had a perfect breakfast at Apostrophe just a block away down the street. The hotel is right across from the tourist information center, which was also a nice convenience. We had a wonderful stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Expense
  • Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank PamMinneapolis
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2009

The Sofitel St James is located at the crossing between Regent Street and Pall Mall, ideal for business and leisure. I have stayed there more than in any other hotel in London and absolutely love it.
The hotel is set in a beautiful 19th century building, with a double height entrance hall. The reception gives an impression of grandeur, especially around 6pm when the piano is played on the mezzanine and the bar on the far right is buzzing with activity – don’t miss the excellent cocktails. The hotel also has a pink tearoom that the ladies will adore, a recently refurbished gym, sauna and hammam and a restaurant (I have only tried room service, and the quality is good).
The rooms are quiet and spacious (even the smallest rooms have space for a double bed, a desk, a shower/bath and a flat screen TV), elegantly decorated in dark/grey tones, and often feature a « reading corner » with a comfortable armchair, side table and lamp. There is ample space in the cupboards to store all the luggage and clothing away. Finally, rooms have been recently upgraded with Yamaha ipod docking stations/radio which is really great.
But what makes the big difference is the hotel staff attention to detail and willingness to please: they remember your preferences, will bring you your selected choice of newspapers in the morning (even if you don’t have breakfast or room service there), find you a table in whatever fancy restaurant you want to try (and help you with good alternatives if they can’t get a table), and make the extra effort for a particular event.
In my last visit, I brought my wife to London for her 35th birthday – the hotel gave us a great upgrade (at least 2 room types up from the one I had booked), and every evening they had prepared a little surprise for us (I remember fondly the divine chocolate birthday cakes the evening we arrived).
All this at a very reasonable price: from experience, this quality costs 30-50% more in other London hotels. I actually found the Sofitel better than the Mandarin or any Hilton in town.

In one word, don’t miss it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JackfromParis
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2009

This is one the few "proper" 5 star hotels in London. The location is great - right at the bottom of Regent Street. Inside the staff are excellent and rooms are big for London with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Prices do reflect that but if you have the money then you should stay here!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business