“Cheap hotel, but still felt bad value!”
Review of Boka Hotel

Boka Hotel
Ranked #764 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I needed somewhere to stay at short notice with a friend and we were on a tight budget for this trip. This was one of the cheapest hotels available in the area, so we weren't expecting it to be amazing. However, even for the low price paid, it still felt like we got bad value. This seems to be more of a bedsit, multi-occupancy short-term home than a hotel. The rooms had a separate kitchen, bathroom and front door. Unfortunately, the bedroom - which is what we actually came for - was very small, with old beds that were very uncomfortable. The TV was tiny and there was hardly any room for our two bags. The hotel was very run-down, with the lobby/restaurant area undergoing building works and the room fixtures very worn. The bathroom had a lot of stains and grime. After our overnight experience - and considering the breakfast room seemed to be unfinished too - we decided to skip breakfast. On a positive, the hotel is well-located to transport links to central London and the woman on reception was friendly. However, no way I'd stay here again and would be happy to pay a bit more to avoid it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nick C

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is very cheaply fitted out and it is old. There was a small set of drawers and a wardrobe in our room with missing and broken drawers. The door to our room was glass panelled which allowed the hallway lights to flood our room all night making it difficult to sleep. I mean, who even installs glass panelled doors in a hotel!

The walls are paper thin so you hear everything around you and above you. The toilet leaked and the shower had such low water pressure I couldn't even wash my hair. The bed sank in the middle and was not comfortable for two people to sleep together.

Wifi is free but only available in common areas and not the rooms. The only common are available when we were there was the room where breakfast was served. The area that looked to be a former common sitting area was being renovated and not in use. No-one apologised for this nor did they even mention it!

The front desk staff were helpful when asked anything but didn't go above and beyond. As I mentioned they didn't even apologise for the mess of the entrance due to the renovations.

This is a cheap hotel with little care. I've stayed in some low cost hotels before and this was the worst. The only plus with this hotel was the location. I would not recommend this hotel nor would I stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a solid door. Many had glass panels like ours. I would think a top floor room wo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Muhoh
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Reviewer

I am sorry you feel this way about the hotel but would like to make some observations.

The door with the glass above is the main door to the room into the kitchenette there is then another door between that and the bedroom.

Water pressure , if the stay was when I think it was you would have seen Thames Water at the end of the street with a burst water main which did appear to take several days to return to normal., they did reduce pressure during these repairs but pressure was not that bad and was out of our control.

Wi-fi is advertised in public areas via all travel agencies and not advertised as being in rooms, this is something that will be functional within the next few months.

The common area you feel was out of use, I am sorry if that was the impression you got but this is actually a new area and has never been in use for guests as it used to be the office, we removed the false wall and the people were laying a new marble floor so that the area can be used by guests as a larger lobby. No one would have apologised for an out of use area as it has not yet been opened for use , there was however a note on the glass at reception near the other notices including breakfast times that apologised for the appearance of that area whilst the marble was laid.

I am glad you found the staff friendly but unsure about the "above and beyond" staff will always help clients and often go above and beyond when requested to do so.

As I said I am sorry you feel this way and if it spoiled your stay.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was not a romantic break, I stayed here with my boyfriend for the London Film and Comic Con. The best two things about this hotel was the English breakfast and the proximity to Earls Court exhibition centre, and the West Brompton and Earls Court tube stations.
There was hair and dust left all over the floor, you could not walk bare foot without getting skanky feet. The bathroom stank awfully when we first arrived, so much so that I was urging whilst showering and going to the toilet. However, after complaining a couple of times about this, something eventually happened to sort out the smell, although we're still not sure what happened.
The room was small, but what you can expect for the price and alright for a short stay. The sheets were clean, and the kitchenette useful, albeit slightly dirty. Finally, with one small fan to try and cool down the room, despite being small, was not enough. My boyfriend and I were so hot, up on the third floor with a tiny attic window. Perhaps invest in some air con for the rooms?
Also, we were not informed there would be building work being done in the main reception, so this was a surprise and some notice would have been appreciated. Maybe a slight discount also.
All in all, we don't feel this was good value for money, considering we stayed for 5 nights, but you live and you learn I suppose. Be careful when booking here.

Room Tip: Don't go on the top floor, extremely hot and tiny tiny windows!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Munnit
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

I am sorry you were disappointed with the hotel. With regard to the smell you mentioned I did personally go to the room and am not disagreeing with you but I could smell nothing when I went and can assure you no one did anything to remove a smell, as I say I am not disputing what you said it could be there was just a drainage smell for a short while I really cannot say irt can happen in any bathroom in any building . I will also say this is not an attic room as the town houses In this street do not have attics they all have flat roof's and the third floor was a brand new floor built (added on) about five years ago.

I am pleased you found the linen clean ( we use Berendsens laundry who deliver all laundry and are excellent ) and you enjoyed the breakfast , I am sorry you were unhappy about the new floor in reception but this was done to improve and extend the area for guests and we tried not to disrupt anyone by doing this doing the day when guest's were out and did not affect the reception desk .

As for air conditioning, most smaller hotels in London do not have air conditioning you will of course find this in the higher ranked purpose built hotels and we just do not get the hot weather enough to justify at this time the level of expenditure involved in closing the building down to completely rip it apart to install air-con which would in turn mean raising prices to cover it, if we continue to get weather like this each year it is however something we will take into consideration . The time of your visit was a heat wave which was front page news which we just do not generally get and all rooms did have fans.

I am sorry you do not feel this was of value but I respect your opinion and apologise for that, however I will point out that reviewer Echidna-123 of Colchester stayed in the same room and had a different view of this room in their review and posted photographs.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here alone while attending London Comic Con. Definitely not a place for a romantic break - but perfect for those on a budget or going to Earl's Court Exhibition Centre as it's literally a five minute walk away. The room was large, and boasted a kitchenette complete with microwave, sink and fridge - which was tremendously useful to be able to fix something to eat in the room without having to search for a restaurant nearby. But the decor was tired and shabby - the small ensuite had seen better days and a general musty smell lingered throughout. Biggest peeve was no stand-up shower - just a shower hose attached to the bath The bed was OK - I slept fine - but the view (I was in room 3, on the ground floor facing the back) left a lot to be desired - a mess of workmen and construction work, meaning I was forced to shut the curtains the whole time to get some privacy. However all this can be forgiven given the cheap price and location - and a friendly chap on reception. If you're going to Earl's Court, you can really do a lot worse - just don't expect luxury.

Room Tip: Don't go for a room on the ground floor if you can help it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

For the price , it was ideal. Breakfast included too!! Not the most spotlessly clean place I've ever stayed at, but for one night it was fine. Superb location for the tube station, 5 minute walk away!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

we stayed for 4 nights in 2010 and was a terrible experience
the room are far too small from what is advertised.
mold everywhere
they tried to trick us given a totally different room from out we've booked
finally after a lot of discussions we've changed with another room which was as terrible as the first one
in the end we had to buy bleach to wash the bathroom to get rid of mold
we even tried to book another they agreed for a refund but guess what all the others hotels around are in the similar situation so this is why we bought the bleach and cleaned the bathroom
bad reputation for the well known Chelsea!!!
do not stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sori_p
BokaLondon, Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear reviewer

I have read your review with interest and will make three observations, at the top of your review you state you stayed here for four nights in 2010 it puzzles me that if as you say the experience was so terrible (and that all the hotels in the area are the same ) that you feel the need to tell people not to stay here that you waited four years to leave a review.

Secondly you state we are in the well known Chelsea, we are not

Thirdly you end by stating you stayed in July 2013 as opposed to 2010 which you start your review with. perhaps you would care to email the hotel to clarify