The Z Hotel Soho
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
1,772 results
All reviewsfree wine and cheeserooms are smallpalace theatrequeen roomcharing cross roadold compton streetgreat locationwet roomfrosted glasssky channelsharry potterinside roomshaftesbury avenuewest endevery eveningno windowfloor space
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The location is perfect. As a tourist, you're right in the heart of the west end. The room I had was clean and the bed crisp and comfortable. If you just want a place to lay your head at night...for one night, then this is for you.

That's about all the positivity I can muster. First off, I'm not sure if it was just the room I had, but the shower was built in such a way that the entire bathroom (which is set on a raised platform) flooded each time I turned the shower on. I had to resort to using the floor towel to stop the water from spilling into the room. Not fun when you're staying for 3 nights.

On the second night, I was in bed when someone opened the door to my room! Turns out they assigned my room to someone else who had just checked in. The guy, thankfully, quickly apologised and closed the door. And the reception called up to apologise within minutes. But a scary security breach nevertheless.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank powergrrl
Reviewed 20 January 2012

After reading the reviews on here I was a little bit concerned that the room would be too small, but on arrival we were greeted by pleasant staff who made us feel welcome. Room 110 was where we stayed and on entering the room we were pleasantly surprised by its size although small it was perfect for our stay,as long as you travel light, no suitcases, the quality of the fittings in the room is good, cleanliness excellent, bed great and a massive tv, the location is fantastic for the theatre district, I would stay here again, but I must stress travel light.

Room Tip: our room was a double on the first floor we found this to be very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paul A A
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This is a bright and imaginative new venture with an enthusiastic staff team. However, the high-concept design would not be to everyone's taste and lacks attention to detail. The rooms are so cramped that it is hard to imagine who would really want to use them except maybe a theatre-goer looking for a crash pad. The rooms are well designed but the bed and the large TV screen take up virtually all the available space. There is no storage for clothes beyond a row of hooks and a couple of coat hangers. Although there is free wi-fi - why should I have to think this is worth commenting on - there is nothing that would serve as a desk at which work could be done on a business trip. The ensuite is a glass box. Travelling solo this is fine but the opaque zone is quite restricted and anyone sharing a room might find out more about their partner's bathroom habits than they would ever have wanted to know. Moreover, it is a wet room which,like every wet room I have met in a UK hotel, floods. However there is very little off-floor space to put anything and no rails or hooks for wet towels - once they are used, where do they go to dry off at all? There are obviously some long pipe runs so the showers can be slow to warm up. Cleanliness was OK but I wasn't impressed by the bin in the bathroom not having been emptied from the last guest. This is also another new hotel where nobody has thought about the usability of the lighting in the bathroom for shaving - or, I suppose, make-up. It's dimly lit from the top and quite useless for either purpose. The street-side rooms are noisy from the square and the adjacent theatre - the double glazing is not adequate to reduce this to an acceptable level. The TV screen is vast but you have to play hunt-the-input-device, which is like a large black slug somewhere in the room but not necessarily anywhere near the TV - I had to point the remote back over my head to change the channels. The night I was there, the house phones had failed, which I would consider a bit of a safety issue but nobody had thought to warn guests that they wouldn't be able to call reception in an emergency. There is a really nice 24-hour cafe on the ground floor - not cheap but good quality. I paid a working-in price, which was fair enough because there were still things being sorted out. In general, though, I think there is better value to be had in the London market by going a few stops out along the tube line to Euston, Paddington or the City fringe. I wouldn't not use this place again but I would have to be very tempted by the price and have a pressing need to be in the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from the Charing Cross Road
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank The_Sherriff
Reviewed 19 January 2012

What a find this was. Small rooms, small price, great location and friendly staff. Enough said.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Adrian M
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Well we had a double bedroom for one night thank god! When we walk into the room it was a case of me & my husband to be like a roundabout to get passed each other, as for the bed this was too closed to the shower right at the bottom of our bed.... Its seems when this refurb had been done they made everything fit into this small space.
Yeah the room lookes nice but the lay out was no good at all. As for the noise yeah we expected that but never again.
They need to change a double to a single it would work so much more.

Room Tip: If you just want to crash after drinking all night then fine becuse you wont get much sleep if you'll not been out drinking to all hours.I f ur single book a double room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple