“Horror! Horror!! Don't go here if you're looking for a vegetarian meal!!”
Review of Gioberti - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Horror! Horror! Horror! I took my 9 year old daughter here today for what I thought would be a lovely way to spend quaility time during half term. We are both strict vegetarians which is why an Italian restaurant is always a good place to go to given how well they cater for this. I ordered the Penne Sciciliano and the Spaghetti Neopolitana for my little girl - both very well known standard pasta dishes.
Food arrived and we started to tuck in. After a few spoonfuls, my daughter decided to toss the spaghetti around in the sauce and I dropped my cutlery in horror! There was bolognaise looking 'bits' in there. My poor daughter burst into floods of tears and the waitress rocked up. I explained that there was meat in the Neopolitana sauce and that we were both vegetarians - worse still, bolognaise contains beef and we are both Hindus! This is pretty much the worst thing that my daughter could have eaten and she knew it, hence the tears! I was also pretty close to tears myself and just wanted to get out of there despite offers of apologies/free dessert to take away etc. The very disappointng thing was that the manager didn't even come over to see what was going on as by now, the whole restaurant could see how upset my little girl was.
Disaster and will not be going back in there!!

There are newer reviews for Gioberti

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Above average, been twice. Varied menu, lots of starters. Good pasta, pizzas, fish and steak dishes. A bit cramped inside, narrow but a long restaurant. Can dine outside Al fresco.
Prices a little high, good desserts and service.

Would return,

Reviewed 13 September 2013

A dingy little place that could be classed as cosy with a little interior designing in mind. Hardly any natural light if you are unlucky to be seated at the rear and hard bench seating which is incredibly uncomfortable. An array of cheap posters of film gangsters affiliates this place to Italy as many of the staff and cooks are not, although I was informed the two owner brothers are. Almost impossible to read the hand written scrawl of a menu in the near darkness without help and had to make do with the help of my lady's mobile phone torch. Any queries regarding the menu had to be referred to the chef as the lady said 'I donno for dis' and kept going off to ask somebody.

As regards the food, everything seems to come with cherry tomatoes as though they were a threepenny bit in a Christmas Pud. They sell these for a pound a bag these days everywhere. Further, many dishes come with Gioberti's 'Famous Fish Stock' (sorry did I miss an episode of Dragons Den?). What is apparent is the sky high prices for such average fare that tasted no better than a top end ready meal. Starters between £7-£10 which are minuscule in quantity, 'leaves' out of a salad bag, a bit of cheese and more cherry tomatoes! Mains, rocket in price to over £21.00! again, tiny portions, even my lady friend who is a size 6 had to have more to eat when she got home after a starter and main. Generally miserable and rude waiting staff, not very attentive, looking as though they just want the table back before you have even ordered anything.

Cramped seating throughout, inch or two between tables at the front and peoples backsides in ones dinner as they get out of the bench arrangement to go to the equally cramped loos which one can just about swivel round in if you are more than 15 stone. All in all, not a very enjoyable experience and there are far better spacious places around to spend ones hard earned cash.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Good and tasty italian dishes and friendly service! It is a simple and great local option. The pizza is a great size for the value.

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

This is one of our local restaurants haven't eaten in a while , when we did I was disappointed the salad for £6.25 amounted to a few cherry tomoatoes rockets leaves and dressing in tiny bowl. The prices are way too high for what we ordered and the food just ok. It's a shame really won't be coming back here soon.

1  Thank Pmenon13