“Excellent hotel and staff, just a bit off the beaten path.”

Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel
Ranked #191 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I'm a Priority Club member using points and this was the only Holiday Inn property available. I booked a double room for 4 nights. The hotel was a quick 10 minute walk via Cavell Street from the Whitechapel tube stop. The hotel appears brand new. Check in was efficient and friendly, I was upgraded to an Executive room. The room was huge: king bed, large flat screen TV, nice bathroom, hot water pot with tea and coffee. The first night I couldn't figure out the complicated heating system but the front desk manager quicky came up and got it going. Room was very quiet and comfortable. Oddly the room was very large but lacked storage. The room needed a dresser to store clothes. The closet was good sized, but oddly placed by the bathroom door so the closet and bathroom doors were always hitting each other.
Lobby was spacious and comfortable although I didn't use the restaurant or bar. A Tesco is just up the street to purchase all types of food items.
The area is not a tourist area at all but not unsafe. In the evenings there are few places to eat, but the Turkish restaurant, Efes, is very good.
A must is to visit Brick Lane on a weekend. Skip the restaurants and look for the indoor food markets with fabulous food fresh-cooked from all over the world, amazing! Also shops and stalls selling art and clothing.
If you are a first time tourist, I would choose a hotel right in the center of London. But if you are a bit adventurous and don't mind using the bus and tube a lot, this is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to an Executive room, they are huge!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Roger R
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following you stay. As General Manager I was very pleased to read you found the hotel and the team excellent and your recommendations for local places to eat are great. Brick Lane is a must for anyone staying in East London!. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

New with modern style and conveniences. The bed was quite comfortable and the room was very clean. The breakfasts were also good. We really appreciated the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff! It is a great place to stay in East London.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LKA2978

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and recommending us a great place to stay in East London. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very nice hotel, good rooms, breakfast etc. Very convenient to the DLR, 3 mins walk, but be careful walking to/from at night as the general area is not great from a safety perspective although perfectly fine during the day.

Room Tip: Easy access from the DLR
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. Im pleased you liked the hotel and found it convenient to access the DLR. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I booked a room at this hotel on the 'Name Your Own Price' section of Priceline -- and was a bit hesitant when I found out that I was staying at a Holiday Inn. However, when I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by how upscale and clean it was. That said, it is still a bit far away from most of London's best attractions, so what you save on costs you make up for in taxis or time spent traveling into town. It's in an ecclectic part of town - which actually has great ethnic restaurants, etc., it's just a little off the beaten path from Central London. The customer service was terrific, and the rooms were extremely clean and pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I'm pleased we were able to surprise you a little with the quality of the hotel and the team. I hope you will consider staying in more Holiday Inn's in the future and especially this one should you visit London once again.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Hotel is about 7 minute walk from Shadwell Station on the DLR. Easy to find. Room was very clean and well decorated. will stay there again, as much better priced than some of those in more central london. Didnt eat an evening meal but breakfast was good. Staff also very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Dont get the hotel to book you a cab, our experience was whilst the Cab was a nice car the driver th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your last stay with us. I was pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay and found the team to be friendly and helpful. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I am a well seasoned traveler and stayed over for 2 nights recently. Lovely rooms, but a few teething troubles with noisy plumbing. Our complaint was dealt with immediately. Management ensured our every need was catered for. Special praise for the breakfast room Manager and the quality of the meals. Nothing was too much trouble.

After checkout from the hotel some luggage was overlooked and left in a black cab. The cabbie immediately contacted the hotel, management once again came to our rescue and assisted in every way possible well beyond the call of duty to ensure we were reunited with our luggage. Matthew very special thanks, we look forward to seeing you again on our next trip, but will not be surprised if you have been promoted and gone onto higher things, as you so deserve.

Room Tip: Higher floors at back may not have a great view,( as this area has yet to be upgraded), but very goo...
1  Thank bluekanuke

Thank your for taking the time to pass on your comments following your last stay with us. I was very pleased to read you had a great stay and the team, especially Matthew, made it a smooth one. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently stayed here for four nights while doing some sight-seeing in London. I chose this hotel because, while not very close to the central sights, was better-priced and close to transit stations.

The room was very clean and modern and the only outside noise that made it through the glass were ambulance sirens from the nearby hospital. Considering I wear earplugs at night anyway (since my travel partner snores), this didn't really bother me.

A lot of people complain about the neighborhood, and I have to agree to an extent. On the walk from the hotel to Whitechapel station, I didn't feel very safe and there were posters up warning of crime in the area (Yikes!). On the walk from the hotel to Shadwell station though, most of the walk is through an open market that felt much safer. After the earlier experience with the walk to Whitechapel, we decided that we would use Shadwell to get where we needed to go (the first Shadwell overground stop is Whitechapel, so we just switched there for Underground if needed). There are also very few restaurants in the area, which was disappointing since I didn't get to try out the variety of foods I was hoping to on this trip.

The hotel does have a Starbucks, which was excellent most of the time we tried it. I can't remember the guy's name, but the one who made our drinks most of the time was very friendly.

We tried out the hotel's restaurant one night while with a friend who was visiting us from Germany. The food was mediocre at best and was overpriced for what it was. Plan to eat dinner before coming back to the hotel for the night to avoid this disappointment.

The worst issue I had with the hotel staff was really the refusal to call an official black cab for us. The hotel has a 'partnership' with another cab company and kept making excuses as to why they wouldn't/couldn't book a black cab. So, we had to do it ourselves from the room and then pay a charge for using the phone (even though it was a local call).

In the end, I'd recommend this hotel if you are traveling light and don't mind spending 30 minutes or more in combined walking and public transport to get you to main tourist areas. If you have a lot of luggage though and want to be closer to central London, you might want to book elsewhere. While the hotel you get might be more expensive, you'll likely save on cab fare (one-way from our hotel to Paddington was over $50 USD).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emily J
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I was pleased to read you found the room clean, modern and of a good size however I was concerned to read your comments regarding your experience in the Restaurant and with the team. I have already spoken to the teams to address the issues you raised and hope they will not affect others going forward. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will consider using the hotel the next time you need accommodation in London.