“little gem”

Ranked #422 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“little gem”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here on a girlie week-end,booking a twin room for 3 nights.The hotel couldnt be easier to find,being opposite Chalk Farm tube.On arrival the very helpful lady on the desk,whom i found out later was called Marina,gave us plenty of information,as well as maps to make our stay easier.Our room was up two short flights of stairs on the first floor-there is no lift,but this presented no problem.We were very pleased with the room allocated to us,although not that big,it felt in no way cramped,with clothes hanging space,and dressing table,kettle ect,and twin beds,with two pillows on each,and white duvet covers,and overhead reading light.A modern London scene picture on the wall was a nice touch,to a simply decorated room.The en-suit was large and modern with floor to ceiling tileing ,plenty of towels,spare loo roll,and complimentry shower gel,hat,shampoo.There were a few cracked tiles if you really wanted to be picky,but that pales into insignificance when overall this is a great little hotel,in a vibrant area,very clean,very friendly,helpful staff,and i have not even got to the breakfast,which when booked in advance saves you £1.50 per day.We had the vegetarian full English,which is beautiful and comes with juice and a hot drink at £5 per head.This is served until the godly hour of 10,in the adjoining cafe,which is bright and welcoming.The free baggage leaving service is an extra bonus ,as we still wanted to explore the area after booking out.I would defineately stay here again,and cant believe i had not found it before.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I arrived at Camden Lock Hotel at half past 2, knowing that check in started at 2. I was hungry and tred when I arrived, my plan was to drop my stuff of in my room, grab some lunch and then go for a nap in my room as I was booked in for an operation the followng day.
However, when I arrived at the hotel I was given the key to my room and after opening the door I noticed that the room had not been cleaned from the previous occupants. I went back to the reception desk, returned my key and told of how my room had not been cleaned but that I wwill be back after I had got some lunch. Pretty reasonable I think.
After lunch (about 3.30) I returned to the reception desk where they rung the cleaner and asked if my room had been cleaned yet. To my surprise it had not! By this time I was getting pretty fed up. I complained to them of how I had arrived well after the allocated check-in time, and an hour later am still not in my room. With the reply being "we normally have two cleaners but one is away on holiday." As if this is my problem?!
I was then offered a free breakfast, I had to decline as I had to fast from 12 midnight in preperation for my operation. After stating this, I was given no alternative! Which, really, is disgusting and very unsympathetic. I then continued to wait in reception for atleast another half an hourbefore I could go up to my room.
I pain over £90 for the double bedroom for the one night and at that price I did not expect to receive the welcome that I got. Very unsatisfying and upsetting. Surely if hotels know that one of their cleaners is going on holiday and oonly leaving ONE other to clean the WHOLE hotel then they would find a temporary fill in?
Also, if a customer has arrived at the hotel and is the only ONE waiting for their room to be cleaned then that would be PRIORITY and get done first?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amy H
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 nights every week in April and May 2014. The staff were very friendly and always helpful. The accommodation is basic, but clean. There are plenty of nearby restaurants to make up for the lack of an evening dining room. Great Value and a Great Location.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back at far quieter than those at the front.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bazza1955
Nicoleta F, Manager at Camden Lock Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Bazza1955,
Thank you very much for your review.
We appreciate your comments about our staff.
We look forward to welcome you again next time.
Thame, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

An amazing find, great price and ideal location. We stayed in a twin room- which wasn't huge, but was really nicely turned out, clean and modern with a great shower in the en-suite. Overlooked the pub next door- but didn't find noise a problem despite it being a Saturday night. Great to be able to hop of the tube or bus and be able to literally walk straight into the hotel, and we walked less than five minutes to explore Camden market. A great find- and I will be using again whenever I need somewhere to stay in London! Will be recommending!

Stayed June 2014
Dear JaB1991,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
We are delighted that you found the hotel “ an amazing find” and that you will be recommending us.
We look forward to welcome you again next time you are in London.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel may not be the most fancy place in London, but for the price it's great. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and it is in a quiet area just minutes away from Camden nightlife and markets...breakfast is also great and it's close to two tube stations. Would definitely recommend .

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Gerard F,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Chose the location as I was at the Roundhouse for a gig, hotel was fine, a little shabby but clean and staff very friendly.

Only complaint was that there is a little noise that comes from the pub next door, but other than that the stay was fine

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Nick W,
Thank you for your review.
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do regarding the noise from the pub next door from us.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Camden Lock Hotel for one night. We found it really clean, spacious enough with a really nice en suite. Price was excellent, and the location was good for what we wanted to do. The beds were really comfortable. We paid to stay for breakfast and it was worth doing

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Starnepus,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We appreciate all your comments and we look forward to welcome you back in the future.