“How on earth did any of the staff get a job in Hospitality!?”
Review of The County Hotel

The County Hotel
Ranked #509 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My teenage son and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the county and although we were fully informed by previous guests, by reading this forum we still decided to try it.....due to location only.

I have to disagree slightly with one or two comments....

This is what we found! Hotel very outdated, reminded me of my old nurse quarters in the 80's (which was outdated even then). Scaffolding outside made the hotel look unwelcoming and shabby!!

Staff at reception obliging to a certain extent but lacked customer service skills and a friendly reassuring manner (I'd have given her 3/10 max) on checking in

Lift was scruffy with a ripped notice board on the wall

Room was slightly better than we expected in the way of cleanliness and size (clean sheets and comfyish bed, clean towels and room was a good size for us to share)taps in the room needed extra tightening or they continued to drip

Shower awful!! Even shocking.....I just don't know where to start on this one

Now for the breakfast!! If you stick to fruit, cereal and coffee you'll be ok. The cooked breakfast was terrible. Cold, green streaks in bacon and watery eggs. The bread rolls tasted funny too. The atmosphere in the breakfast room was depressing (I think there'd be a higher level of morale in a prison canteen). All this due to the extremely unfriendly staff (all foreign and segregated themselves in the corner) THIS WAS THE WORST PART OF MY STAY! They all need sacking in my opinion...oh and the cutlery was filthy

On checking out nobody said Thankyou or have a safe journey home....infact all the staff could bring themselves to do is point to a box in which to place my key

I would never stay here again and part with my hard earned cash for people who can't even smile....and god only knows where the owner is spending his/her money because it certainly isn't on the Hotel

I would rather spend extra on another hotel than feel this disappointed!!!

Room Tip: choose a room at the back. It's quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank FemaleTraveller9094

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Travelled to London with my two teenage children and we stayed at the County Hotel. The hotel was having refurbishment works at the time so the front of the hotel has scaffolding on it. Our stay was ok, not the best hotel I have stayed in but was adequate for what we required. The room was clean and tidy and the bed sheets clean and fresh. There are shared toilet facilities and these also clean and adequate, the showers were very good. If travelling to London I would recommend this hotel you only need the hotel for sleeping in. Have stayed here before and the first time the breakfast was really good but unfortunately this second time was not as good, maybe due to the refurbishment works.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rammy66
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel really is excellent value for its location - but will never win awards for it's rooms, service or breakfast.

The hotel is 2 minutes walk from Euston station and offers single private rooms with breakfast for around £30. The hotel is dated throughout - but the rooms are generally clean and include towels, tea and coffee making facilities and TV. All rooms come with washbasin, bathrooms are down the corridor - some have been recently refurbished, with some offering baths others just showers.

Breakfast is included, hot or continental buffet options are provided - served from around 7.30 - 9.30 - perfectly adequate. Reception staffed 24 hours.

Cleaners have a tendency to try and get into rooms to change bedding etc from about 8am - best to put your 'do not disturb' sign out - otherwise they will try to enter! I have stayed here a number of times over the last few years and would highly recommend it if you want an excellent value private room in central London - though would not recommend it for a special occasion!

Room Tip: Bathrooms on the first floor have been recently refurbished. As of March 2012, the front of the ho...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Andy N
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stay there every year when I go to London for the Palm Sunday weekend. If you are on a budget and you don't mind sharing bathrooms, this is your place. 5' walking from Euston Station and only 10' from the Eurostar terminal at St.Pancras International. And three tube stations from Oxford Street. So we have the location. Then we have the price: Imperial Hotels website 45 pounds, and you can find it even cheaper if you surf the net a bit before booking ;) Breakfast (not the best, but English breakfast) is included in the price. The staff is ready to help you (I had a problem with my Oyster card while in London and although my english is average I preferred the hotel staff to call for me to the Transport for London people. And they did it.)
For sure my hotel in London whilst I can't spend all my money in the accomodation

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank RomanetJC
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Me and my mum came here feb 2012 for 2 nights....it was the worst time ever!.....only positive i can give is that the reception staff were foreign, very friendly and speak better English than you and I. Got into a lift to go to our shared room and it was the oldest most rackety lift in the world, did not feel safe at all...had not realised (as the for the first time I didn't check reviews for this hotel) but your only usage of a toilet and shower is to share it with the other 10+ guests. Room was disgraceful!
i am not a fussy person at all, usually as long as its and clean and the bed is comfy I don't mind....this was not the case!
I expected a much better standard of room for it being in London! It was scruffy and it smelt! after a 'not so bad' nights sleep we went for breakfast...the restaurant (if I can call it that) staff were foreign they didn't seem to be able to speak english or they were damn rude! we helped ourselves to our breakfast and i regret i wish i hadnt, the egss were sloppy and watery..the bacon had green streaks in it!. the toast it was fabulous! :/
i must admit the area around the hotel was brilliant there was a lovely restaurant near by there's also nandos and few shopping facilities and the Hilton Hotel is straight opposite - wish id stayed there now! Train station very close by and extremely easy to get to the tourist attractions and theatres we needed to be at.

DO NOT STAY HERE!! IT WILL RUIN YOUR TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't chose a room...chose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Danielle G
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is a cheap and basic hotel.
The bathrooms are down the hall, some have been renovated, others not. Choose wisely as some of the showers don't work.
The breakfast was the best thing about the place, buffet hot and cold choices.
The rooms are small and basic, but adequate and have a TV.
But the corridor to my room smelt of urine, this is enough to put anyone off.
If you're looking for cheap accommodation, it's OK.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AussieBushSally
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Please, do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. I can't say enough how much staying here was an upsetting experience.

This is THE WORST AND MOST DEPRESSING place I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. I was not comfortable going to the bathroom at night to the the shared facilities where questionable looking characters sometimes lurked in hallways. You could hear everything in other rooms and doors were slamming all night long. I gave up showering and took to bird baths in the room after unsightly dark hair clumps in the shared showers remained for a few days and I realised the showers must not get cleaned. Toilets were often not flushed and often broken...yes...it was as disgusting as it sounds. It is in a terrible neighbourhood also with no restaurants nearby that are worth going to. You will have to travel out of the area to do anything.

There are moths/little bugs everywhere which get in your clothes.

The staff were terrible, unfriendly and unhelpful. The "breakfast" was pathetic and the staff in the dining area rude and again, unfriendly and unwelcoming. There are much better places to stay in London for a similar price in better areas. There is nothing in this area worth staying near. Being near to St Pancras international is no reason to stay here as you can get to it easy enough on the tube or by taxi. You would be better going to the Oxford YHA if you are on a budget. The Oxford YHA is modern, new, spotless and in a great location. Piccadilly Backpackers is another cheap option...not the greatest place to stay but it is honestly better than the County "Hotel".

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple