“Great location, outstanding service”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Dallas, Texas
“Great location, outstanding service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

Our stay at the Sofitel was wonderful. Because of my daughter's allergies, I was already in contact with the hotel staff. They couldn't have been more accomodating. We ate several meals at the hotel, and the chef came out each time to assure us that our daughter's foods would be prepared by him. Everytime we needed anything, the staff was helpful. For the kids, there was a game room set up with board games and XBox Kinect and lots of snacks and drinks. The breakfast buffet(which was included in the price of the room) was extensive and delicious--and included foods that were prepared to order. The location of the hotel was perfect, near Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, convenient to the tube. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank myw65
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 2 January 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
It was such a pleasure to read your positive comment regarding your stay.
I thank you for mentioning our Chef who is very concerned with our guests' health. He takes a special care in choosing the best and freshiest products for each and every dish.
This year we wanted to indulge the children as well as their parents. That is the reason why we brought you the Xbox which was really successful.
I eagerly look forward to welcoming back soon and to offering you our undivided attention.
Denis Dupart,
Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

Just back from a stay at the Sofitel St James for New Years Eve and was totally blown away by it. It wasnt a cheap option and after a particularly hard year decided to use christmas money to see the New Year in with style and we got that and so much more here. From the moment we walked into the hotel we were greeted by the wonderful friendly staff and shown to our room which was luxury with a capital L. The beds and pillows were like laying on a cloud. The breakfast was wonderful and yet again, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The little quaint tea room needs to be seen to be believed - a little bit of heaven in the heart of the city - would definately recommend for special occasions and positioning for the New Years Eve fireworks/New Years day parade cannot be rivalled. Thank you for sending us into the new year so well

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you very much for your excellent feedback which I shared with my team. It is always rewarding to read such a comment. We will continue to pass on our passion for Excellence to our guests.
I truly look forward to welcoming you back. Let's not wait until next New Year's Eve to indulge yourself.
Denis Dupart,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

This was a last minute getaway for the Thanksgiving holiday. I am very picky when it comes to hotels, and I wont stay just anywhere due to a low price. So after spending countless nights reading reviews of hotels in London we finally decided on the Sofitel St James. We booked for 4 nights and were certainly not disappointed!!

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we where greeted and treated with amazing service. We arrived at 9am Thursday morning after just arriving on a overnight flight from Los Angeles. We were taken to our room right away which was a great relief, since it was nice to settle in and freshen up before hitting the sites.

The location was perfect! The area around the St James was quiet and serene. The St. James sits right on the corner of Pall Mall and Waterloo Place. The hotel lies in the heart of St. James’s, a prestigious and lively district of London, within walking distance of St. James’s Park, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, city centre theatres, and fabulous shopping on Regent, Piccadilly, Oxford and Bond streets. The hotel is the perfect location to discover and enjoy central London. It is also the perfect place to unwind. We were able to see all of the sights of London without needing the tube at all. The ambiance of the hotel is just beautiful! It has the charm of an English Manor with a contemporary style that is unmistakably French.

We booked a King Luxury Room and it was perfect. Very spacious with huge windows. Large arm chair, high definition flat screen television, WIFI and hard wired high speed internet connections, writing desk as well as a bathroom with separate bath tub and walk in shower with an amazing rain shower head with great water pressure. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, and all the other little extra's you would expect at a Sofitel. The decor was particularly stylish.

This was really a wonderful stay and while it isn't the cheapest hotel in central London but in my opinion it is worth every cent!

Thank you everyone at the St James London! We will certainly be back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

Stayed here three times. First two times for business, then one time with family. All three times it proved a wonderful and excellent experience and in the Sofitel style, a well designed, very comfortable hotel. The rooms are a little small but hey, what do you expect...its London after all. The hotel is centrally located, even better for leisure stay than for business. The hotel is quiet, tastefully designed, classy, the bathroom is small but luxurious and you will have anything you need to make your stay, either business or leisure, a very pleasant one. If you want to enjoy a very British “tea” the hotel has a nice centrally located area opposite the entry as well as a small but attractive bar. The breakfast and dinner room is also at the ground floor in a nicely illuminated and spacious “ballroom”. The concierge is very helpful and attentive. The entry of the hotel is very elegantly situated at St. James’. Sofitel shows its superb understanding what a guest needs.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 30 December 2010
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you very much for your positive feedback.
Actually we do not work, we have a passion in taking care of our guests. I am glad you enjoyed the traditional English side as well as the French elegance of our service.
I truly look forward to welcoming you back.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2010

I travelled to London with a relative to "get away from it all" over Christmas. I've seen, but not stayed at, the Sofitel St James before and was looking forward to it living up to its reputation. It more than did that.

From the moment we arrived - indeed from the moment we met the doorman - we felt genuinely welcome. Although it's an upscale hotel, the staff have no airs and graces and seemed to greet all the guests with the same enthusiasm. Check-in was very quick and efficient. The two rooms were spacious, furnished simply but to a high standard, and the bathrooms excellent (great showers!). We did have couple of problems with the rooms (we couldn't get the TV to work in one and I experienced a short Christmas Even power blackout in the other), but both were solved immediately and with no fuss. Checkout was efficient and correct.

The brasserie deserves a special mention. It serves a great breakfast and I'd happily call in just for that even if I wasn't staying at the hotel. The bar is (too) small but very friendly. Their Chrstmas lunch is justly famous.

Although the staff were uniformly excellent, I've got to single out the concierge, doormen and porters for keeping their smiles and good humour going in sub-zero temperatures. I really can't find fault with the place.

• Stayed December 2010
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I truly thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your rooms, our level of service, our Brasserie Roux offer, and more. I was so pleased to share your comments with my team!
I eagerly look forward to welcoming you back in order to offer you anew our undivided attention.
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2010

Stayed 2-5 December 2010 in Superior room.
A very comfortable contemporary style hotel in a good location. Although, surprised and disappointed there was no bellboy when we arrived in our taxi. However, nice and easy check-in procedure (as well as check-out). Public areas as well as the room were in an excellent condition. Guessing the management must be looking after maintenance carefully. Room pretty small but comfortable. Bathroom large with good amenities (Hermes). Bed very comfortable. Majority of staff seem to be French. Very polite and service minded. The bartenders made a special impression being very helpful and professional. Room service was quick and we had a delicious breakfast in the room.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 20 December 2010
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for your positive feedback which I shared with my team.
I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable overall experience. I thank you for the special mention to the bar tenders.
I really hope we will have the privilege to welcome you back soon in order to offer you our undivided attention.