“Coffee for people who don't know what coffee is. And tourists. ”

Monmouth Coffee - The Borough
Ranked #6 of 664 Coffee & Tea in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Coffee for people who don't know what coffee is. And tourists. ”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

London might have the first underground railway, but it most certainly hasn't kept up with the world. Similarly, Monmouth might be one of the first to start focusing on producing specialty coffee, but it most certainly hasn't kept up with its competitors.

Coffee is consistently burnt from over-extraction. I cannot stress how depressing it is to taste the destroyed potential of the coffee in my cup. I also cannot stress enough my bewilderment at why I gave Monmouth more than one try.

If you have to drink at Monmouth, douse your coffee in milk so you can drown out the flaws. Otherwise, if you want a real coffee, try Nude or Workshop instead. In fact, just pop into Elliot's a shop away - they aren't coffee focused but they do a much, much better brew.

3 Thank Opossumosprosso

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Excellent coffee, great atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

It was my first time at Monmouth and the coffee was brilliant. It was cold and raining outside and the cafe offered us a warm, inviting refuge.

My partner bought a couple of kilos of various beans and has been brewing delicious coffee at home since. Can't wait to go back to London and replenish our bean stock.

Colchester, United Kingdom
“The long queue is a strong clue”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Could this be the best coffee in (a)London (b)England (c)Europe (d)The World (e)The known universe? I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that but I am sure the wonderful people at Monmouth know more about coffee than your average Jedi. I'll certainly be waiting in line again to work my way through the myriad choices on offer and also just to enjoy the relaxed happy vibe.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank LondonJoe666
“Obsessed with Monmouth”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had my first sip of Monmouth coffee last year and have been hooked since. A trip to Borough market is never complete without finishing off at Monmouth. Apart from coffee, the hand rolled truffles are fabulous.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Ira A
Melbourne, Australia
“The best coffee in Europe!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Being lucky enough to be staying within walking distance of Monmouth, a coffee stop here each morning became part of our daily breakfast ritual! Such efficiency, friendliness and fabulous coffee make this the perfect start to any London day (Only they are not open Sundays!) If you are lucky enough to snag a seat the atmosphere is relaxed and upbeat! I love the coffee, the bakery selections and the ambience!

• Visited July 2014