“Taiwan style, smiles, bubble tea, and spicy noodles”
Review of Old Tree Bakery

Old Tree Bakery
Ranked #13,678 of 24,553 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Taiwanese
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This place is quite the hybrid -- a Taiwan style coffee shop with the Asian version of everything from Black Forest cake to coconut custard buns (in which there is no runny custard, just custard flavoured bright yellow pastry, but excellent coconut flakes) and the ubiquitous bubble tea in various flavours. If you're hungrier than that, try the set meals or main courses with *very* spicy noodles and both veggie and non- options. Slightly oddly for a place in the middle of Golders Green, there's plenty of belly pork on the menu too. Service is fast and with a smile and a giggle, the menu is extensive, and prices reasonable. Hidden treasures include the papaya milkshake or the one made with Hami Melon (like canteloupe), banana, and green tea -- luscious and so refreshing on a summer day! The salt and pepper chicken in the bento box will make you sneeze but also make you want more; the soup on the other hand was too salty. But these are small failings of a place with great variety at very reasonable prices -- two of us had large main meals, milkshakes, coffees, and cakes, for about 35 GBP.

1  Thank WaziMom

Reviewed 8 July 2012

2 friends and i went in to try the bubble teas which i had heard about. The ones we tried were actually v nice.. unusual .. light..warm for a wet cold day so pleasantly uplifting. what let the place down was the staff knew little English so could not help much with the menu. the food must be good as it was full of taiwanese. the decor is smart and modern.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Went in for a spot of lunch as I happened to visit a friend at Golders Green. Have read alot about The Old Tree and always wanted to pay a visit. Sat down and ordered the Grill Beef Bento Box and Bubble Milk Tea. Coming from a service industry myself and having been working in a cafe for years, I am less than satisified with the service. The restaurant was not busy and there were 6 sfaff behind the counter excluding the chief. Service is rather below average, tone of the staffs who served me were neither friendly or excited. I am not expecting a long conversation but at least ask your customer how his or her day was and try to look welcoming. One word to sum up the attitude is indifference and I felt even worst when I got up to pay for my bill. The bill was £14.74 and I was told that there is a mininum of £20 for card payment.. The lady who seemed to be the cash controller was rolling her eyes and was mumbling under her breath to what seemed like a sigh of inconvenience. I told her I only have £10 cash on me while apologising profusely. I even offered to buy some cakes just to make up the sum to £20. I felt extremely uncomfortable but she took my card and shove it into the machine. The card went through and not a word of thank you from the lady while I apologise again and left. The whole experience was dreadful and I will definitely not recommend this place and will never return. The food was fine, nothing spectacular. The cakes do look delicious but I guess I will never know.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was the only Chinese restaurant in golders Green that i had not visited.so i went there yesterday.Fairly spartan with wooden tables and chairs.There are two menus,the standard one and one containing some specialities.I decided to try stewed ducks tongue,pigs stomach and intestines which cost £7.50.I also decided on a bowl of rice and jasmin tee.I was very disappointed when the dish came up.I reckon that in total there was less than 100 grammes of meat.The food itself was fine.It was fortunate that i had ordered the rice.Even so i didnt feel as if i had eaten very much.The bill wit service,came to £11.99.Far too expensive for wht i received.I could have had a very reasonable meal in Gerrards Street for that.I saw someone else pay by card and so offered my card to pay.this was refused as they only accept cards for bills of over £20.So why dont they put a sign in the window?So my low rating is not because of the quality of the food,merely the feeling of being ripped off.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

If I called myself the bubble pearl tea expert, no one who knows me would object. I used to have to fly to Taiwan for it, but after I have tasted it at Old Tree, I don't need to travel that far. Their pearls have an earthy tone to them, and very bouncy, nicely chewy and I appreciate their teas the most. Real freshly brewed tea not the powder kind. If you need some warmth this winter... go there for a bowl of their Taiwan Beef noodle Soup. It's the kind of comfort food that makes you smile from the stomach up!