“Good but room for improvement”
Review of Fairway Hotel

Fairway Hotel
Ranked #79 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights. The room was small but functional, spotlessly clean and well decorated with nice furnishings. Good value for money but on the downside why charge 3% for using a credit card? This cost should not be passed on to the customer.

I went for breakfast once but didn't stay as the dining room is very small, everyone sits at several large tables and it was almost full. Unless you're feeling sociable first thing in the morning I'd give it a miss. There are plenty of other places to eat breakfast locally.

Finally, the walls are very thin so you will hear people and the door closers were annoying as every door in the place seems to close fast with a bang which meant it was particularly noisy in the morning. They need adjusting.

Apart from that it's an inexpensive great budget hotel and close to Kings Cross / St Pancras station.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SMF2412
There are newer reviews for Fairway Hotel

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had a triple room so were a big apprehensive the room would be cramped. We were pleasantly surprised. Service was faultless, great price, great location. No complaints for a 3 star b&b it did what it said on the box

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We chose this hotel because we had a train departure at 6 a.m. so needed to be close to the station which is 100 metres away. We were both very pleased with the choice. The staff are friendly and helpful which is always a good start. We stayed two nights.
The room was compact but extremely clean and well prepared, the bed was comfortable and well made, the tea and coffee was generous unlike the two sachets you receive in some large hotels. The TV worked, although when we are on a leisure break we don't spend any time in a hotel room watching TV, but it is useful for waking up with. My only SLIGHT reservation is that the bathroom was tiny but hey, do what you have to do and that's all that is necessary.
I am 61 and my wife is 56, we were on the top floor, furthest room away. Stairs are stairs, I would NOT let this put me off staying again, and we will stay again. Breakfast was good and served by happy courteous staff.
As a comparison on price last year I stayed at a large hotel across the main road (not the St Pancras) which cost £270 a night, no dinner, no breakfast, no TV unless you paid £14, no wifi unless you paid. The bed was 2 metres wide but so what and you could have held a dance in the bathroom but all I wanted was a nights sleep.
If you want a place to stay in an excellent location at a good price (remember this is London) then I recommend the Fairway. Few frills or fancies but clean, tidy, friendly and practical.
For genuine

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the Fairway Hotel. The location is outstanding. You are less than a minute from the main station. Our room was en suite and we found the room to be clean, beds were very comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great,
and we will definitely come back and stay there again. London is very expensive, and we found this hotel to be the best value for your money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ElfromCA
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Exactly what everyone says: don't expect the Ritz and remember you're right in the middle of London, so expect smaller rooms. Also, another reviewer mentioned that there are rooms on the third floor and no lift. So expect that too and you won't be disappointed!

Very clean little hotel! Really friendly and helpful staff! I stayed for one night.

All I have to say is that it had a couple of little defects, but none of which made my stay unpleasant. The little lamp above my mirror was broken, the window was missing the latch (but there were double windows in my room (nr 19) on the third floor, so I could close it well enough) and the telephone didn't seem to work properly.

But like I said, good hotel and pleasant stay, so I would book again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank indravc
Reviewed 22 March 2014

If you're expecting the Ritz then this isn't the place for you - but if you're after budget, convenient accommodation in London then this hotel is just the job. I stayed for three nights in an en suite room, which was very clean and absolutely fine for my needs as a single traveller working in London on business. I didn't take breakfast so I can't comment on that but the staff are very friendly, the rooms serve their purpose and it's 2 minutes walk away from Kings Cross tube. I've stayed in other budget accommodation in the Argyle Street/Square area and this was the most homely and friendly. As with all accommodation in this street/Square, they are compact, the walls are very thin, and the many rooms are fitted into old townhouses - but at this price what do you expect? If you're looking for a budget, convenient and friendly place to bed down for the night, then this is perfectly fine.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 21.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lancashirelass28
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in. Room on 3rd floor, no lift, ensuite was a cupboard, tv view rubbish, room hot and stuffy, Bed had springs stickin out of it, The one towel was a hand towel size. Breakfast - terrible did not bother on 2nd day,

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ELBULLKJBULL
GanpatMalta, Manager at Fairway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Sir and readers,

Looking at other guest reviews one quickly recognizes that such a review is not constructive . I would be the first to admit we are not perfect , but I feel the guest in this case did not realize beforehand that this is a bed and breakfast with the limitations of all similar establishments in the area.
Expect that the room might be higher up and that there is no lift . Whenever possible we do allocate lower rooms when asked . Yes the rooms are small. This is central London , a room twice the size will be twice the price.