“Very Good foe Sheperds Bush Empire”
Review of Dalmacia Hotel

Dalmacia Hotel
Ranked #753 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Very Good foe Sheperds Bush Empire”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Used the hotel as an overnight stop after seeing a group at the O2. The location is a short 5-10 mins walk away and is around 15 mins to the nearest tube.

The reception fellow wasn't all that welcoming but think that was more of a language thing than anything else, the hotel is generally clean and I had no issues with traffic noise (I was at the back of the hotel). The room was generally clean although I cant really comment on room size as I had booked a single but was given a twin. The two beds were at 90 degree angles to each other so maybe not a twin that couples would want to use, but fine for friends.

Would I stay here again..yes, however I would look to maybe get a room at a 'chain' hotel closer to were I work if I could get them for less money.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back if noise is an issue.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Maybe it is because it was so hot and I was frustrated but this hotel was the let down of the trip.
Everywhere in London is so expensive maybe this is just what you get for the price (normally £100/night for a double, we got it a little cheaper from booking online)

-Positives-
The price - It was the cheapest that included breakfast by around £30 that I could find at the time.
Location - Only a 10min walk from the park/o2 venue/o'neills pub. 15-20mins walk to nearest tube stations and there are 3 near by so you can get to different lines. Although you have to walk through not the best areas to get to the hotels past a rowdy looking local pub.

*Negatives*

-No aircon - as the rooms are small they get really warm and even opening the windows cannot cool them down enough, plus it is on the main road so you hear loud traffic over the TV or all night keeping you awake

-Bathroom- Generally just tatty, in ours an air vent on the wall was snapped off and held up with tape and kept falling off. The shower head was mildewy, the water leaked out under the screen onto the floor. Not sure if there was hot water as I had an ice cold shower to try cool off. NO shower gel, just shampoo provided and no space to put makeup bag etc. The toilet took around 4 flushes for toilet paper to go down.

-Space- When you open the wardrobe the door hits the bed so you can't get past, when you walk in the door there is only just space to shuffle around the bed to get to the bathroom/bedside drawer/window etc. No real space for bags unless you put them inside the wardrobe.

-Kitchen staff-

Either rude or English too poor to understand, either way felt uncomfortable.
Breakfast was a croissant, a glass of orange juice (you could have more if you asked but not out to help yourself) and a selection of cereals. I tried the museli - not nice at all and what looked like special k mixed with rice crispies - also tasted a little stale. Toast was brought to the table cold.
When asked if I wanted tea or coffee and I said no thanks the staff stared blank at me until I repeated it twice, the next day I asked for more juice and they just shuffled off without a word then re-appeared next to me without word and started to try pour over my shoulder. Zero communication, it is London not abroad so I don't think I am asking a lot to be understood and spoken too!
On the second morning I came down and was looking for somewhere to sit, I saw a free table and was told 'No you wait' and ushered back out the door, for another man to then be politely greeted and said 'you can have this table'! I waited outside, hovering in the foyer looking lost, along with another couple also with no where to sit for breakfast, there really was not enough space. I then wandered back near the door to see if I could perch anywhere and told 'you sit there now *point* to a table they were still clearing away then they rushed off again. My friend then joined me, and the staff gave us shady looks for no reason, slammed the bread down and demanded 'tea? coffee?' It may seem petty but I felt uncomfortable and unwelcome and as a paying guest that is not right.
Oh and the milk was one tiny warm jug each, the sort you normally just have for coffee but you had to make it last for both your cereal!
Again you could probably get more if you dared to ask.

-Points to note-
Left luggage is just as a favour and left by the office not in a private room, the staff in the front office very nice and the lady who held door for us to get bags out. It is just the kitchen staff that were so bad.
Lots of steps to our room, only 1-2 rooms per floor it seemed and there were lots of floors. Didn't see any lifts but it may be hidden away for disabled guests?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Okay...things beyond the hotels control which I accept
Road noise
Foot traffic outside
Other Guests

Now for the bad bits..
£79 discounted price for the room (usually £99)
Tiny double room (works out at about £15 per square foot)
Tiny Bathroom
Peeling Wallpaper
Unfinished paintwork
Rusted Radiator in bathroom (probably caused by urine as its about 1.5inches from the toilet)
Mildew in the shower
Badly fitted Bathroom Furniture
TV ariel outlet hanging off
7 inches of hanging space (due to a Fridge being jammed into the space)
The most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in
Woolen Army style Blanket on the bed (The sheets were Very clean and freshly Laundered)
Only two pillows on a double bed

Now for the service...
Taking my payment the Gentleman dealing with me was fluent in English even though it was obviously not his first language....However, when I asked him to replace the desk fan in the room which was faulty, his grasp of English vanished as it did when i asked for batteries for the electronic safe, so no joy there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Easy to get to from the tube and the neighborhood was quiet. The room had an awful smell that really bothered us (old,musty). The beds were ok. I had two unpleasant experiences: 1) they have issues with their hot water heater. On two separate days we had to wait awhile to take a warm shower. The first time it was around 10pm. Benny ( I think that was his name) told my husband there was an issue with it and it would be fixed in 30 minutes. It did get fixed about an hour later but it was a bother to have to wait to shower after being out all day. The second time this happened it was 9am. George told my husband the water heater was off and to try again shortly. I thought this was strange. 2) one of the housekeepers was extremely rude to me. She knocked on our door at 10:50am. Check out is at 11am. She asked me when we were leaving. She had a major attitude about it. I politely told her that we would be out before checkout I was just waiting for my husband to return to help me carry our luggage. She rolled her eyes and pointed to her watch...it said 10:55am...regardless it still wasn't 11am so she should have gotten off our back about it. Another housekeeper came along (she was very nice) and I told her we would be out very shortly. She said it was fine, we were just the last room they needed to clean. All in all you get what you pay for. We paid around $300 for three nights in London so that was good.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 if you can. It's the basement level and faces the front street. People sit on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed here for Queens club tennis championship. Very good rate through hotels.com for triple room. Bathroom was small but clean and well appointed. Room was very warm, even with fan going and window open! Good size tho, and tv worked well. Breakfast was busy as they only have a small dining room but they allowed us to stay behind after 9am to have it so that worked out ok. Probably quieter if you go earlier on. Good breakfast service (continental style). Easy low stress check in/out. Pleasant employees. Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Dalmacia is a comfortable small hotel in a small vibrant neighborhood of shops and cafes. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from 2 major underground stations. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean. The sheets, towels and toiletries were much better than we usually find in a budget hotel. There was not much extra space in the room, but it was fine for us. The wi-fi was slow but adequate

Room Tip: We had room 8 (a triple) which faced the back and was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Me and two siblings stayed the night after going to a concert at the 02 Empire. The Dalmacia Hotel was convenient to return and had very cosy rooms. The Gentleman at reception was friendly and welcoming. The Dalmatia hotel is also very close to the underground tube station in shepherds bush which meant we didn't have to carry our bags for too long. The rooms were clean and good value for money- it met all of our needs for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends