The Z Hotel Soho
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
1,772 results
All reviewsfree wine and cheeserooms are smallpalace theatrequeen roomcharing cross roadold compton streetgreat locationwet roomfrosted glasssky channelsharry potterinside roomshaftesbury avenuewest endevery eveningno windowfloor space
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel , as was at a show the hotel is what it says small but has everything to hand for a short stay and the location outweighs the size , anything over a couple of nights would be a bit uncomfortable , some reviews mention noise we had no problems the staff were very pleasant and we were able to get our room early and dump our overnight bag,so would not hesitate of using again .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brownieBromley
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The hotel room was exactly as advertised: a clean and compact room, with teamaking facilities (delicious teapig teabags), bottled water, good quality bedlinens, soft, fluffy towels, an excellent shower and toiletries (shower gel and soap) and a working hairdryer, in the centre of London at a reasonable price. Amazing.

I am a small person, and was delighted with the single room I booked; I suspect if I was 6ft I wouldn't be quite so delighted - however, I thought it was perfect. The room made inventive use of space, and the bed was larger than an ordinary single bed.

I was in town for one night out with friends, and needed a convenient but inexpensive place to sleep as close to Soho as possible. I had thought I would have to compromise on quality or price, and was very happy that the only thing I would have to compromise on was space. It was absolutely fantastic to step out of the hotel the following morning into the heart of London. I slept perfectly well, and was not aware of any external noise. Given that there had been a member of staff at the front door who greeted guests before they got to reception, I also felt quite safe.

I got a look at the interior courtyard, though it was raining, and the courtyard had scaffolding up inside it - so not the best view, and clearly the hotel is not quite finished. The concept is a nice one, and as I intend to return, I hope to see the courtyard in use.

The room is ideal for those who simply need a place to stay, or who want an inexpensive place to stay in the centre of London and are prepared to sacrifice space.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank FHTWMW
Reviewed 22 December 2011

This hotel plus points

Exceptionally well located just off Shaftesbury Avenue
Very friendly staff including the security guard
Clean room and well maintained
iPhone charger, free wireless connection and great TV with Sky Sports
Exceptionally well priced for its locaiton

Downsides
The room is very cosey, and has no hanging space for clothes apart from three hangers on the wall. I would have preferred a smaller ensuite and a little more room.

Overall though as long as you know its small and you only stay for a short stay this is an exceptional value for money for the location. The place has a nice bar and restaurant as well.

The owners clearly have a great business model and should be proud of this hotel and would recommend this for a short stay as long as you not fussed about size of the room. The owners could think differently about the size of the ensuite and the bedroom to see if the proportions could be modified to allow less ensuite and more bedroom.

Well done and one to stay at for the theatres, and a stones throw from the Palace Theatre.

Room Tip: Only take minimal clothing change as there is not a lot of space to change and enjoy the experience.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RichardBourne
Reviewed 21 December 2011

A modern clean hotel room in the west end for £100 a night sounds a bargain to good to miss.

We booked a room for the night whilst we took in a play. I had looked at the website and also previous reviews so knew what to expect and the hotel lived up and down to most of these reviews.

Plus side

The hotel is in an excellent location in the West End with most venues within a few minutes walk and plenty of choice for food and drink all around.

It is modern and clean and the room has a great en suite wet room.

Check in and out was quick and easy and staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Negative side

The rooms are tiny. We had a Queen room - as shown in the picture the bed is situated sideways across the room. Anybody over about 6' 3" would need to sleep diagonally to fit in the bed.
If the person nearest the window wants to use the facilities during the night they need to climb over the other occupant.
There is nowhere to put luggage etc and other than the minutest of bedside tables there are no flat surfaces anywhere in the room. We are used to holidaying on a canal narrowboat and found the experience comparable.

Our room was noisy. It had sash cord windows with no secondary glazing so I was able to lie awake listening to swearing drunks until about 3 in the morning followed by the dustmen and cleaning trucks. I have stayed in other hotels in central London and appreciate that noise is often a problem, but with the hotels location on a busy partying street, the level of noise
seemed well above the norm. It seems strange that given the rooms have air conditioning no form of soundproofing has been installed to ease the noise problem. As this was over the Christmas period it may be that this level of noise was exceptional

I think this is a hotel you will either love or get very frustrated with and you won't know which until you have tried it.

My wife would be more than happy to visit again ,whilst I'm not so sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigmal_7
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We booked this hotel for a mother-daughter weekend away, with two aims: to see a show and to shop! The hotel is in a fantastic location for both, and so easy to find! Because its relatively new, there's still a bit of work being done, but nothing which has disturbed us!

Upon arrival we were told that because none of the double rooms were ready, they were upgrading us to a Queen, free of charge! Great we thought, however once we got in the room we were a tad skeptical, the room was pretty small for a 'queen' but thankfully we're pretty relaxed, so we just laughed it off. However the TV would only play one channel, Sky did not seem to work.

We approached the reception in the evening and the man could not help us more, apparently the tv works off a magic eye (something our room didn't have), and so he told us he would move us to a Queen (which actually was a Queen!). However, in the morning the water for the shower was not warm enough, it was too cold, but when we approached them in the evening another man came to check on the water, was more than apologetic and sorted it out in 10/15minutes.

All the staff are very helpful and friendly, our Queen room seems to be missing a phone but it's not a massive issue, all I would say is that if there's not much difference in price in the Double and Queen, I would go for the queen as you would definitely appreciate the extra floor space. Would definitely come again!

Room Tip: For the extra few pounds go for the Queen, definitely worth it. Very new and clean. The double rooms are small, but if you just need a bed to crash in and a nice bath room for the morning it's perfect!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family