“Wouldn't stay again, but you get what you pay for”
Review of The County Hotel

The County Hotel
Ranked #504 of 896 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I went to London with a group of friends, one of which booked this hotel without checking. So this was not my choice. After reading all the reviews I was certainly not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was just like the pictures, and maybe I can sleep in any bed, but i slept quite well. The window could not be opened a little. It was either full or not at all, and being on the first floor with scaffolding right on the window giving easy access, the room was quite hot. The shared bathrooms were my biggest worry. However, they seem to be in the process or renovating and i was in the north end of the building (closest to Euston) and the bathrooms seemed to be brand new, unlike the very dilapidated bathrooms for other ends. Final advice, for a little more, (very little) you can stay at the sister hotel just down the road (the royal national) or travel lodge. If you don't mind sharing a bathroom and paying roughly the same as a hotel that would get you an en-suit, then stay here, its a bed and a roof.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Calum G
There are newer reviews for The County Hotel

Reviewed 3 May 2012

The hotel is in a great location just 5 minutes walk from Euston station, so perfect if you've come by train and just want to dump your bags and go sightseeing. Rooms are a little dated but perfectly clean, with a TV and tea and coffee and making facilities. The communal bath and shower area was lovely and appeared to be brand new. At the time we were staying the corridors were being repainted. Our room was very quiet with no noise from the street or other rooms. Breakfast is adequate. For the price, this is an excellent deal - virtually impossible to find in central London.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank bex76
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I went to go The County Hotel in for a short break to London with my boyfriend. The rooms are shabby and very basic but clean with everything you need. I would recommend that you do not have breakfast here - the hot food was stone cold when we went down to breakfast which was very off puting. As well as bowls and cutlery still having peices of food on it from when they were used by other guests I decided that it would be best to eat out from then on. The beds themselves are very comfy and were cleaned daily and is the reason why I have gave the hotel it's two star rating however I think that the hotel needs a complete overhaul to bring it into the 21st centuary. Also the way breakfast is served ie left in metal ramikans and put on a table is not acceptable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lynn S
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My teenage son and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the county and although we were fully informed by previous guests, by reading this forum we still decided to try it.....due to location only.

I have to disagree slightly with one or two comments....

This is what we found! Hotel very outdated, reminded me of my old nurse quarters in the 80's (which was outdated even then). Scaffolding outside made the hotel look unwelcoming and shabby!!

Staff at reception obliging to a certain extent but lacked customer service skills and a friendly reassuring manner (I'd have given her 3/10 max) on checking in

Lift was scruffy with a ripped notice board on the wall

Room was slightly better than we expected in the way of cleanliness and size (clean sheets and comfyish bed, clean towels and room was a good size for us to share)taps in the room needed extra tightening or they continued to drip

Shower awful!! Even shocking.....I just don't know where to start on this one

Now for the breakfast!! If you stick to fruit, cereal and coffee you'll be ok. The cooked breakfast was terrible. Cold, green streaks in bacon and watery eggs. The bread rolls tasted funny too. The atmosphere in the breakfast room was depressing (I think there'd be a higher level of morale in a prison canteen). All this due to the extremely unfriendly staff (all foreign and segregated themselves in the corner) THIS WAS THE WORST PART OF MY STAY! They all need sacking in my opinion...oh and the cutlery was filthy

On checking out nobody said Thankyou or have a safe journey home....infact all the staff could bring themselves to do is point to a box in which to place my key

I would never stay here again and part with my hard earned cash for people who can't even smile....and god only knows where the owner is spending his/her money because it certainly isn't on the Hotel

I would rather spend extra on another hotel than feel this disappointed!!!

Room Tip: choose a room at the back. It's quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank FemaleTraveller9094
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Travelled to London with my two teenage children and we stayed at the County Hotel. The hotel was having refurbishment works at the time so the front of the hotel has scaffolding on it. Our stay was ok, not the best hotel I have stayed in but was adequate for what we required. The room was clean and tidy and the bed sheets clean and fresh. There are shared toilet facilities and these also clean and adequate, the showers were very good. If travelling to London I would recommend this hotel you only need the hotel for sleeping in. Have stayed here before and the first time the breakfast was really good but unfortunately this second time was not as good, maybe due to the refurbishment works.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rammy66
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel really is excellent value for its location - but will never win awards for it's rooms, service or breakfast.

The hotel is 2 minutes walk from Euston station and offers single private rooms with breakfast for around £30. The hotel is dated throughout - but the rooms are generally clean and include towels, tea and coffee making facilities and TV. All rooms come with washbasin, bathrooms are down the corridor - some have been recently refurbished, with some offering baths others just showers.

Breakfast is included, hot or continental buffet options are provided - served from around 7.30 - 9.30 - perfectly adequate. Reception staffed 24 hours.

Cleaners have a tendency to try and get into rooms to change bedding etc from about 8am - best to put your 'do not disturb' sign out - otherwise they will try to enter! I have stayed here a number of times over the last few years and would highly recommend it if you want an excellent value private room in central London - though would not recommend it for a special occasion!

Room Tip: Bathrooms on the first floor have been recently refurbished. As of March 2012, the front of the ho...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Andy N
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stay there every year when I go to London for the Palm Sunday weekend. If you are on a budget and you don't mind sharing bathrooms, this is your place. 5' walking from Euston Station and only 10' from the Eurostar terminal at St.Pancras International. And three tube stations from Oxford Street. So we have the location. Then we have the price: Imperial Hotels website 45 pounds, and you can find it even cheaper if you surf the net a bit before booking ;) Breakfast (not the best, but English breakfast) is included in the price. The staff is ready to help you (I had a problem with my Oyster card while in London and although my english is average I preferred the hotel staff to call for me to the Transport for London people. And they did it.)
For sure my hotel in London whilst I can't spend all my money in the accomodation

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo