“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Holly House Hotel

Holly House Hotel
Ranked #926 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Room Tip: I would prefer to see milk and/or cream pots for the tea and coffee making and not the milk powders...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Having read previous reviews I was expecting the worse but was proved wrong. The location is fantastic (2 min walk from Victoria coach station and an extra 5 mins to Victoria station/tube)and though the property backs into a rail track, my partner and I slept very well. The room was small but had everything we needed-fridge, closet space, drink making facilities and a mirror. We were given the option of upgrading to an en suite room for just £4 extra which was great. I checked out the shared bathrooms and they were spotless. Yes the en suite was tiny but the shower was powerful and hot. I will certainly come back here everytime I visit London. It was just like being at home really. There is nothing bad to say about this hotel really except at times the bathroom had a slight smell of sewage. Its a real bargain and you can't find anything cheaper for the location and a cosy room. It was valentines weekend and I only paid £108 for 2 nights in a double room.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clockface123
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I'll start from the beginning, (sorry it's long!) The man at reception was on the phone and pretty much ignored us for a few minutes, but once he was off it, he was nice and helpful. We ended up being sent to another hotel, Cedar house. Which they own, didn't mind that really. We were in one of the first rooms in the hotel, it was pretty clean and actually not a bad size. But the tv was up in a corner so you couldn't see the picture clearly and we quickly found a very 'questionable' stain on the blanket. Clearly hadn't been washed. Bed was hard, but I was expecting that and it got very cold. You can hear upstairs floor creaking terribly and it rattled the light shade, very annoying when the person upstairs was leaving at 4.00 in the morning, I'm pretty sure the staff went straight in to clean the room aswell, all I heard was loud foot steps and that light shade rattling till 5.30am. The main problem I had with this place was the lightshade. It was a glass bowl and all it did was rattle very loudly at every slight movement, even when the light was on. I wont stay here again purely because of that lightshade! breakfast was meant to be continental and at 7-9, we went at half 8 and all that was offered was toast and cereal. They cleared up our table before we were even finished and wiped the table down with my used napkin. They atleast seemed nice though. Check out was at 10 but one man came knocking very impatiently telling us to check out now. And it was only 5 past 9! We were very eager to leave then.

Few good points, it's literally down the road from Victoria station and from an amazing pub, with amazing food (st George's tavern) it has a mini fridge and the room wasn't unclean and was bigger than some hotels I've stayed in in London and it was pretty cheap.

Final note, they have loads of tea and coffee in the room, but no milk, just whitener. It was ok, but just a heads up to tea lovers!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We've been warned from these rewievs, so we didn't expect much from the hotel. It's really just a bed'n'breakfast place - rooms are very small, but ok if you just want a place to sleep. Staff was helpful and sometimes I saw a little smile:) Rooms were tidy, just as the shared toilet and the shower. And the location is great, of course.
We were lucky to be in a good room with silent neighbours - we slept very well:)

Room Tip: Tip for you - ask for a street view, and in the highest floor if it's possible - you'll avoi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel is terrible, first we get a room in another place different that Holly house Hotel, also the rooms are very small.
The rooms that you see in the picture are not the same that you will get when you arrive to the hotel, I don't now how they call this place hotel.

NEVER stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Look for a hotel different that Hollly House
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Marco C
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Great location, next to Victoria station. Breakfast is from 7-9: at 9 an alarm bell starts ringing and at 9.10 they ask you to leave. Rooms are very small but ok. Shared shower/toilet not very clean. Very basic service. Good if you only need a place to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This is probably the cheapest you'll stay this close to the center of London, and for the price we didn't expect much with regards to room standard, breakfast etc, and that's OK, you get what you pay for. But the extreme lack of service was a surprise. It was bordering to ridiculous. We had booked two different rooms, which they didn't have, so they put us in the same room the first night. Then they kicked us out the next morning at check out time, WITH OUT HAVING A NEW ROOM READY! They were generally not very helpful (or at times not even present), the breakfast ended at 0900 sharp, regardless of whether people still were eating or not the cleaning away started. And for some reason I did not get my room tidied.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends