“Excellent value for money”
Review of Camden Lock Hotel

Camden Lock Hotel
Ranked #432 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is a budget hotel but better than a backpackers hostel. Located just north of Camden Market opposite Chalk Farm underground station on Northern line. (If your visiting London Camden Market is worth a trip on the tube for arts and crafts and different to main West End shopping)
Helpful staff. Expect some noise from the pub opposite. Bed was lumpy but overall if you just need a cheap clean bed for the night this is a great choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pub although none are very far away.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had just spent 3 days in London last weekend, staying in the Camden Lock hotel in Camden Town for the first time. The hotel is situated at the main road, Chalk Farm Road. The Chalk Farm station is only about 200 meters away. From there you can take the tube to London center in 20 minutes!
People at the reception were friendly, and there were a lot of interesting tourists leaflets about the city and surroundings. They can also book tours for the guests. I was lucky to get a double room for a single person. A flat tv, a water cooker with complimentary teabags and coffee in the room. The mattress and the pillows were just good foe me, not too hard nor too soft!
Breakfast is the at the 'coffee lookout lounge' next to the reception hall. Enough time for breakfast, from 7:00 to 10:00 am. Only two choices, Continental or English, simple but good. Personally I prefer English.
It only takes 10 to 15 minutes to reach the Stables Market, Camden Lock Market, Camden Lock Village. They are very colorful and a lot to see, to buy, to eat and to enjoy!
Only one blemish, there is bar nearby just opposite the hotel. It plays music loudly at night around 9 o,clock until 1 o'clock in the morning during the weekend. And you have people standing outside the bar, talking, smoking. Make quite a noise!. I don't know if it happens every night too! If you want a quite sleep, better close the windows! Anyway it is a lovely nice hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jacob C
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We had booked only one night and choose this because of its good location and the fact that it is probably the cheapest hotel in the area. The building looks terrible on the outside, pretty wasted but so do many other hotels and should not be an indicator for the rest. The welcome was nice and friendly, we received our key and Went to our room somewhere on level 3. IT was a tight, dark corridor and looked more like a hostel. The room itself was ok, but with shabby old windows and even more shabby curtains. Didnt see much because of the lack of daylight, had to turn on the light in the room. Bathroom was clean but without a tub. The shower cabin was kinda big but its either damn hot or too cold water. IT was impossible to adjust a proper temperature. The lack of a hair dryer is terrible, I did read in other reviews that u can get one when u ask the staff. But I dont want to walk around for a dryer, I wanna have it right where it should be. The bathroom "door" is hilarious. All in all I would expect better for the money u have to pay and I prefered spending the night at the airport instead of coming back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mina B
Nicoleta F, Manager at Camden Lock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Mina B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the hotel overall. Please accept our sincere apologies.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed one night and had a generally positive experience. The hotel does not look very enticing from outside and it's not that attractive inside but I understand from other posts that it is undergoing a programme of improvement. The welcome was friendly and efficient. The room was clean, big enough for me but quite sparse. It would have been improved if it had had nets or a blind to give some privacy from the street below - as it was the only choice was to draw the curtains and switch the light on. The bathroom was fine. Having read some of the other reviews I brought some earplugs in case of noise, and I'm I did, as I could the TV in other peoples rooms and there were some inconsiderate guests banging doors and running up and down the corridors. I didn't find the street noise too bad. One of the highlights of my stay was the breakfast which for £5 was a bargain. There was a choice of Full English or Continental, and I had the Full English which was surprisingly good and value for money. Considering the cost of the rooms and it's location close to the Tube station, Primrose Hill and Camden Lock, I reckon that the hotel isn't bad value for money, but I think it could be really good once it is fully refurbished.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Nicoleta F, Manager at Camden Lock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear ymwelyddCaerdydd,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are pleased that you found your room clean and you have enjoyed our breakfast.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed 2 nights in a single room for some meetings in Camden.
The reception area in rather weird, the same goes for the stairs to the second floor, where I stayed. But don't let this fool you.
The room is spotless, the bed is great, the linen is clean and the bathroom is nice and inviting. It is a very small room indeed, but they still managed to toss in a nice little table/chair (I used it for work) and a TV with a zillion channels. So I had perfectly what I wanted, and it was definitely worth the money.
You should take the breakfast option, as this is 5 GBP for either continental or English breakfast in the Café next door. The café is actually connected to the hotel, and the staff there is very friendly AND the breakfast was great.

Room Tip: I had a room to the street, and had no trouble sleeping for traffic noise/pub noise as this is gone...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MrLake

Dear MrLake,
Thank you for your review.
Also thank you for your kind comments about the breakfast and about our staff.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

A basic and reasonable price B&B (via online agent) a stone’s throw from the Roundhouse and Chalk Farm Tube (use lift or 53 steps). Three storeys, we were on second floor, room overlooking the main road, guess you have the noisy road or not a very nice view. Roads in the immediate vicinity have parking restrictions all week but a few minutes’ walk away you’ll be OK all weekend, free and fairly safe as well.
Undergoing refurbishment, lucky to have one recently repainted so fresh and clean apart from the carpet. Room itself was basic, I guess a standard double as small double bed pushed up against one wall and with little room to move about, reasonable mattress, dressing table and stool, two mirrors, kettle and ample T&C sachets, freeview TV so lots of channels to choose from, high ceilings, controllable radiators, lovely hot water and thick towels, usual soap and toiletries, no flannel. Bathroom bright but no electric shaver point. Hairdryer at reception.
Breakfast taken in coffee lounge attached at the front of the hotel… wooden stools and plastic table clothes….that sort of thing. Voucher for either continental or full English. So not buffet so you couldn’t eat or drink as much as you liked to fill you up for the day.
So downside, basic, and lots of road noise, noise from other guests, thin walls, very cramped room, nowhere really to empty a suitcase…. we had piles on the floor.
On the positive side, very nice receptionist (staffed 24x7), a decent pub right next door, a bit spit and sawdust but good music until gone midnight on a Saturday. Shots £3.50. A Sainsbury’s local and a huge Morrison’s both within 5 minutes’ walk if you need groceries (and cheap petrol), or a Nandos, Dominos and a good sushi all within 5 minutes’ walk if you wanted something more substantial.
Camden Lock and Camden Town were a 10-15 minute walk away, very pleasant on a sunny day, with a large Weatherspoon’s overlooking the lock itself. The market seemed to go on and on, a right rabbit warren, but the stock looked rather samey, and it was starting to heave at noon on the Sunday.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ChrisBReading_UK,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We appreciate your comments about the room and about our staff.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We loved our stay here so much we have already pre booked our next stay. We were in room 102 which was on the first floor and was clearly very recently refurbished in a minimal, modern, functional manner which made excellent use of the available space. Lovely bathroom and some toiletries. The ladies on the front desk couldn't have been more friendly or helpful; nothing was too much trouble.
There is a 24 hour reception and you buzz in from the side door. You. rave your key when you go out, which I think is great as you don't have to worry about losing it! Lovely spacious lounge area in reception too.
I think there is a programme of renovation going on as the corridors and just inside the front door seemed tired and didn't reflect the standard of the room and en-suite.
We paid the £5 extra for breakfast and had the cooked option in the adjoining cafe: well worth the money and set us up for the day. Left our bags in the free of charge left luggage whilst we had appointments and a long lunch, great service. Directly opposite CHALK Farm tube and 5 mins walk from the heart of the best of what Camden has to offer.
Thank you Camden Lock Hotel...you will see a lot more of us in the future x

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marthasperson

Dear marthasperson,
Thank you ever so much for your review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.