“GREAT VALUE”
Review of Camden Lock Hotel

Camden Lock Hotel
Ranked #459 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed in a single room at the Camden Lock while visiting a music festival in the area. The room was exactly what I paid for. Clean with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was also included which was very good. The hotel is directly opposite a tube station and is in walking distance to eating places and pubs. The only downside was the noise from outside which is no fault of the hotel. I would stay again for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The people running this 'budget' hotel have got it right. For the price paid (£89 for a twin) the room was squeaky clean, small but comfortable beds with 2 pillows, a window which opened properly and a freshly refurbished shower room. All the touches you would expect in a more expensive establishment were provided; toiletries, hot drinks tray, hairdryer, free WIFI and a flat screen TV with Freeview. The breakfast at £5 for full English or Continental was superb value and beautifully cooked and presented. The option to leave baggage both prior to Check In and after Check Out was much appreciated. Room 103 did not suffer from noise on a Wednesday evening but I imagine the street noise would increase at the weekend. The traffic noise died away after midnight. The location is so easy to get to; 3 stops out of Euston on the Northern Line. The staff could not have been more accommodating and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I arrived several hours before check-in, quite jet-lagged and hungry. The friendly front desk hostess made a call and requested my room be readied early, kept my bags, and directed me down the hall to a delicious coffee and breakfast. The room was ready less than an hour later, and it was delightful -- clean, airy, and comfortable. There was a bit of pub noise in the evening, but nothing that earplugs (provided at front desk if you don't have your own) didn't remedy. It was super close to the Tube stop, and in addition to the on premise cafe, there were loads of places to eat and drink nearby. They also were kind enough to hold my bags there on my check-out day, while I toured around London. Wifi was free and easy to use in room, in lobby, and in cafe.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face the pub if you are a light sleeper or don't like using ear...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked two stays there and both were fantastic. Very friendly staff, helpful to carry heavy luggage up through the stairs and to give you advice and suggestions. Clean room and bathroom, ideal location at the heart of Camden to do some shopping and long walks--the Abbey Road Studios is less than 1-hour walk away! Just across the street from the tube and served by many bus lines. I should admit the hotel is a bit pricey for my budget, but I’d be back again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here on a girlie week-end,booking a twin room for 3 nights.The hotel couldnt be easier to find,being opposite Chalk Farm tube.On arrival the very helpful lady on the desk,whom i found out later was called Marina,gave us plenty of information,as well as maps to make our stay easier.Our room was up two short flights of stairs on the first floor-there is no lift,but this presented no problem.We were very pleased with the room allocated to us,although not that big,it felt in no way cramped,with clothes hanging space,and dressing table,kettle ect,and twin beds,with two pillows on each,and white duvet covers,and overhead reading light.A modern London scene picture on the wall was a nice touch,to a simply decorated room.The en-suit was large and modern with floor to ceiling tileing ,plenty of towels,spare loo roll,and complimentry shower gel,hat,shampoo.There were a few cracked tiles if you really wanted to be picky,but that pales into insignificance when overall this is a great little hotel,in a vibrant area,very clean,very friendly,helpful staff,and i have not even got to the breakfast,which when booked in advance saves you £1.50 per day.We had the vegetarian full English,which is beautiful and comes with juice and a hot drink at £5 per head.This is served until the godly hour of 10,in the adjoining cafe,which is bright and welcoming.The free baggage leaving service is an extra bonus ,as we still wanted to explore the area after booking out.I would defineately stay here again,and cant believe i had not found it before.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I arrived at Camden Lock Hotel at half past 2, knowing that check in started at 2. I was hungry and tred when I arrived, my plan was to drop my stuff of in my room, grab some lunch and then go for a nap in my room as I was booked in for an operation the followng day.
However, when I arrived at the hotel I was given the key to my room and after opening the door I noticed that the room had not been cleaned from the previous occupants. I went back to the reception desk, returned my key and told of how my room had not been cleaned but that I wwill be back after I had got some lunch. Pretty reasonable I think.
After lunch (about 3.30) I returned to the reception desk where they rung the cleaner and asked if my room had been cleaned yet. To my surprise it had not! By this time I was getting pretty fed up. I complained to them of how I had arrived well after the allocated check-in time, and an hour later am still not in my room. With the reply being "we normally have two cleaners but one is away on holiday." As if this is my problem?!
I was then offered a free breakfast, I had to decline as I had to fast from 12 midnight in preperation for my operation. After stating this, I was given no alternative! Which, really, is disgusting and very unsympathetic. I then continued to wait in reception for atleast another half an hourbefore I could go up to my room.
I pain over £90 for the double bedroom for the one night and at that price I did not expect to receive the welcome that I got. Very unsatisfying and upsetting. Surely if hotels know that one of their cleaners is going on holiday and oonly leaving ONE other to clean the WHOLE hotel then they would find a temporary fill in?
Also, if a customer has arrived at the hotel and is the only ONE waiting for their room to be cleaned then that would be PRIORITY and get done first?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amy H
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 nights every week in April and May 2014. The staff were very friendly and always helpful. The accommodation is basic, but clean. There are plenty of nearby restaurants to make up for the lack of an evening dining room. Great Value and a Great Location.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back at far quieter than those at the front.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bazza1955
Nicoleta F, Manager at Camden Lock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Bazza1955,
Thank you very much for your review.
We appreciate your comments about our staff.
We look forward to welcome you again next time.