“C'est bon”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #24 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed for one night at this lovely hotel.

Liked - Location its a 2min walk to St James Park, Haymarket, Piccadily great for sightseeing and shoppintg.
We live and work in london, but wanted a lazy break ....
The rooms were fantastic they had character, very comfortable, clean and a good size.
The shower was excellent - with rain head and a normal head... water lovely and warm.
No noise from the outside and very quite on the floor (that may be pot luck!)

We tried the bar - recommend the cocktails, a little pricey worth the quality.
Breakfast...oh so nice plenty of choice and a wonderful lesiurely experience and served until 2.00pm!!!!
The staff were wonderful nothing was too much trouble

I am trying hard to find some how that this hotel can improve and I cannot, it truely was a lovely stay without the stuffiness of other London hotels in this class.
I can't wait to go back....

1  Thank yadgiry

Reviewed 22 January 2010

We stayed at the Sofitel St. James for three nights during Christmas. The location is great. But , the hotel is excellent. The staff is excellent. They treated us as old friends. Everyone from the doorman, bellhop, front desk, customer relations director, concierge, housekeeping, room service, and waiters are the best.

Rooms are exceptionally clean, comfortable and quiet.

This was our second stay at this hotel and we will definitely return some day.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hikery
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at Sofitel St James for 3 nights in January 2010 and we loved everything about this hotel. We are regular overseas travellers and we visit England every year but this was our first stay at Sofitel.

The great things we loved about this place are as follows.

1. Friendly staff - from waiters to cleaners, everyone was really friendly and helpful. 99% of the staff were French and other Europeans but all spoke English very well. I was a bit surprised when I was greeted in French when I checked in and I soon found out all the staff greeted you in French, must be a Sofitel thing.

2. Fantastic Breakfast - the buffet breakfast was included in our stay and let me tell you, I have eaten buffet breakfast at over 30 different hotels in my life time and this place beats them all. At first when you see the buffet layout, it doesn't seem like there's very much to choose from. However, rather than leaving large quantities of food left on display and having it go luke warm, you actually get all the hot food cooked fresh for you as you order it from your table. You don't have to line up for your eggs cooked the way you like it! There's a menu placed on your table of all the hot food you can order which is all a part of the buffet. The Eggs Benedict was the by far the best we've ever had with beautiful ham off the bone and eggs poached to perfection covered by golden Hollondaise sauce.
The croissant is also made the French way so it's is sooo buttery and fluffy. The array of fruits, breads and cheeses were also very impressive - not overdone with too many choices but just enough choices of good quality stuff. Also, all the teas are the leaf type not the tea bag types.

3. The Most Comfortable Bed and Pillows - I acutally carry my own down pillow everywhere I travel as I suffer from bad neck pains if I sleep on other types. Let me tell you, the Hotel's pillows were so much more comfortable than my own $200 sheridon pillow, I actually used the hotel's pillow instead of mine! My husband who also wakes up at 4.30am every morning slept in until 9.30am during our stay as the bed was so comfortable. The bed has this gorgeous underlay that feels like clouds and your body just relaxes instantly.

4. Shower - We stayed in a classic room which was very small but it's to be expected for London hotels. The bathroom was small but it was just perfect in that it had a massive bathtub with the rainfall shower head as well as a hand held shower head. The water pressure was awesome and the water was always nice and hot. They give you a big robe in your room and slippers too.

5. Location - The Piccadilly underground station is literally 3 minutes away from the hotel by foot. We also walked to the Hyde Park, the Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden from the hotel. You can catch the tube but it's not necessary.

6. Free internet - there's a small business centre with 2 computers that you can use with free internet.

The hotel also recently opened a new Spa and Gym and I tried both and they were fantastic also. Even if you don't get anything done, just check out the facilities as it is beautiful to look at.

I didn't know when I booked this hotel that as a part of our package we also got 'Chocolate pack' which included any hot drink of your choice (we had hot chocolates) and 3 mini chocolate deserts. We could take this anytime we wanted so we had late in the afternoon in their rose sitting room. Gorgeous!

Overall, I could not say enough good things about this hotel and our London stay was made extra comfortable thanks to Sofitel!

2  Thank fattibumba
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Have just returned from a 3 night stay. On Saturday night (1st night) , following a pre dinner £14 round of drinks for one small bottle of beer and a glass of wine we were ignored for 20 minutes in Brasserie Roux after being given the menu.We therefore left , hotly pursued by a member of staff wishing to know what the problem was. Ate elsewhere. On our return there was a message for us to contact the restaurant manager. Profuse apologies were offered , along with an offer of 2 complimentary glasses of champagne on our next visit to the brasserie plus a waiving of the £14 bar bill. I made it clear that , as a result of this visit , there would be no further ones. He then promised that they would do "something special" for us at breakfast the following morning. We have yet to discover the results of this promise.

Apart from the above a thoroughly enjoyable stay which on the "I love chocolate" package represents good value for money.

Reviewed 13 January 2010

Amazing Hotel. Firstly location was great - about 3 to 5 mins walk from Piccadilly Circus tube. However, if you would prefer to save some money, walking is definitely an option. We ended up walking to most places (Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Oxford Circus, Bond St etc) because of the proximity of the Sofitel. Another plus- The Sofitel is in a don't have the problem of drunks and rowdy people. Service was great; we especially loved the turn down service which was provided consistently every night. A bottle of champagne and a bowl of nuts was also delivered up to our room when they found out that it was out honeymoon trip. I fell in love with the room decor (very chic and french). Although the room itself was on the small side, but we didnt mind that much as it was enough for two people (and 2 huge suitcases) to fit in comfortably. More importantly, what we liked about the rooms were that they were very clean. Being very particular about cleanliness, we were impressed to see that there was hardly any dust in the room, carpets were very clean, and the brass knobs were even polished to a shine!

The only negative thing about the Sofitel would be that there is no complimentary wi-fi.

Although we got a really good price for our stay this time (stay for 3 and only pay 2 nights), however we will definitely be returning to this hotel again in the future even without the discount.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aiguebelle
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Stayed here for just one night as a good location for the Haymarket Theatre. Its a lovely building and impressive lobby. Check in was efficient and bizarely thats my only grumble. it felf like a business check in i.e quick, efficient and lacked the personal touch.

The room was of a good size and had a contempary decor, it was nice and quiet with no street noise.

i would definitely stay again, if i needed to be in Central London

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2010

A very good hotel in a very good location with a very professional staff. The room was very nice, spacious, bathroom amenities signed by Hermes, ... but I would like to point out the quality and the confort of the bed, it was amazing.

From long time ago, I have found an hotel with a good value for money in the centre of an European Capital.

By sure, If I come back to London, this will be my Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple