“Great weekend stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #214 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great weekend stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This hotel was great, we only stayed for the weekend but were really impressed with it.

1) The rooms with good sized & very clean
2) The rooms were quiet- couldn't hear other residents or doors slamming etc
3) The staff were amazing esp at Breakfast! The team couldn't do enough for you and were so polite, quick & friendly. Definately made us feel welcome and offered a great smiley start to the day
4) Bed was comfy too- only thing was it could have been a bit bigger.

Although only about a 10 minute walk from Whitechapel tube station, the walk didn't feel the safest of walks. Felt like the walk was in quite a "rough" area which didn't make us feel that safe coming back later in the evening, but was fine in the day with lots of people walking around due to the hospital near by.

Was good to have a tescos nearby to help stock up on our drinks for a travels for the day too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Mutley_sanj, I'm pleased you were impressed with the hotel during your weekend with us and thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here recently on a Friday night.
We arrived before 1pm but we were able to check in early without any problems. We also upgraded to an executive room for an additional £20. My boyfriend 'dropped' that it was my birthday and we were given free breakfast vouchers for the morning.
The room was lovely and very spacious, it had everything you could need. It was also quiet, we didn't hear any noise from other rooms or outside.
We used the Whitechapel tube station to get into the touristy areas. It took no longer then 10mins to walk to. We booked this hotel because it was a short walk to Brick Lane/Shorditch were there are a few bars and food places.
We took a taxi to Covent Garden to the theatre in the evening which cost £16.
The breakfast was brilliant, lots to chose from. We both had a hot cooked breakfast along with cereal and pastries.
All staff were very polite and helpful.
We will definitely consider booking this East End hotel again next time we are in London.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Helen_n_Frank, thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. Im pleased to read you had a great birthday stay with us and will consider staying with us again in the future!
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Very nice hotel booked through Hotwire nice room comfy bed snazzy bathroom quite ....should of taken up the £10 for breakfast option very friendly staff bar was reasonable for hotel to would go there again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review of the hotel. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay.
St Clement, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel is situated on the Commercial Road, close the Shadwell DLR station. By taxi from London City Airport it takes about 15 mins and costs about £15. A taxi to Tower Hill (my reason for being there was to take a guest to dinner at Trinity House) was £10.

We arrived on the early flight from Jersey, and partly due to being a loyalty member and vacant accommodation, were allocated rooms on arrival - a considerable benefit.

Receptionist Eszter was most helpful, arranging a bacon roll and coffee breakfast after registering and then, after unpacking, directing us to Shadwell Station through Watney Market - so convenient!!

On returning and changing for the evening, I found my travelling razor had broken. No problem! I phoned down and within minutes a disposable razor (with foam) was delivered!

The private taxis organised by the hotel are in fact executive cars but at taxi rates. We pre-booked two whilst we were there and they arrived on time and with helpful drivers.

The second night, with no restaurants we liked within walking distance, we decided to eat in. An excellent meal efficiently served by Amelia (?). Prior to that we had drinks at the bar by an efficient and understanding barman. One of the best G & T's I've had - cold tonic and with ice and lime (not lemon). So good we had another!!

When we left at 0745 to catch our flight, our taxi was waiting and our bags taken to the car!

So refreshing to find a large chain hotel with such a friendly approach.

For some years I've been looking for a reasonable hotel somewhere convenient between London City Airport and the City and with taxis on hand - at last I've found it. We will be back!!

Just one point. The London taxi driver who took us from the Airport, born in neighbouring Stepney, didn't know the hotel, but I gave him Cavill St from the print -out which helped. Perhaps a sign at canopy level facing onto Commericial Road would assist? The only signage is at top floor level.

Room Tip: Our rooms were facing onto Cavill St, with little traffic, but I think most of the rooms are. No noi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear ancientmariner_12, thank you for taking the time to pass on such a detailed review of the hotel. I was very pleased to read you had a great stay and the team hear were able to meet your needed. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Blyth, Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights very recently for a theatre break....... spotlessly clean, great value for money. Modern bright, spacious and airy. Staff were so kind and helpful..... I arrived at 1:10pm (after a 6 hour drive from Newcastle!) not realising it was a 2pm check in and was naturally a little curt with Martin who checked us in. I explained we had minutes to change and get to a Matinee..... he was so nice and helpful and got us a room straight away and sorted oot a cab for us! We had the nicest stay and all staff were excellent and so kind polite and helpful.... Going back on 25 April. P.S the breakfast is to die for.......

Room Tip: any room on any floor with an even number
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Farve965, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I was pleased to read we helps make your stay a good one and we look forward to welcoming you back in April. Regards James Doyle
Shoeburyness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I work I the square mile and stay here every now and again when I need to attend an evening function and don't want to get the last train home with the drunks. I always seem to get a good deal as its away from the obvious tourist and business spots.

The hotel is great; modern clean and comfortable with good breakfast and a charming bar. The area sometimes feels potentially threatening but in truth I have never had a problem and there is the overriding advantage that the No 15 bus which runs to the City and Trafalgar Square stops right outside.

Its also great if you want to see a bit of the traditional East End and marvel at the staggering - and wonderful - cultural difference that exists between this area and the City just a mile away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding the hotel. As General Manager I was pleased to read you find the hotel a great place and we meet your needs when you stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed here with my wife for a 2 night weekend break and was impressed by everything about this hotel. I'm a Gold priority club member, so use IHG hotels quite a lot and stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's around the country.

This one is the best I've stayed in.

The rooms were first rate - large for London at very reasonable prices when booked early. Every member of staff I came across was polite and helpful. I've had a lot worse service in so called 5 star hotels in London.

The hotel isn't in the 'best' area but tube links were good with Shadwell being a 5 minute walk then 1 stop to bank station in the city.

Would I stay here again? Definitely - it will become my hotel of choice when staying in London.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Stanleyunwin, thank you for your fantastic review and for choosing us as your "hotel of choice in London". This is a great compliment! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.