“OK if you're not too fussy”
Review of Boka Hotel

Boka Hotel
Ranked #759 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 November 2013

As another reviewer said - you get what you pay for.
We couldn't find cheaper in this part of London, so if you're used to 4 star hotels, bear that in mind if you stay here.
Really quite, clean but tired rooms (wouldn't know you were in London), breakfast was ok, staff friendly.
TV was missing in room when I checked in (previous occupier had nicked it) but replaced immediately.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Boka Hotel

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We chose the hotel based on it's proximity to Earls Court exhibition centre and also the price. The room was pretty poor and the bathroom was cramped with a low ceiling and no shower. There was a shower attachment but nowhere to hang it and no shower curtain. The breakfast was ok, just not a lot of it. The staff were very friendly and the place was clean, just very tired.
We definitely wouldn't stay here again, despite the very good location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JNO1970
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

I am sorry you found the room poor and bathroom cramped, personally I don't find it so but we all have different opinions and I respect yours. There was no shower hook in the room as the room does not have a shower, it was a room with a bathtub and hand held shower attachment

I am glad you found the staff friendly and that you found the hotel clean, of course sorry you were disappointed but as I said we all have different opinions and I hope you enjoyed your visit to London in general.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My 5 year old daughter & I (mum) stayed here for 4 nights at the end of July 2013, for her first ever trip to London. I agonised for ages over choosing a hotel, as we were on a very tight budget but I really wanted private facilities in the room. To find a hotel like this was a godsend. Our room was a twin at the top of the hotel, room 302, with an en-suite (shower) & a small but very well-equipped separate kitchen. The room wasn't huge but not too tiny either, & was very bright & peaceful. Looked out over the back of the hotel, straight onto the (recently doomed) Earls Court exhibition centre. It was hot weather when we visited, but there was a fan in the room so we coped. Lower floors are probably cooler in hot weather.

The en-suite was fairly spacious, the bedroom had a solid wood floor, single wardrobe, stool, small table & chair, small TV & bedside chest of drawers. Beds were very comfortable. The kitchen had a full-sized fridge, microwave & kettle, twin hot-plates, & a toaster, so you could properly self cater if you wished. And unlike lots of hostels, the kitchen actually had decent crocks, pots & cutlery. I mean, do you travel with saucepans?! The staff were all really pleasant & helpful; when I mentioned that the toaster was broken, the maid found a new one in about 3 minutes flat. They were also very kind to my daughter when she was unwell early in our stay. I believe some of the upper rooms have a mezzanine platform to sleep on, giving you more usable room in the room below, but these won't suit everyone.

The area is brilliant if you're sightseeing - Earls Court tube is 2 mins away, bus stop 1 min, lots of local supermarkets, modest places to eat, newsagents, laundromats etc. We walked back late on a couple of nights & I felt perfectly safe in the pleasant street. The breakfast was a bit limited, but you must remember the very modest rates charged at this hotel. Free Wi-Fi is mostly limited to communal areas on the ground floor & basement room where breakfast is served.

The only thing that stops me rating the Boka as excellent were several niggles in the room - a missing drawer handle, no bedside light. The en-suite had a missing shelf over the sink, so your toilet bag had to balance on the cistern or go on the floor, the towel rail kept coming away from the wall, & the shower riser needed replacing - a kink really affected the pressure. But if, like me, you tend to have things like clothes pegs, nylon cable ties, etc in your luggage, you'll be fine. Spotless white sheets & towels. Everything in the room was really clean, some parts of the hotel are a bit on the shabby side, but on the whole it's quite characterful, which I like. If you want swanky lobbies & matching furniture, there are plenty of other hotels you can stay at but they'll cost you much more & you won't remember them after checkout. I found the reception, breakfast & especially the cleaning staff all really friendly & helpful, & would not hesitate to stay at the Boka again. I felt confident that if I'd had a serious problem (ie needed to change room) they would have been accommodating. Oh, & there's a great little lift which is VERY quiet! I didn't hear any road noise, or noise from other guests during our stay. Thank you, Boka, for your most important part in making a great holiday on a budget!

Room Tip: Twin room 302 bright & peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Echidna-123

Dear Guest. Thank you for your very kind review, I am so glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay and visit to London (even though the weather was at its hottest at that time ) , sorry about the shower hose, sometimes things get missed and I apologise , I do wish you had told me . We are a budget hotel but we do try and get it right and I am glad for you we did in most areas , as I say many times we welcome reviews so we see where we go right and where we go wrong, but its always nice to hear someone enjoyed their stay and be appreciative it makes our jobs worthwhile and whoever we are and whatever we do we all like that.

We do hope you visit us again next time you come to London.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Well located in Earl's Court and cheap (for London) with friendly staff. I had booked a single room and was given a family room. Overall the hotel is a bit run down and there was a peculiar smell in the bathroom (which they obviously realised as they had left a can of air freshener in there) but all adds to its quirky nature. Free wifi

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Suzy S
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The location of Boka Hotel is outstanding. The Earl Court tube station is very close. There are lots of restaurants and shops on Earl Court. The street, Eardley Crescent, fairly quiet. The price was very good compared to others in the area. Since my husband and I are used to a king-sized bed, I thought a double bed would be too crowded. Therefore, I booked two single beds. As a result, we had a two-bedroom. It was pretty roomy, bigger than my expectations. However, the beds were terrible. The mattresses are completely worn out. You could feel the springs and every time you moved, a spring would pop. We ended up putting the duvet from the other two beds on top of the mattress and used the original duvet for a cover. That helped a bit. The other problem was the "shower". It was hand-held and there was no shower curtain. If you used it standing up, water went all over. The tub was high from the floor, and sitting down to use the shower head was hard for an older person like me. Most of the staff were not native English speakers and it was sometimes difficult to make yourself understood. But the breakfast was outstanding. One we figured we didn't care for the sausage or the beans, and got our eggs cooked to order, it was very good. The staff (Polish cook and her daughter) remembered what we liked as soon as we came in and went to get our order. The breakfast was filling enough that we could go until dinnertime, which was a great help for our busy schedule. This was our first trip across the pond, so we don't have other European hotels to compare to, but I was very satisfied. I would recommend this pace to visitors who want an adequate budget-friendly place to stay while in London.

Room Tip: Ask for single beds. Rooms in front have nice windows.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 595GailS
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear Reviewer, thank you for your comments , I am glad you liked some things about Boka and have reccommended it to others. I will say the room you had was a room with a bathtub and hand held shower which is why there is no shower curtain, rooms with shower cubicles all have shower curtains.

With regards the bed, we have been changing many beds as they do get worn quikcly in hotels, I do wish you had spoken to me about it whilst you wre here and can I ask you if you see this repsonse to email me and tell me the room number to make sure I have got the right room to check the beds there have been replaced.

Once again thank you for your review

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was in London for a couple of weeks and chose the Boka based on price and generally good reviewers here in TripAdvisor, and I'm very happy I did!
The staff are uniformly friendly and welcoming, which made me feel very comfortable and at-home during my stay.
The full breakfast isn't haute cuisine, but it's good and a great start to the day.
The wifi is limited, but if you're lucky enough to be in #006 as I was, your bed is right next to the router on the other side of the wall and wifi is no problem at all.
The breakfast room and small outside court are convenient places to sit if you want a break from your room, though I rarely did.
The room was very comfortable, with an included toilet and shower and kitchenette with fridge, sink, microwave kettle, and a minimal but adequate array of dishes, mugs, glasses and cutlery (I added a bowl to the collection, you're welcome ;). There's no table to eat at, but come on, everyone eats in bed watching telly in hotels, and the breakfast room is two steps away if you're feeling a need for table and chair.
The taps don't always match but everything works well and the water was hot and plentiful.

As a bonus, if you're traveling away from a cat and miss it, there are a few feline visitors who hang around the lobby and who are entirely happy to be petted for your pleasure. :D

All in all, I would very gladly stay at the Boka if I manage another trip to London.

Room Tip: #006 is in the basement; I liked it as it gave me wifi in my room due to proximity to the breakfast...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Hello again, when I saw the room number in your review I remembered you immediately, I hope you had a good trip home and can I say what a pleasure it was to have you stay with us and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly.

The cats are adorable, Nimrod and Sashi belong to our neighbour but with it being a hotel and an open reception they wander in to sit with us at their will, as cats do as we all know and they love all the strokes they get from the customers.

I am also pleased you mentioned the basement room, so many people think basement as being a dark windowless cellar when in London they are more Lower Ground ( garden level) than basement with plenty of light .

We look forward to you visiting us again if you are in London.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The hotel is located in a very handy spot close to West Brompton underground and overground stations and near Earls Court underground.

When I arrived at the hotel I was surprised, it felt a bit run down and wasn't like any hotel I had stayed in before. The staff on duty when arrived was very polite and pleasant and showed me to my room.

The room was quite basic in its look. There was a bed and a kitchen area, a simple toilet and shower room and a television. Everything was clean and tidy and the towels were fresh. It didn't feel like a high quality room, but for the amazing price I was paying it was what you should expect; basic and simple. My only gripe was that the curtains didn't cover the whole window and that someone had left the sash windows wide open so when I arrived to check in, in the evening the room was chilly.

Breakfast was served by another lovely member of staff, again simple and basic but fresh and tasty.

I wouldn't recommend Boka as a hotel to stay at for any extended period of time, but as a pitstop for a night on a day or over night trip it did the job.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer, I am glad you found the hotel acceptable and found everything clean . You mention the curtains did not cover the window entirely, should you see this response please do email me and let me know the room number as all curtains were ordered to fit and if one doesn't then I would change it.