“So so close...but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Powder Keg Diplomacy
Ranked #1,522 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: With a menu tailored to showcase the best of seasonal British food from both land and sea Powder Keg Diplomacy sits quietly south of the river wooing foodies and cocktail enthusiasts alike to come crash on our shores. Our chefs work tirelessly to sew each seasons offerings together into beautiful mouth-watering morsels to tease and please the tongue and tummy. We aim to provide ever changing offerings from each corner of the British Isles. Whether it's a light bite before gallivanting about town, food for thought on a first date, or fuel for fun on your fifteenth our kitchen will have something to suit your mood.With the best of craft brewing on offer from home and the colonies, beer geeks in front and behind the bar spin tales over ales and sample the dizzying highs of new world hops alongside the darker, deeper, more dangerous bubbles from Britain's best breweries, and when available turn an ear or two discussing our own forays into the beer making world.Wine enthusiasts don't go un-catered to either. Some might think being a colonial themed venue might hem us in on our wine offerings but those who think that would be wrong. Come in and turn your noses up in the esters and aromas billowing off our offerings from across England and the New World. South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, America and India. Supplemented with some heavy hitters from the old world, our menu should have a delight for even the most discerning palate.Colonial inspiration and seasonality come to a head in our cocktail menu. Not only do we throw around terms like "twist on a classic" and "signature serve," we re-temper them with meaning. With seasonally rotated infusions, shrubs, liquors, bitters, and sodas our 'Rifle Club Bar' does its utmost to provide a menu befitting the style and atmosphere of our surroundings. With everything from our South African interpretation on a dark and stormy to a martini with ingredients sourced from across the empire; if we can't tempt you in for a "night before", our exceptional Bloody Marys should see you through the "morning after."To top off what we have on our menu our staff aim to provide the best in fine dining experience without the stiff upperlipary you might expect in a restaurant of our calibre. Relax and enjoy what Powderkeg has to offer, and try to ignore the Canadian.
London, United Kingdom
“So so close...but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Have been meaning to post a review of The PKD for ages, have been a few times as it's very close to me, but I want to write about the experience I had when I booked a table for 8 friends for dinner on a Saturday night a few months back...
The PDK is right up my street. Great decor, thoughtful menu, great drinks, good service. It's really quirky with a sort of gentlemen's club, vintage, colonial, hipstery theme. That might not be your kind of thing, and it might sound a little contrived but trust me it's great - because it's done really well, with lots of great little touches...
BUT....and it's actually quite a big but... The music drove us a bit crazy. We were there for a few hours and they had what sounded like the same 'gipsy swing' album on repeat the whole time.
At first it seemed to fit the atmosphere to some extent, but after about the first hour it really started to grate. We eventually asked if there was anything they could do about it, perhaps put something else on... The staff were polite but it was obvious this wasn't thought of as a reasonable request, and the promised response from a manager of some kind never came. It perhaps sounds silly but this really tarnished the PKD for me. I thought of it as something if a trend setting type of place - somewhere trying to do something a little different, but the reaction of the staff and the clearly mandated playlist seemed at odds with this. Maybe you're not supposed to spend hours at the PKD eating and drinking. We would have stayed for many more cocktails after dinner, probably until closing, had we not had to listen to the same music all night. Apparently they have live bands some nights, what a shame they couldn't have a DJ or even put some FIP radio on on the nights they don't.
(Incidentally we actually suggested they hire a DJ for a little variety and we were told that it "wasn't that sort of place because people eat there" - how naive! Do they think all DJ's play is dance music!?).
Here's hoping they see the light soon.

Virginia
“Always great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I eat here every other week and are never disappointed. The food is outstanding, drinks are out of this world, and the service is top notch.

1 Thank MillerKD
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend PKD, it has great food, drinks and service. I have been a few times and always had a cracking time with lots of laughter :)

1 Thank LizRouth
“Awesome food and Awesome cocktails!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I come here all the time, every weekend for breakfast. Some of the best value breakfast around and i usually always get a coffee with it and a cheeky cocktail. I really love breakfast here! As a very loyal customer who comes without fail every weekend and who still ate in the restaurant when the cookers failed multiple times and all other customers left i still stuck around, I have brought numerous friends here and constantly reccommend the venue to friends, I feel my loyalty to the establishment tested however when no one seems to remember my name, and everytime i try to come in the evening i'm refused entry and told that the bar is full when it clearly isn't. Would like some recognition for loyal customers...

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Patrick P
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Surprising venue and excellent food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

From the outside this looks like a typical London pub. When we walked through to the back I was genuinely taken aback at the Victorian style conservatory that was the dining room. It created a most unusual and unforgettable ambiance. It was our son's birthday and we all enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The tartlet starter was soggy (perhaps microwaved to warm it?), but all 4 mains, including the vegetarian option, were excellent. My son's cheeseboard was very good, but my wife's pudding was burnt and was sent back. The replacement sorbet (at no charge) was first class. We could not fault the service, and though a little more expensive - even for London - I agree with others that this is an ideal venue for special occasions in a different and rather "quirky" environment.

• Visited July 2014