“shameful”

Ranked #394 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“shameful”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Expensive for what it was. Poor facicilites even poorer breakfast... but then I am a northerner and like a good English breakfast when away! Shabby, not very friendly. I've stayed at cheaper hotels in London which have been superb! Wouldn't go there again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank katealan_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed at the Fitzroy hotel from the 27th to the 29th of October, and I can stay with utmost honesty that this hotel is absolutely charming. After reading some reviews on this site I was a little worried about what it was going to be like, and was most surprised to find that I had worried for nothing.

The staff were lovely and friendly (although a younger team member needs to be introduced to the term 'bacon butty' :P) and couldn't do enough for us. They were even more that happy to care for our bags and store my laptop in there office while we went shopping after we checked out.

The room was clean and the bathroom spotless. A slight damp mark above the shower, the beds were a little dirty on the base but the mattress and sheets were clean. (There was a slight mark on my sheet, but I have reason to believe that might have been me after eating sweets in bed).

The breakfast was lovely, and filling. Would have preferred more of it, (the second day I had what resembled a tablespoon of beans) but there was more to help our selves to, and the staff were always happy to do requests (save the bacon butty scenario).

All in all I had a lovely stay at the Fitzroy hotel. Don't book here and expect the Ritz (I think some people on this site believe they should get 5 star service at a 2 star hotel). This is a great hotel for when your on a budget, and want a safe place to sleep with a hearty breakfast in the morning. I would definetley book again :)

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank EmmiLouisa
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Do NOT book a room at this "hotel" You might end up living in a closet in a basement with mould in the bathroom and no windows... I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy! Do yourself a favour: Stay away!

Room Tip: Avoid room no. 1!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank UllaVAarhus_Denmark

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The location was good - near undergroud and busses - near Regent´s Park
The English breakfast was OK
I wish you put up two lamps on the wall so your guests can read in bed!
I wish you can fix a wardrobe!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We were made pay for the room before we seen it. Had to go to the top of the house only to discover a box room. No cover on the bed, broken shower door, dingy and dirty. We left and when we went downstairs there was no one there so we couldnt get a refund!!! Dont gi near this excuse for an hotel!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
7 Thank AnitaMcD1969
Gent
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

Seriously...what a rip off. For a family room we were given a shoebox with a bed a little bigger than a single. Bathroom was almost like the toilet in Trainspotting. Places like this make me think it might be suitable for someone who was just been released from prison and has nowhere else to go.

I'm actually considering to retrieve my money back through visa.

• Stayed September 2011
13 Thank Iain S
Derbyshire
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This hotel was basic and you get what you pay for. For the prices you pay...Don't expect the Ritz! The location was ideal as it was a stones throw away from the tube station. The staff seemed friendly and the breakfast was spot on. We stayed at the very top. The downside was that the stairs seemed never ending. It was a little dated and the place could do with a lick of paint, new longer 'pairs' of curtains and maybe new carpet, but other than that, it was ok. The bedding and towels were clean, white and fresh and there was ample soap, toilet roll and tea and coffee. If we were to stay in room 14 again, I would definitely stay there another time. Overall, it was not as bad as we anticipated as the reviews really put me off. But as I said, you get what you pay for, and in London, it wasn't too bad.

Room Tip: Room 14 where we stayed was not too bad, although it needed a pair of curtains against the two windo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends