“Good Value for good hotel”

Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel
Ranked #186 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value for good hotel”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when visiting the taste London food festival at Tobacco Dock, which is just a 10 min walk away. Been warned though, no where to park!! The hotel is in a good london for east London, not far from Liverpool Street and Shoreditch. It is rather new, so very clean, crisp with an excellent bar with world beers. The lobby is in a great state and staff are all friendly. The room was really nice, big, airy with good facilities and a top notch bed. Really comfortable stay so would recommend for couples and groups, although location on commercial road not ideal for families

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
James D, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear BradC

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, we really appreciate the feedback. I was really pleased to see your comments about our selection of beers and the freshness of the hotel. As you are no doubt are aware a lot of guest attending functions at Tobacco dock stay with us, so I hope that next time you are attending an event there you stay with us again.
James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Connecticut
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was looking for a lower cost option in the East London area and chose this hotel based on other traveler reviews. I would recommend as long as location is not an issue. It is about a 20 minute brisk walk to the center of the financial district (Bank stop). Tube stops are a bit inconvenient, but you have Aldgate East, White Chapel, and Shadwell each about 5-10 minute walk. Pros: Very new and clean. Nice gym in the basement. Staff is always available and very friendly. Free wifi is pretty stable. Room cleaning was excellent. Towels are giant! Cons: Hotel Location - The hotel is in an up and coming area, so the restaurant options are limited within walking distance, although Shoreditch is a 10 minute walk to the North. Farther from where others in my group were staying (mostly west of the city). Towels were replaced nightly, which might be a positive for most, but I thought it was wasteful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear tbsd1369

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a trip advisor review, we really appreciate the feedback. I was really delighted to read your comments about our facilities including the room and the Gym. A few of our other guest have commented about location too, but there is a huge amount of investment coming the Whitechapel and Shadwell areas of the coming years. I hope that you stay with us again.
James
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 February 2014

my stay was basically a night mare. 1st of all the mini bar was not working and I had to throw all the purchased goods . 2ndly even with the maintainence team checking over the mini bar several times no body even bother to clean the dirt gathered at the back of it. 3rdly being a platinum member with IHG all hotels do charge me upon checking out excpet this hotel . When I have checked with the front desk team they said sorry and they blame it to the operating system.

another shocking event , when my room key did not fucntion and despite the fact that I stayed many times within this hotel the front desk guy ( salah) did ask for my personal ID to re - activate my card despite the fact that they just ask client their name without showing any cards..

over all the stay was a tragedy with all means and I will never ever repeat such mistake

Room Tip: horrible hotel
Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Walid S
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Mr Saboba, Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for taking the time to review our property. We pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and as General Manager for the hotel I regret that we failed to deliver on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you received. I have already discussed your comments with the team here and you can be confident that corrective measures will be taken to improve our guest services. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose IHG for your travel needs. Sincerely, James Doyle.
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The area of location has not the best rating among Londoners, but this is London, not England! Hotel is close to a big hospital and mosque, so the choice is yours.
Hotel itself looks like an oasis in the desert: nice and modern. Very kind service in reception and in restaurant. Well-appointed room with HDD TV, kettle, iron, minibar etc. Unfortunately in the closet was only one shelf and it was not enough for me. Also I did not like the air conditioner: it was quit tricky to find the best position of switch for fresh but not too cold air.
Breakfast for tasty, but every morning 100% the same choice. Instead of pancake machine (!) I recommend purchasing a modern coffee machine. But originally Holiday Inn is a U.S. motel chain and Americans prefer coffee pot, so...
There was a bus stop on the Commercial road and lot of different bus routes, but still prefer underground. To the nearest station (Whitechapel) you have to walk ca 10 min, but DLR station (Shadwell) is closer. Anyway, for reaching the Piccadilly Circus it means 10 stops = 20 min including 1 transfer in Kings Cross.
Overall: a good base for a few days in London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. Your feedback is very valuable to us and allows us to continually evaluate our current service. Overall I was pleased to note you found the hotel comfortable and a good base to explore London.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I must have stayed at them all several times but this is the best HI in all of London Town!
It is of course new and that makes such a big difference as the rest need refurbs desperately. But it also has big rooms. I had a lovely Executive room with no view to speak of but quiet down the side of the building. An upgrade at last - thanks IHG.
It is reasonably priced which of course it should be as it is somewhat out of the centre. But it is well connected by the Tube from Whitechapel & the DLR from Shadwell as others have mentioned. But don't forget the buses! I took the 15 from literally outside the hotel to the Strand past the Tower of London, St Paul's & the millennium bridge (Tate Modern) as well as the Gherkin & Walkie Talkie. Of course the Strand is the edge of the West End, Soho & China Town.
I walked up less than 10 minutes to Shaftesbury Ave to see The Commitments. Covent Garden & the Royal Opera House is of course also just there.
So potentially a great base for exploring.
The staff have been brilliant, helpful & friendly. Breakfast is good & the bar a nice place to relax of an evening. A light lunch for about £5.50 and a pint of cider for £3.80 (yes in London) makes the extra bit of travelling worth the effort.
I will be back asking for a city view next time as well as a wonderful large room with on this occasion a desk, comfy chair, sofa & coffee table as well as big comfy bed, big TV, bathroom with bath and rain shower.
Thank you HI Commercial Road!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julian A, thank you for such as great review. Its always nice to hear from our guests to understand how we are performing and to hear you rate us as the best Holiday Inn in London is the best possible compliment you could pay us. Thank you! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Firstly, our stay was made very pleasant by the young chap Shams, very kind, courteous, delivered great service. Now let's talk business, the rooms themselves were fantastic, we watched the FA cup highlights in bed and were very happy with the quality of goals on show. When I eventually fell asleep, I woke up in the middle of the night very sweaty, sad to discover the bed sheets were not sweat proof and I was, for sure, performing a breast stroke in a couple of centimetres of my own sweat. When I finally swam to the shore, and found the temperature control, I dropped it too low, when I fell back to sleep, i woke up AGAIN on a bed of ice this time. As you would, I immediately went onto eBay to find a pair of ice skates but was disappointed when they were not delivered within 10 minutes of my purchase.

Then onto the restaurant, very nice, although the view outside is not brilliant, you're somewhat overwhelmed and mesmerised by the spinning doors at reception. The food itself was nice, as you'd expect, although the 'chunky chips' as advertised on the menu were not actually chunky, they looked as if they had lost weight on their way out of the kitchen, standard chips from Iceland, tasty though.

On checkout I was treated with respect and a smile, I took my bags, finished my strawberry and cream double espresso skinny frapuccino and departed onto my next adventure.

Overall, quite pleasant, expect the unexpected in your sleep, take time to step back and admire the view in the elevator, take a couple of selfies.

Bill from Manchester

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank HappyBill12
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear HappyBill12,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your experience with us. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations and I appreciate the special mention you made to a member of our team.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered in your room and truly sorry that this has negatively affected your sleep. We deeply regret that the poor experience and negative impressions you may have had.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Great room, spacious executive room on 4th floor. Quiet location at back of hotel. Staff were very efficient and friendly, in particular Matthew on front desk/concierge was very helpful in correspondence before we arrived and then on check in. We ate in the restaurant a couple of nights, which was good, and breakfast was fabulous. Putting the pancake machine to good use! Yum! There's not many restaurants or shops in the immediate area, but very close to shadwell dlr line from the city airport, and also whitechapel tube station in the other direction, about 5/10 mins walk, so easy access to Central London. The tower bridge is an easy 15 min walk and lots of nice restaurants there. So overall a good base for a few days in London.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SCMSCM, thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your last stay with us. I was very pleased to read you had a good stay and found the hotel the ideal base and location to explore London. It was also great to read Matthew stood out to you during your stay. He has been recognised for this within the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.