“A fantastic birthday present”
Review of Bake with Maria

Bake with Maria
Ranked #15 of 151 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Baking Lab is a baking school in London offering students a wide variety of bread, cake and pastry classes. We run classes in the evenings and on weekends too.
london
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A fantastic birthday present”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My son and I attended the healthy bread baking class with Maria at her studio in Hampstead last night and we had the most wonderful evening (my birthday present from my son and husband). The evening was extremely informative, very professional, well organised and above all friendly and relaxed.I would not hesitate to rebook for another one of the fabulous range of courses that Maria runs and sincerely hope that I will be able to take advantage of her Tuscan villa cooking week very soon. Thank you Maria and your team for such a lovely evening - we will be back!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent, fun learning experience”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I attended the American Baking Class with Marianne; a birthday gift from my husband. Marianne was brilliant - a calm, knowledgeable, informative teacher who demonstrated the recipes with precision. She gave us a great deal of practical and useful additional information relating to each recipe as well as baking in general.
I hadn't realised that we would be working in pairs; my partner started off rather heavy handed with the first mixture, but things did improve and all our bakes turned out beautifully!
Lunch was provided by extremely hard-working apprentices and was delicious.
The day was full, but well balanced. I loved the fact that I left the class knowing I could take everything I had learned into my own kitchen. The ingredients were clearly easily obtainable, not overly expensive and there was no "fancy" equipment necessary.
The communication via email prior to the class was clear and the directions (with picture) useful.
Overall a great experience; certainly I would recommend it.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good but easily improved”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I did the Cake Baking Masterclass a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with the instructor, the class was small (only 8 people) which was brilliant because it was very easy to follow, and I learnt a lot. The cakes we made were straightforward but there were lots of hints and tips along the way that could easily be used in other recipes. Working in pairs was good and although I didn't know my partner, it was fun. My main issue was when were did one recipe alone and there was not enough equipment for everyone. The atmosphere became a little tense and it definitely took the gloss off the day for me - the personalities in my group definitely showed their true colours! It is a small studio but there would be room for 8 of everything. It would be worth having ingredients for people to share in pairs or fours.

I recommend this course but I would suggest a quick purchase of a few more bits of equipment.

Visited October 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Brilliant fun and learned so much”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've done two classes with Bake with Maria so far and will be planning some more. My first was the basic bread making with Maria and the second was an all day Sourdough class with Emmanuel, a guest baker.

The class was a mix of people who had never baked before and others who were keen to learn more. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly and the support staff were great at keeping the supplies coming at the right time and clearing and cleaning to keep the workspace organised.

The explanations were excellent and they were happy to go to any level of technical detail that your curiosity could want. The instructors are all hugely experienced bakers and superb teachers.

Can't recommend the courses highly enough. It was so satisfying to walk away with loaves that were yummy and edible and feeling very proud indeed, along with the knowledge to repeat the success at home!

London, England, United Kingdom
“excellent and educational”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked the bread making for beginners course as a birthday gift for my friend .We both found the course brilliant, eductional and great fun . As neither of us had any previous bread making experience we were a little apprehensive but were made to feel very quickly at ease . All the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful .We were taught to make 3 different types of bread and had a lovely selection to take home with us at the end of the evening. We will definitely be booking another course for the new year and have recommened Maria to all our friends and family .

Visited October 2013