“Italian bread making”

Bake with Maria
Ranked #14 of 151 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Baking Lab is a baking school in London offering students a wide variety of bread, cake and pastry classes. We run classes in the evenings and on weekends too.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Italian bread making”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We made focaccia, ciabatta and pizza with Emmanuel, a very informative and good fun teacher. Plenty of skills to learn, but the day was not too hectic, time for some theory and reflection while the dough was rising. A really enjoyable day, thanks Maria and Emmanuel x

Northolt, United Kingdom
“Excellent French pastry class”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I booked on to this course after being given a voucher for my birthday and was not disappointed. The pre-course information was easily available and I received a helpful email a couple of days beforehand as well. Marianne was our tutor for the day and she quickly proved herself to be a first-class teacher, demonstrating techniques clearly and confidently, and offering advice and tips when we were mixing, piping, and so on. She also explained why we were doing what we were doing. As a result my fears about baking pastry disappeared over the course of the day almost as quickly as the products from the class disappeared when I got them home! This was an excellent day that I would recommend to anyone. Thanks.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not as good as I expected..”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We booked Bake with Maria as an alternative birthday treat for our daughter.We booked the bread making as it is something that we as a family enjoy making and eating.The day before the class we got an email to bring a mix for bread.As we were staying in a hotel in central London two nights previous this was not possible.I emailed to say that we would be unable to bring the mix,I am writing this review one week after the class and as yet I haven't had a response.
The directions to the venue are very vague it took us about 40 minutes to find the lab!
The guy who took us for the class was great and very knowledgable.However,I felt that he was trying to fill the time by going over the recipes etc...Lunch was provided but it was minimal,the kitchen was really cold during the whole day.In general I felt that the whole day was enjoyable but it was a money making exercise,it lacked finesse .We expected a lot better for the money paid.Just as a note the venue is not suitable for those that are disabled or in a wheelchair .

1 Thank margretta13
BakeWithMaria, Owner at Bake with Maria, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for the class you attended here at The Baking Lab. We strive to deliver great baking classes and I am so sorry to hear that the class didn't live up to your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your criticism.

- The mix: We state in our emails to students of this course that we make a big batch of the mixture for all of the students. If any of the students have the time to make their own, we provide the recipe, but this is by no means an obligation. Since the mixture is technically a component of the bread making process, most of our students opt to make it themselves.
- The directions: We send out a confirmation email and a reminder email to all students. Both emails contain detailed directions for how to find us, including underground, overland train and bus lines. The emails also include an annotated picture of the building so it's easy to recognise. We include our phone number in the email so students can call us if they have a hard time finding the lab. I'm really sorry to hear that it still took you 40 minutes to find us despite all of this.
- The recipes: The teachers go through the recipes so all of the students get a chance to ask questions. We want to make sure that everybody understands the instructions and that when they leave they feel confident to start baking these recipes at home.
- The lunch: Our lunch consists of: Couscous salad, green salad, cheese, chutney, cold cuts, and 2 different kinds of breads. I'm sorry to hear that this was insufficient for you; we normally get very good feedback for our lunches.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A fabulous day!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Maria is the perfect host - friendly, very knowledgable and passionate about bread. Her enthusiasm very quickly rubs off and she couldn't do more to ensure our day of bread making - baguette, fougasse and brioche - was both stimulating and fun. She quickly learnt everyone's name and has a knack of making you feel confident and special.
The group of eight of us was made up of couples, friends and individuals. There was a great atmosphere throughout the day and we shared an excellent lunch, prepared by her very helpful staff. We had a goodie bag to take home, along with the delicious bread we'd made. Highly recommended if you enjoy food - even if you don't think it's your thing!
What a fantastic way to spend a Sunday... Many thanks to Maria and her staff.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beginners bread make made easy”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I'd tried to bake bread before but it had always come out more like a brick. Having completed the beginners bread making course I picked up a number of of things I was doing wrong. The bread I took home was lovely and light and hopefully my next attempt will be too. Not only were we shown how to bake the bread but there was plenty of time for Maria to answer all manor of questions.

Visited September 2013