“wish I'd had made time to look at reviews in more detail”
Review of Holly House Hotel

Holly House Hotel
Ranked #922 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I'd not recommend this hotel. Booked over the internet using Booking.com I paid £105 for two adults and a child. The internet price was more than the rack rate!
We were shown to a basement room which had a double bed which was clean and adequately made up. There was a set of bunk-beds that had graffiti from past guests. There was also a day bed and a sun lounger type bed available so you could have squeezed 6 in. The general structure of the room ie walls and skirting etc were in a poor state of repair even though they did look as if they had had a layer of paint put over them. We opened a cupboard to find a toilet and open drains that stank so much we had to leave the extractor fan running...to no avail. We looked for alternative accommodation but there were no rooms available.
The hotel location is great only a couple of minutes from Victoria railway station. We couldn't face the breakfast as the smell from the 'en-suite' just made everything feel dirty and unclean.
I felt as if this should have been an hostel not an hotel you may then have expected very little for your money.

Room Tip: check your room and ask for another if it's not up to scratch ....don't pay before you check...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pevensey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

A TripAdvisor Member
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Located only a few minutes away from the Victoria station with trains, buses and the subway. I had a family room with two beds for the first night there. It was large, but quite noisy, because it was close beside the breakfast room and staff from the hotel was running around in front of my room door in the evening.
Next day, they knocked at my door at 9am (I was sleeping until then) and said that I have to change my room. The new room was small and a little bit dirty. I had a grasshopper in my bathroom and between the toilet and the edge of the wall was not enough space to sit on it with your legs straight in front of you.

I would recommend the hotel because of the location and the cheap price, but I didn´t like the unkindliness of the staff and the state of the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Basicly took this based on the location, Rooms are not so good you could tell is like a crash pad type very small bath that is imposible to wash properly but gain this is if you just need a place to rest for a few hours or a night, Stuff are good but that doesn't help

Room Tip: If you want to save take a hotel near east Court area chepaer and go to victoria using metro this...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2012

A typical London budget hotel, everything was as expected (small room, old furniture, funny bathroom...). The location is very good, 10min walk to Victoria station, friendly and safe neighbourhood. But every experienced London visitor knows this type of hotel. Cleanliness o.k., tea and coffee making fac. exist. Rail track very near, but not to loud.
Recommendation to advanced London tourists, all others should look for a more comfortable (but much more expensive) hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The experience was terrible. The sound of the trains passing through the station at night was unbearable as the these were really close and the thin glass of the window barely block the noise, it was impossible for me to sleep. The room was also extremely hot and that was weird considering it was winter and that the heater was off. There were also cockroaches in my room. I travel a lot and I have visited a lot of different hotels and I can say without any doubt that Holly House Hotel has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Álvaro G
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The staff were great but the place is like a dump.I paid about £400 for a week, so wasn't happy. During the week had three different bedrooms for various reasons.To add salt to injury 2 days before I was due to checkout, the heating packed in and the room had old windows which could not keep the cold out. I was told they had no other heater that could be used.Would advise against staying here.I chose due to location.Would never stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed 17 December 2011

When i arrived at the guest house i was taken to my room that was in a building 2doors down the road (the annex), it was quite nice but very warm i had to turn the rad right down (but i guess hot is better then cold) it was in a very good place quite close to victoria station :-) I had a very good nights sleep, I didnt have breakfast because i had to leave early to get my flight so i dont know what that was like but all in all it was a good stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo