“Don't arrive within an hour of closing time!”
Review of Birdhouse

Birdhouse
Ranked #199 of 686 Coffee & Tea in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My friend and I decided to meet at the Birdhouse for an afternoon coffee having seen the opening hours advertised as 9am-10pm on the TimeOut website. My friend arrived before me at around 4.10pm and let the staff know she was waiting for a friend before ordering. Over the next 10 minutes she was harassed by several members of staff who told her repeatedly they were closing at 5. The minute I arrived we were pressed for our order. After our order came, staff kept hovering and removing items from our table, making us feel very uncomfortable. The weather was quite stormy outside and the cafe door kept blowing open, and at one point an angry man (possibly manager) from the kitchen stormed out into the cafe and slammed the door which was right next to our table, making us even more uncomfortable.

If the Birdhouse staff are so concerned about customers arriving within an hour of closing time they should probably slam their stormy cafe door at 4!

The flat whites and brownies we ordered were delicious, but I've never been made to feel so uncomfortable and so unwelcome in a cafe and won't be going back, despite it's handy location by Clapham Junction station.

2  Thank Sophmo
There are newer reviews for Birdhouse

Reviewed 26 April 2014

A light lunch to keep us going was had at this establishment and it hit the nail on the head. Simple but tasty with a glass of wine to keep spirits(!) up. Staff were friendly and attentive, the restaurant itself clean, bright and quirky.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

It had been nearly two years since my last visit here, as I hadn't been in the area. I was pleased to find out that the quality of coffee was just as good as I remember. I had a flat white, which was very well made, and just the right strength.

It's a small venue, with very few seats so can get busy, but it's well worth the short walk up the hill from Clapham Junction station, if you are in the area and need a good coffee.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

really wanted to have coffee here but had to leave as my friend was late. was sitting at a table and a very rude waiter asked me to leave giving the table to someone else. this experience really put me off from going there again!

2  Thank elenecht
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had brunch here, and the coffee was fantastic, cortado just as it should be, great taste, and my friend's decaf was also very good. Service is ordinary and quite surly, smiles were rather rare, but the place was super full, with people lining up in the only corridor/exit area waiting for tables. When the place was full to capacity, with people waiting, the noise levels were deafening, it was extremely difficult to hear one's companion, and just plain uncomfortable assault on one's ears. Even some sort of panelling or canvas on the wall would absorb some of the noise, but as it is, it is super loud even with no music at all.

My friend opted for the banana loaf which looked great, and I had corn fritters with small amount of smoked salmon, little shot glass of sour-cream with chives, and avocado, with soft boiled egg on the side. It was all very good, and though slow cooked egg (they do not do poached or any other style egg (except for the egg baked with chorizo which came out in little pans type container), despite its not particularly aesthetically pleasing appearance, actually tasted amazing. Would I come here again? - for the food yes, but I would pick less busy time so that the service is actually at least pleasant even if it cannot be attentive for some strange reason, and noise levels not blowing one's ear drums out.

1  Thank l-globetrotter