“Great stay!”

Ranked #27 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed for a long weekend in Sofitel St. James which is located in the heart of London. Thus, everything (sightseeing, shopping, nightlife, fantastic restaurants) is just a few minutes away. The complete atmosphere of the hotel is very charming and service was outstanding (from the lobby to the concierge ending with room service).
The rooms have a beautiful English-style interior. However, they are a bit small (especially the bathroom) - but, hey, I mean it's London.

We really loved our stay and can't wait to go back!

PS: Go to the bar - it's absolutely lovely!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I am so happy your spent a lovely stay with us.
Indeed, as we have a passion for our guests, we make our best to please them. We love to indulge you. We cannot help it.
The St James Bar team felt extremely rewarded with your comment. They thank you very much.
I really look forward to your next visit in order to offer you our undivided attention.
Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, UK
Reviewed 7 January 2011

The Sofitel brand is a strong and reliable one, I use them when I can on business and leisure trips in Europe and North America. I have been a very regular guest at this hotel for four years when I am in London on business. The location is brilliant, the bedrooms are well presented and the services and staff are what you would expect of a 5* hotel. Sally Ann in front of house management is particularly good. The popularity of the hotel is now becoming a bit of a problem, in that it is consistently full or nearly so, which either means paying top whack for a room, or not being able to get in at all! I had the latter experience for two weeks before Christmas, and stayed at the Berkeley instead, which was excellent, and cheaper too, but it didnt feel like" home" as the Sofitel does.

Three issues the management should address at the Sofitel:-
1) Showers in some of the rooms are not in watertight enclosures, which means that however careful you are the floor of the bathroom floods,
2) The bar is too small, but I understand this is to be extended
3) Food in Brasserie Roux, and particularly breakfast, is not as good as it should be. £27 for a cooked breakfast is a bit more than the going rate at a hotel like this, but it isnt very good. I tend to go to Fortnums or the Wolseley which are much better ( and surprisingly cheaper)

However, the combination of location, rooms and staff still make the Sofitel my first choice for central London hotels for both business and leisure stays.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jerseyman1
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for your great feedback as well as for your comprehension.
In a matter of fact, we have a high occupancy rate, hence not always able to upgrade our guests. Nevertheless we still do our best to make them feel at home away from home. We have a passion for you, our guests.
Our Chef is always in search of the best quality for all the products he uses for any meal of the day, hence seasonal & fresh.
The St James Bar may seem you a little small but my team loves to surprise and indulge its customers.
I eagerly look forward to your next visit.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The St-James is conviently located in the West End of London. Location is great, in the middle of very active and tourist area. While I was there there were many road work in the street making the access a little more difficult.

Service was excellent. I exchanged emails with the concierge prior coming for directions and advise and they were very promtped on answering.

Breakfast was very good, with alot of choice to choose from. Gym was ok, a little small however. The small bar was busy and service was very good.

Rooms were great, with a good entertainment system.

Many French customers and staff. In fact, I felt I was in Paris!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 7 January 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for your positive comment and the special mentions to our Concierge, the St James Bar, the rooms and breakfast at Brasserie Roux. The Chef is very concerned about the freshness of the seasonal products he uses.
My entire team was delighted to offer you their undivided attention.
I look forward to your next visit, very soon I hope.
Area General manager
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 5 January 2011

absolutely delighted with stay. From the first moment you feel a charming atmosphere. Welcome is perfect and it continues like this. Very pleasant is taking tea or cocktails in the cozy lounge behing the lobby. Everything is shining and taken well care of. Rooms are of good size, modern decor. Everything working alright. Location is excellent, very close to Piccadilly Circus and St. James Park. The price is high- but this is London and we had for a similar price unpleasant experiences in London. Highly recommended.
Breakfast expensive again- but very complete and satisfying experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I was so pleased to read your positive feedback that I shared it with my team straight away.
We have a passion for our guests and we try our best to fulfill their wishes.
I eagerly look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Our stay at the Sofitel was wonderful. Because of my daughter's allergies, I was already in contact with the hotel staff. They couldn't have been more accomodating. We ate several meals at the hotel, and the chef came out each time to assure us that our daughter's foods would be prepared by him. Everytime we needed anything, the staff was helpful. For the kids, there was a game room set up with board games and XBox Kinect and lots of snacks and drinks. The breakfast buffet(which was included in the price of the room) was extensive and delicious--and included foods that were prepared to order. The location of the hotel was perfect, near Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, convenient to the tube. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank myw65
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 2 January 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
It was such a pleasure to read your positive comment regarding your stay.
I thank you for mentioning our Chef who is very concerned with our guests' health. He takes a special care in choosing the best and freshiest products for each and every dish.
This year we wanted to indulge the children as well as their parents. That is the reason why we brought you the Xbox which was really successful.
I eagerly look forward to welcoming back soon and to offering you our undivided attention.
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Just back from a stay at the Sofitel St James for New Years Eve and was totally blown away by it. It wasnt a cheap option and after a particularly hard year decided to use christmas money to see the New Year in with style and we got that and so much more here. From the moment we walked into the hotel we were greeted by the wonderful friendly staff and shown to our room which was luxury with a capital L. The beds and pillows were like laying on a cloud. The breakfast was wonderful and yet again, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The little quaint tea room needs to be seen to be believed - a little bit of heaven in the heart of the city - would definately recommend for special occasions and positioning for the New Years Eve fireworks/New Years day parade cannot be rivalled. Thank you for sending us into the new year so well

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you very much for your excellent feedback which I shared with my team. It is always rewarding to read such a comment. We will continue to pass on our passion for Excellence to our guests.
I truly look forward to welcoming you back. Let's not wait until next New Year's Eve to indulge yourself.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 December 2010

This was a last minute getaway for the Thanksgiving holiday. I am very picky when it comes to hotels, and I wont stay just anywhere due to a low price. So after spending countless nights reading reviews of hotels in London we finally decided on the Sofitel St James. We booked for 4 nights and were certainly not disappointed!!

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we where greeted and treated with amazing service. We arrived at 9am Thursday morning after just arriving on a overnight flight from Los Angeles. We were taken to our room right away which was a great relief, since it was nice to settle in and freshen up before hitting the sites.

The location was perfect! The area around the St James was quiet and serene. The St. James sits right on the corner of Pall Mall and Waterloo Place. The hotel lies in the heart of St. James’s, a prestigious and lively district of London, within walking distance of St. James’s Park, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, city centre theatres, and fabulous shopping on Regent, Piccadilly, Oxford and Bond streets. The hotel is the perfect location to discover and enjoy central London. It is also the perfect place to unwind. We were able to see all of the sights of London without needing the tube at all. The ambiance of the hotel is just beautiful! It has the charm of an English Manor with a contemporary style that is unmistakably French.

We booked a King Luxury Room and it was perfect. Very spacious with huge windows. Large arm chair, high definition flat screen television, WIFI and hard wired high speed internet connections, writing desk as well as a bathroom with separate bath tub and walk in shower with an amazing rain shower head with great water pressure. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, and all the other little extra's you would expect at a Sofitel. The decor was particularly stylish.

This was really a wonderful stay and while it isn't the cheapest hotel in central London but in my opinion it is worth every cent!

Thank you everyone at the St James London! We will certainly be back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple