“Lovely modern urban hotel”
Review of The Z Hotel Soho

The Z Hotel Soho
Ranked #368 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We loved this hotel. The room was very small but incredibly well put together and you really don't want to sleep all day when you are in the heart of soho. The complimentary cheese and wine every evening between 5-8 pm was superb. The staff were very friendly and they even left a free box of chocolates and card on our bed as it was our anniversary. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Great place, central, very very friendly staff, free wine and cheese biscuits every night until 8pm. Rooms are tiny, however opt for a internal one so you're away from the street, and it's fine. Lovely walk in glass bathroom, very nice designer feel to it.
If you want the extra space, for less, then get a travelodge or premier inn, bit with them it's a bland room with no wifi or character.
Will return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was our 2nd stay here. We didn't find any underwear at the foot of our bed this time. Ideal for a short break & close to all attractions & shops. Rooms are small but we knew this. Our room overlooked Charing Cross Rd & could have done with more screening on lower part of windows as people can see in & offices opposite look down into your room. We live in a city centre apartment & are used to traffic noise but we found the double glazing to be effective. The toilet area could have been screened off better as you can see into it from the bedroom, you wouldn't want to share a room with a friend for that reason but then there are no twin rooms. Our curtains were hanging off in a couple of places which should really have been picked up on by the hotel services, we also ended using a small hand towel across a rail on the window to aid some privacy from the offices opposite. There was a piece of paper on the floor in our room which was there from the previous occupant & wasn't removed when the cleaner came in to clean. The shower was a bit slow to drain & could have been better designed with a lip to prevent water running out. The room has a large TV, you get free bottled water & there is tea & coffee facilities. A hairdryer is provided. You may need to take some kind of wall hanging hooks, the type you hang over the top of a door so you can hang your clothes, as no wardrobe is provided, we did that gave us more hanging space. The numbering of the rooms can be a bit confusing as they are not that logical, the hotel is a mix of buildings. There is a courtyard on the 1st floor which is resident only after 6pm & is quite tasteful. There is free wine & nibbles for guests, served in the bar which is quite compact & I nearly tripped over someone every time I moved. This is a nice touch, the bar is good for people watching especially if you get a window seat. I did notice that the fruity loaf they used was a bit dry which was a let down. The breakfast was a bit disappointing in that there was only ham available as a meat but there was a good selection of cereals, fruit salad, juices, jams, honey & pasteries, tea & coffee etc. The first morning the oven wasn't working however it was on our second & we managed to get a bacon roll. Mine was a bit cold in the middle & could have done with some ketchup on the side or whatever takes your fancy. The hot food wasn't well advertised & I did see an egg cup on one table, not sure if they offered anything else hot. There is free wifi but was quite annoying as you had to keep going through a login page & it could be a bit slow. The staff were all really nice & approachable. Overall it was enjoyable but we have been before so were prepared.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without windows if you don't want to be overlooked or be disturbed by traffic.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed at the Z Soho Hotel when in London for a business meeting in the neighborhood. The room was very small, in fact the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in (Tokyo included!). But if you only use the hotel for sleeping the Z-hotel is very good. It is modern and clean, the staff is very nice and helpful, the breakfast is ok but not great, the beds a bit hard to my taste but otherwise ok, the room was quiet during the night, the free WiFi worked fine, and the location is just great. Next time in London I will probably come back to the Z hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Z Hotel in March of this year, and I highly recommend it for solo travelers. The hotel has an amazing location, in the middle of Soho and Convent Garden with the subway pretty close, also the neighborhood has lots of restaurants, cafes, bars near, which is great if you want to get to know people.

Two things I liked the most: the Cheese and Wine Tasting and the staff. The Cheese and Wine was a great surprise since I had no idea about it until I checked in at the hotel. It was great to meet people all over the world and to enjoy the great atmosphere of staying in London.
About the staff they cannot do it any better. They were very kind with me, paying special attention due to the fact that I was travelling by myself. Specially Andre, who was kind of a concierge, giving me specific details about where to hang out, or where to eat. He was really nice and helped me with everything I asked for and he was always willing to help at any occasion. Always with a smile and great service.

I would definitely stay here again although the rooms are small, but they are very charming and super clean. I am already recommending for all my friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Another great night. These hotels have small rooms but I'm never in room and they are set up central to theater area. Mexican place next door yum. They offer a great happy hour wine n cheese to guests and a reasonable nice fresh breakfast. It is a good deal for London.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have stayed here twice, and it is very convenient for the west end and Soho, but that convenience comes at a price. The concept is tiny rooms at an affordable price in a great location... and it achieves that goal.. The first time I stayed in a queen room, very smart, but facing onto Shaftsbury avenue which made it rather noisy. On my second stay I had a double room, which was internal without windows and rather small, I hadn't appreciated quite how small when I booked. Having said that, I got a good night's sleep. The staff were brilliant, they were friendly and helpful - very professional. The conversion work to create the hotel is impressive, the internal courtyard is a great piece of design.

If you want a convenient hotel with good service and style, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for an internally facing room to avoid the street noise which goes on all night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends