“Nice Surprise”

Ranked #205 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

When travelling to Europe I rarely stay in a Hotel Chain, more preferably a bed and breakfast or farm stay. We had just two nights in London, with very short notice, and were so pleased with this hotel. It was new and clean, very comfortable beds and pillows, and a great price for London. It was outside the central tourist zone, but we were willing to use public transportation to save $100 per night in lodging. The staff was incredibly helpful, unlike most hotel staffs that are totally indifferent. If you are needing travel help, late in the evening is preferable to early morning when everyone is checking out. As others have mentioned bus 15 stops a very short distance from the hotel. We also walked about 20-25 minutes to the Tower of London. The neighborhood is a little sketchy, but we avoided after dark. There are also 3 Tube stations close by, however, we did not use them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Susan D, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team incredibly helpful. I know they take great pride in what they do and your feedback is a great way for them to know they are getting it right! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you find yourself in London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Launceston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here for one night during a conference we attended at Guy's Hospital and chose it for the convenient location as well as value for money. We were not disappointed in either respect. It is very easy to get to on either the DLR or District Line. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable and the staff especially welcoming and friendly. Free wifi in the room is a bonus. The room compared well to other budget rooms we have stayed in, being well laid-out and with a good sized bathroom. We were on the 5th floor and heard almost no noise from adjoining rooms and none from outside. The full English breakfast was plentiful and good. Altogether we felt it was a good choice for our needs and would definitely stay here again in future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your detailed and glowing review following your stay with us. Its always great to hear from our guests who rate the hotel and will not hesitate to return. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I had 2 days in this hotel on business, it served a purpose as somewhere to get my head down local to the place of work.

The hotel is perfectly clean and fuctional, if a little sterile. The rooms are spacious and well decorated, but it is plain to see that economies have been made. The toilet seat being a point in case.

I could not get comfortable with the pillows, again I suspect economies have been made - in my opinion in the wrong areas.

The mini bar was well stocked, with... water and coca cola. No alcohol or spirits despite there being a price list detailing a whole raft of beverages.

The breakfasts are actually fantastic, top marks. I didnt have dinner in the hotel.

This area (Shadwell) is a bit run down, and perhaps not the sort of place for an evening stroll. Despite this, the hotel seems to be able to charge top London rates.

I was in a rush this morning, and there was only one receptionist busying herself with some mediocre guest enquiry whilst the queue of people waiting to checkout grew. I therefore left my cardkey on the desk and left. I called them to explain the situation, and was put through to an extension that wasnt answered. I imagine by now they will have realised I have gone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Fletchinsky, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I was pleased to read you found aspects of your stay enjoyable such as breakfast but also a little concerned and surprised about some of your other comments. Thank you for your feedback regarding the pillows and can assure you no economies have been made here. In fact we offer both hard and soft pillows on our beds as standard to meet the different requirements of our guests and also offer a selection of different pillows such as anti-allergies pillows which are all conveniently detailed in our Hotel Directory listed via the interactive section of the TV system. In regards to the mini bar only stocking soft drinks we have found that these are the common drinks taken by our guests but by removing the alcohol, which is available 24 hours via room service we have also been able to offer our guests a small refrigeration space for their personal items. Some thing that is well received by most. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. Yours sincerely James Doyle
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

It was only business in the area that led to this stay. I felt that was the same for the majority of the guests I saw. This is a good, clean modern hotel with keen and friendly staff. The internet is superb and the beds are large and comfortable. its a quiet place too.
A bottle of water in the room would have been welcome, but that is all it lacks. Outside however is not London's poshest quarter, in fact you might wonder if you are in London at all, but Canary Wharf and the City and just a short hop away. Not for tourists unfortunately.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I was pleased to note you found the hotel clean, modern and the team friendly. I hope you will consider staying with us once again when your are next in London.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a very pleasant few days here in March, and enjoyed the stay.

What really impressed us, though, was the incredible welcome from Esther (I think I have that right) at reception when we arrived. We were very early indeed (mid-morning in fact) but were given our room there and then without any fuss at all. Esther was one of the most welcoming, efficient and helpful reception staff I've ever encountered, and she really knew how to make guests feel welcome on arrival.

All the other staff we met were friendly, helpful and happy - a good sign.

The room was very well soundproofed, with efficient heating and air conditioning (it was warmer than usual for March). We were several floors up, and there was virtually no traffic noise - just the odd ambulance siren from the London Hospital, just up the road.

There are restaurants around (with a McDonalds just up the road) and a pretty good street market opposite. Transport links are excellent. Buses run from just outside the hotel and are frequent.

Shower only (no bath) was a disappointment, but that apart the room was fine. Few faults, but worth mentioning perhaps that it's a false economy for hotels to provide cheap toilet paper - people just use twice as much and it makes the hotel chain look cheapskate.

More seriously, however, the toilet flush had been designed or doctored in some way to make it use less water. This meant that it frequently took several attempts to get it to flush properly, and involved holding the buttons down for about a minute at a time - what a waste of time. It was reported, and dealt with, but there was no improvement. I imagine all the toilets are the same, and that there's no way of making them work properly. Not the fault of the staff in any way - just bad design.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ShingleSheet, Thank you for taking the time to review your hotel experience with us. I was very pleased to read your feedback about the team and especially Eszter. I will ensure she receives some recognition for the fantastic service she gave. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Regards James
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This Holiday Inn is pretty standard and what you'd expect from the chain. The building seems quite new and the room I was in reflected that with the decor and facilities looking fresh. The hotel is about ten minutes walk from the Whitechapel tube station and bus stops, down quite a badly lit road which I didn't feel safe walking down. For that reason, I'm unlikely to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Rotelharp, thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. It is unfortunate that while the hotel was to your liking the location is not. I hope you will re-consider staying with us in the future and maybe use one of the well connected bus stops directly opposite the hotel or either Shadwell DLR station or Aldgate East Tube station, both of which are different routes to the one you took to Whitechapel Station.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Well, what a pleasant surprise. A neat reception area welcoming, fantastic staff, very easy going friendly, non of this fake corporate greeting, just decent honest welcoming like a friend :)

Same for the staff at the bar/coffee area, just really nice friendliness.

Then off to the room, very tidy, very comfortable, fresh feeling, nice bathroom, nice room, comfy bed, fresh air and clean window.

Rapid internet speed all for free, I got 34 MegaBits for both upload and download.

Breakfast was excellent service, brilliant staff who helped at every instance.

Recommended and hope to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and recommendation following your stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you found the team fantastic in all areas of the hotel. Its always nice to hear feedback like that! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.