“Friendly Hotel”

Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel
Ranked #191 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Enjoyed staying here for business visit in the area. Hotel a bit of a haven in a not so nice area, although didn't feel nervous at all. Polish bar man kept the place ticking over and was always very friendly and competent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. Im pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team made it a comfortable one for you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Standard Holiday Inn setup, really. Everything was in good repair and clean, and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I can't recommend them highly enough.

My wife and I stayed for a concert at the O2 Arena, and we had reservations about returning from Shadwell DLR station at night through the local area. We didn't have any problems whatsoever but I could see some people being nervous with the walk. There's other transport options available; don't let that put you off the hotel.

If I have a reason to return to the area then I'll happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher the better, but in some rooms (601 for us) you can hear the lift at night. The other rooms pr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Darren H, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I was pleased you found the hotel comfortable and the service you received from the front desk team highly recommendable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. Did the walk from whitechapel station at 9pm alone - fortunately it was light but it still felt a bit unsafe and I would hate to have done it in the dark. Once inside the hotel though I thought it was good - comfy bed, large room, decent bathroom. And then in the morning breakfast was excellent. Wish I'd spotted the pancake machine sooner though and I might stay again just so I can investigate how on earth this works!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lozza1uk

Dear Lozza1uk, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay with us. I was pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your breakfast. You really must return to try our pancakes.. cooked fresh for you at the touch of a button! I look forward to welcoming you back soon and hearing your feedback on the pancakes... which I know you will love!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just spent 11 days at this hotel and it's pretty great. Obviously this location is meant for the business traveler since there isn't enough places to stash your and your loved ones clothes for 11 days, but we made do.

PROS:
*Near lots of transit including Shadwell DLR, Overground, and Whitechapel tube stop off the District and Hammersmith and City lines.
*Great staff.
*Clean, modern, comfortable, and well laid out.
*Quite even though we had a road facing unit.
*Starbucks coffee beverages served at bar when it's open.
*You can ask the bar for ice and take it back to your room.
*Mini fridge can be emptied out for minimal food storage.
*Close to a Tesco Express and near a Sainsbury's
*Fast internet.
*Excellent cleaning crew. Maria took care of us by remembering that we liked extra sugars, more towels, and sparkling water.
*Executive rooms get complimentary still and sparkling water daily plus a kit kat bar. Was a nice touch.
*Shower has good pressure and an adjustable shower head.
*Tub is big.
*Easy to control temp in room.
*Near London Bridge, The Tower of London, and Brick Lane.
*Bed is firm. I thought it was very comfortable. When I asked for extra blankets I was given them quickly and with a smile.
*Drapes can make it totally dark in the room.
*Lots of outlets all in the right places!

CONS:
*There really isn't much food nearby. It's a Muslim area and there's pretty much just fried chicken and kebab places nearby.
*Can take about 30 min to get into the touristy areas of London.
*In Zone 2 so costs a bit more for the tube.
*Bar tender has weird hours so I couldn't always get a beverage when I wanted one.
*As in most British hotels tv channels are very limited.
*The area may seem gritty and "ethnic" to some. I always felt safe, but wasn't out past midnight.
*Very quiet area after 7pm.
*Not many places to store your clothes or belongings.
*Mostly designed for business travelers who are alone. No sitting are to accommodate two people at once.
*Bed is firm. My husband called it "actively evil". We added a folded comforter to his side of the bed under the sheets like a topper and he was much happier.
*Pillows are pretty flat and sad.

All in all I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again since it's a real value for the amenities and staff in London. If I was on a super touristy trip I would stay nearer to the heart of London or the west side since my time is more valuable then. Since I've been to London a bunch this was a great location for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cybil S
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Whitechapel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Cybil S, Thank you for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review. I know a lot of our future guests will find it very useful. I would very pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us during your time in London and would use us again in the future. Some of the points you list have got me thinking and I will certainly explore them further, such as storage facilities for guests stay for an extended period of time. Once again thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a city trip in London.
The hotel is located outside of the city centre, but with the Underground close to the hotel this location is quite good for a city trip. Close to the hotel there are some supermarkets and a lot of options for dinner.

Hotel itself is clean and the rooms size is good and are designed in modern colours.
Breakfast at the hotel was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the hotel following you stay with us. I'm pleased you had a great time and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

What a great weekend stay I had at the Holiday Inn. Really nice big rooms, fantastic staff throughout and a very relaxed atmosphere. The hotel is pretty new with all the benefits that brings.

I know there have been some concerns on here about the location. I thought the opposite. This is the 'real' East End of London and while it can be a bit seedy at times its not dangerous. Its a great area to stay in with lots of little places to discover. Also, great transport links close by and a Barclays Bike stand opposite.

Its a great choice for London

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marraminga

Thank you for the fantastic review! Its always great to hear the team have ensured our guests have a great stay with us! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 night here for a weekend break. Whilst the location may not be the nicest, it certainly wasn't a major issue. A short walk from the DLR and you are there.

Upon arrival I was fortunate to be upgraded to an executive room. This meant a larger bed, complimentary water and a lovely feel to the room. Certainly as a base for 2 nights it was ideal. From arrival the staff were really helpful. Happy to take and store luggage and even gave me a map to brick lane.

We had a slight problem on day 2. I woke up and used the over head rain shower which was lovely and refreshing. Whilst my other half was in there I came back into the bedroom to discover the carpet by the bathroom looked wet. It was actually soaking. However I reported it to reception, the lady was very apologetic and promised to get it sorted whilst I was out.

Came back later, entered the room to an awful smell and wet floor. The guy on reception was equally apologetic and explained the issue was serious and the hotel had allocated is another room (next door). He even asked if I needed help moving. The only minor complaint was that there was no message in the room to advise me to speak to reception. He was even apologetic about this.

Overall an excellent stay, the shower problem was a pain but these things happen. Provided the staff are as helpful and courteous about the issues when they happen then nothing more needs to be said.

Excellent hotel, great staff and certainly I will be returning for another stay.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your weekend stay with us. Please let me apologise for the issue you faced with the shower. Im pleased to read the team responded well to this issue for you and ensured it caused as little disruption to your stay as possible. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.