“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I live across the road from this restaurant and had never visited. That changed last night, partly because of the wonderful reviews on here. I visited with my husband and grown-up children for a family celebration. Were we in for a huge disapointment!
My husband ordered Mussels for his starter, six came but unfortunately four of the shells were empty. We asked for bread, which arrived stale and with a pot for the olive oil that was too small to dip the bread into without breaking it up into tiny pieces. We asked for more bread but they had run out!!!!
I ordered a pizza and, when it came, the topping was so runny that it all slid off the base as I tried to put it to my mouth. I have visited Italy many times and never eaten pizza like this anywhere in Italy. I don't know what to think about the reviews describing this restaurant as 'authentically Italian' except - have you ever been.
I can honestly say that I will never set foot in this restaurant ever again - and the bill came to £165....what a waste of money!

2  Thank Joan M

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were recommended this restaurant from a nearby rental property manager and were not disappointed. It was my wife's 50th birthday and we had our two college age children with us. Nice welcoming along with excellent food choices. Slight disappointment with the Calzone but not enough to send it back. I believe the manager assisted with our celebration which was a complete but welcome surprise that made our visit a memorable experience and would recommend this for locals and visitors to this area.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This once excellent restaurant has unfortunately gone down hill. We used to regard this as one of the best Italian restaurants in London and have visited countless times however my last few visits have seen a complete change of atmosphere, lack of friendly staff and a stripped back menu. To top this off the prices have also increased. Is this all down to a change of owner of change of attitude?

I'm sad to say we won't be going back and the old San Genarro is sorely missed.

1  Thank Tam E
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Unassuming from the outside this family run Italian restaurant is authentically Italian - simple decor, tables grouped close together, bustling with hungry diners and plenty of waiting staff this is a real Italian Pizzeria They obviously have a really talented pizzaiolli as the pizzas are simply the best I have ever eaten and I am the daughter of a Neapolitan so I have tried a few over the past 50 years - I am not 100% sure but pretty secure in the knowledge these pizza's are cooked in a wood burning oven. If you want to taste a real Italian pizza then head to St Gennaro - you really won't be disappointed. They also do takeaway pizza too.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Excellent choice of restaurant. Good food and not badly priced. We didn't book but I reckon if we turned up much later than 7.30pm we would have struggled for a table. Lovely setting, not pretentious, very authentic rustic feel and great ambience. We all ate different dishes, munched on olives and bread, this in itself was generous portion; while we waited for our main course to arrive.. House wine was delicious and all in all a great find. Thanks to previous trip advisor comments which helped us chose this restaurant. Keep up the comments - it really is a great way to recommend good places.