“Afternoon Tea in the Rose Lounge. Wow - Just Perfect !”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Düsseldorf, Germany
“Afternoon Tea in the Rose Lounge. Wow - Just Perfect !”
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Unfortunately, we did not stay at the hotel, but we reserved in advance and went for Afternoon Tea in the beautiful Rose Lounge. It was absolutely perfect from beginning to end. The selection of teas was huge, the food quality was excellent, the champagne cocktail was delicious and the service was superb. The harpist playing live in the background made the experience all the more relaxing and enjoyable. I had mentioned when making the reservation that we were celebrating a birthday - and when the pastries arrived - "Happy Birthday" had been beautifully inscribed on the plate in chocolate ! It's those fine details that give a hotel a true five star rating. We will be back for sure - and will recommend the experience to all of our friends who may visit London in the future (and those who live there also) !

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I am really thankful for your positive feedback regarding our Afternoon Tea. Indeed we wanted our guests to experience this lovely British tradition which is all about details and delicacy. Our aim was to bring French elegance and British tradition. I am very pleased we achieved in gathering the best best of both cultures.
Little touches like the one for the birthday are actually very important to us as we love to indulge our guests.
I truly hope to welcoming you again soon for our Afternoon Tea as well as offering you our undivided attention during your next stay at the Sofitel London St James.
Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I don't write comments normally but this hotel is a jewel. Just off Pall Mall, in the heart of everything. From the bedrooms, to the bar to eating....amazing food and the staff there are brilliant.....respectful, helpful....yet not in your face. I highly recommend this hotel for R and R.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 23 February 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I felt so much rewarded by your positive feedback that I shared it with my whole team right away. As we truly have a passion for our guest we take care of them with all of our heart. We try and look into each and every detail to turn your stay perfect.
I sincerely thank you for mentioning our high standard of service, in particular in the St James Bar & in our restaurant. Our chef prouds himself to use only the freshiest seasonal products hence so tasty.
I truly look forward to your next visit in order to ffer you our undivided attention.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Having stayed at a number of their hotels, I like the Sofitel group. I'm demanding and my expectations are always high, but the St James delivered and my partner and I enjoyed very much our two nights there. As a guest, you can tell this is an establishment that knows what it's doing.

The location is superb, reception areas welcoming and the staff warm, friendly and helpful. Our room was extremely comfortable, well-designed and appointed - and the bathroom a very good size. I was impressed with the small touches - the things that can make a hotel stay special: complimentary Evian water, chocolates on arrival etc.

No, it's not cheap - but this is London, and in comparison with other hotels in the city, it offers excellent quality and value for the money. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for your compliments. As I always say, our guests satisfaction is our best reward which encourage us to keep doing our best to please them.
I look forward to your next visit very soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I decided to stay at the the St James after doing a great deal of research on London hotels using TripAdvisor and other sites. I must say that the TA reviews were absolutely on point. This was a wonderful hotel and the location was so convenient to all of the must see London sites and attractions. Room was large and beautiful, bathroom was also beautiful, though the stand up shower was quite small. Heated towel bars, extremely comfortable mattress and sheets. The work out area is very small, not many machines at all, but I got a good enough workout because we walked everywhere. Which is easy to do if you choose the St James.

We didn't eat any meals at the hotel as it was rather expensive, but there are lots of other restaurants, coffee shops, etc within a short walk. The hotel did not offer free Wi-fi either in the room or the lobby, which I think is a shame, but even so, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you very much for such a positive feedback. I shared it with my whole team. They felt truly rewarded.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your large room and bathroom. Sofitel Luxury Hotels created a unique bed system called MyBed which takes you to sleep on smooth like clouds.
We also have a free Internet access inroom and at our Business Center.
I am looking forward to your next visit so we can offer you anew our undivided attention.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We recently stayed at the Sofitel St. James in London. The service was fantastic, the hotel very comfortable and the staff extremely accomodating. It was a lovely and relaxed experience and convenient to all the shops and restaurants.

I totally recommend this hotel if visiting London on either Business or Leisure.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I get so proud of my entire team when I read such positive feedback as yours. I thank you for taking the time to tell the world about our high standards of service and our care to each and every detail so our guests want to come back to the Sofitel London St James.
I truly hope we will have the privilege to welcome you back very soon so we can offer you our undivided attention.
Highland Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 February 2011

the hotel's excellent location, within walking distance to shops, close to theatre and museums and good value are its best features. we had a king room for a weekend with a lovely view of the square and although small, it was very comfortable and quiet despite being on a major thoroughfare. the bathroom was stylish and well stocked with personal care amenities. the room smelled of cigarette smoke despite being told we had a non smoking room. the keyboard and free internet were useless and DID NOT WORK at any time. the "business centre" was 3 computers off the main lobby.. certainly not the oasis i had imagined to go through my email. we had drinks at the bar prior to dinner.. and the concierge was wonderful in securing us a table for 2 at a fabulous restaurant.. to sum up: great location and good value.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for posting your positive feedback regarding the layout of your room as well as the special mention to one of our Concierge. I shared it with my entire team and they felt very rewarded.
I am sorry for the inconvenience with the Internet but we were upgrading our system hence some issues with connection at some periods of the day.
I really look forward to your next visit so we can offer you our undivided attention.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Cannot fault the hotel at all, the only thing that would have improved the room would have been a view of the surrounding area. The smell of fresh lillies on exiting the lift into the lobby took the breath away. Just sorry we did not stay long enough to sample tea in the Rose Lounge or try the Spa.

1 Thank Trevor056
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for your positive feedback and I am delighted to read you had such an enjoyable time with us.
For your Afternoon Tea at our Rose Lounge we would be very pleased to book you a table prior to your arrival if you wish so.
Our So Spa team will also be extremely pleased to indulge you in a peaceful environment.
I look forward to your next visit in order to offer you our undivided attention.