“Great place to stay in London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dalmacia Hotel

Dalmacia Hotel
Ranked #745 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Tasmania
“Great place to stay in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Dalmacia hotel last month for four nights and can thoroughly recommend it for all types of travellers. It may not be a 5 star hotel but the location, comfort, cleanliness, and customer service were 5 star to us - all at a very reasonable price. We needed to include our son in our booking at the last minute and although it was difficult for the staff, because the hotel was heavily booked, they managed to accommodate us all. Thank you so much for that, Dalmacia staff. It's a 5 minute walk to the Shepherds Bush Tube station, a bus stop right outside the front door, there are some great restaurants around the hotel, parking available in the street nearby, a huge Westfield Shopping Centre next to the tube station. Yes, if you have a front room you will hear the noise from the street if you open the windows but I always travel with ear plugs and slept like a baby. I would definitely stay here again - a London gem which is great value for money in a city that is renown for being expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here while we were exhibiting at London Edge at the Olympia. The location of this hotel was key as we didn't want to have to travel by bus to the exhibition each morning in case there were problems or delays with traffic. This hotel was within just 7 minutes walking distance - and quite a pleasant walk it was too. The hotel itself was on a good clean street near a couple of late shops for groceries and essentials, there was a lovely cafe opposite and a fab little Italian restaurant just up on the next corner which was great value and very nice food too. The Dalmacia was very clean inside, the owner welcomed us with open arms and carried our suitcase for us to our room, all the way on the 4th floor in the attic, so we were happy about that! (He also helped us down with it when we left too!) The room was pleasant, roomy and the en suite was clean and tidy too. The bed was comfortable and there was a good amount of storage space for clothes and belongings. There were plenty of towels and a spare blanket in case we needed it. The room was in the roof at the front of the building on the street (Shepherds Bush Road) and was surprisingly quiet. There was no noise from adjoining rooms, either late at night or in the mornings. There were tea and coffee facilities in the room which were refreshed each day. (We stayed 3 nights). There was a kitchen area which could be used by guests for the use of microwave / use of fridge which was quite handy. The most outstanding memory of our stay at the Dalmacia was once we had left where we'd been gone a good few hours and were enjoying a little sight-seeing before we headed home on the train. We got a phonecall from the hotel to say we had left some keys, an iPod and a diary in the bedside cabinet. In the diary were all the orders we'd taken at the exhibition over the weekend, the keys were our house keys back in Newcastle without which we wouldn't have been able to get into our building and the without the iPod we reckon the train journey home would not have been tolerable at all! Such honesty and much appreciated indeed. All in all, a very pleasant stay. Well recommended hotel. 3* hotel, 5* customer service!

Room Tip: The attic room was quiet, though the wi-fi signal was a little intermittent at times.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

What you get for your money was value for money. They were very accomodating. Requested an early book in time which was no trouble. Next morning very friendly and sorted out our taxi back into London. Good location to tube if you want public transport. In the area are a few restaurants to choose from. We chose Cafe Rouge using a 20% discount code and had an amazing meal. Would recommend to anyone wanting some where to put their head for the night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Good location near Brook Green, which is a lovely area. Really handy for Hammersmith or Shepherds Bush, being 5-10 minutes walk from each.
Hotel was nice enough. Basic but nice enough.
Unfortunately I stayed on a (rare) hot night in London and it was a little uncomfortable. Opening the windows improved it but also exposed me to Shepherds Bush Road noise, making it difficult to sleep.
Shame really because I like it as a small friendly hotel.
Breakfast was lovely. I just had the continental, but the English looked really good. Morning food envy!
I would recommend this as a budget place, just not emphatically. It is definitely budget. But I like it.

Room Tip: Don't know about the others but room 3 was low down so I think suffered from brightness coming t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Used the hotel as an overnight stop after seeing a group at the O2. The location is a short 5-10 mins walk away and is around 15 mins to the nearest tube.

The reception fellow wasn't all that welcoming but think that was more of a language thing than anything else, the hotel is generally clean and I had no issues with traffic noise (I was at the back of the hotel). The room was generally clean although I cant really comment on room size as I had booked a single but was given a twin. The two beds were at 90 degree angles to each other so maybe not a twin that couples would want to use, but fine for friends.

Would I stay here again..yes, however I would look to maybe get a room at a 'chain' hotel closer to were I work if I could get them for less money.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back if noise is an issue.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Maybe it is because it was so hot and I was frustrated but this hotel was the let down of the trip.
Everywhere in London is so expensive maybe this is just what you get for the price (normally £100/night for a double, we got it a little cheaper from booking online)

-Positives-
The price - It was the cheapest that included breakfast by around £30 that I could find at the time.
Location - Only a 10min walk from the park/o2 venue/o'neills pub. 15-20mins walk to nearest tube stations and there are 3 near by so you can get to different lines. Although you have to walk through not the best areas to get to the hotels past a rowdy looking local pub.

*Negatives*

-No aircon - as the rooms are small they get really warm and even opening the windows cannot cool them down enough, plus it is on the main road so you hear loud traffic over the TV or all night keeping you awake

-Bathroom- Generally just tatty, in ours an air vent on the wall was snapped off and held up with tape and kept falling off. The shower head was mildewy, the water leaked out under the screen onto the floor. Not sure if there was hot water as I had an ice cold shower to try cool off. NO shower gel, just shampoo provided and no space to put makeup bag etc. The toilet took around 4 flushes for toilet paper to go down.

-Space- When you open the wardrobe the door hits the bed so you can't get past, when you walk in the door there is only just space to shuffle around the bed to get to the bathroom/bedside drawer/window etc. No real space for bags unless you put them inside the wardrobe.

-Kitchen staff-

Either rude or English too poor to understand, either way felt uncomfortable.
Breakfast was a croissant, a glass of orange juice (you could have more if you asked but not out to help yourself) and a selection of cereals. I tried the museli - not nice at all and what looked like special k mixed with rice crispies - also tasted a little stale. Toast was brought to the table cold.
When asked if I wanted tea or coffee and I said no thanks the staff stared blank at me until I repeated it twice, the next day I asked for more juice and they just shuffled off without a word then re-appeared next to me without word and started to try pour over my shoulder. Zero communication, it is London not abroad so I don't think I am asking a lot to be understood and spoken too!
On the second morning I came down and was looking for somewhere to sit, I saw a free table and was told 'No you wait' and ushered back out the door, for another man to then be politely greeted and said 'you can have this table'! I waited outside, hovering in the foyer looking lost, along with another couple also with no where to sit for breakfast, there really was not enough space. I then wandered back near the door to see if I could perch anywhere and told 'you sit there now *point* to a table they were still clearing away then they rushed off again. My friend then joined me, and the staff gave us shady looks for no reason, slammed the bread down and demanded 'tea? coffee?' It may seem petty but I felt uncomfortable and unwelcome and as a paying guest that is not right.
Oh and the milk was one tiny warm jug each, the sort you normally just have for coffee but you had to make it last for both your cereal!
Again you could probably get more if you dared to ask.

-Points to note-
Left luggage is just as a favour and left by the office not in a private room, the staff in the front office very nice and the lady who held door for us to get bags out. It is just the kitchen staff that were so bad.
Lots of steps to our room, only 1-2 rooms per floor it seemed and there were lots of floors. Didn't see any lifts but it may be hidden away for disabled guests?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Okay...things beyond the hotels control which I accept
Road noise
Foot traffic outside
Other Guests

Now for the bad bits..
£79 discounted price for the room (usually £99)
Tiny double room (works out at about £15 per square foot)
Tiny Bathroom
Peeling Wallpaper
Unfinished paintwork
Rusted Radiator in bathroom (probably caused by urine as its about 1.5inches from the toilet)
Mildew in the shower
Badly fitted Bathroom Furniture
TV ariel outlet hanging off
7 inches of hanging space (due to a Fridge being jammed into the space)
The most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in
Woolen Army style Blanket on the bed (The sheets were Very clean and freshly Laundered)
Only two pillows on a double bed

Now for the service...
Taking my payment the Gentleman dealing with me was fluent in English even though it was obviously not his first language....However, when I asked him to replace the desk fan in the room which was faulty, his grasp of English vanished as it did when i asked for batteries for the electronic safe, so no joy there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple