“Dirty,shabby hotel”

Hotel Lily London - Kensington/Earl's Court
Ranked #995 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I would advise NOT staying in this hotel. Luckily I wasn't paying for the room but a colleague was-over £80! I slept fully clothed, didn't venture into the shower as I was cleaner going without...disgusting.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank MJSDB

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My partner booked here as we needed a last min stay after booking to see a show for my birthday, he got it a deal down to £60 from £100 for the one night! To me this price was even steep let alone the original price! (We stayed last year in a Hilton in Birmingham for £35).
We got to the hotel which is only less than two mins walk from West Brompton station, outside looks shabby, the flags hanging outside look as though they'd been out to sea a few times. The Lobby was nice enough however did smell like toilets?? We booked in and went up to our room, it's like a ship corridor, maybe that explains what with the flags? The room was cramped and very basic looking, old fashioned. The tea and coffee supplies were dirty covered in tea stains, clearly weren't taken after the last people's stay. My partner asked to change rooms and they had us a second room, ever so slightly bigger. The wall paper was hanging off in areas, curtains weren't hung properly on the rail and there was chocolate smeared over the bedside light?
The tv worked but the aerial wasn't good picture or sound.
The bathroom was dirty looking, mildew on the tiles, rust and stains in the sink n bath. If they were cleaned on a daily basis there would be no mould? There was only one pillow each, not very plump, we called down to reception who said there were no extra pillows available, there was only an old blanket in the bottom of the wardrobe.
Breakfast was a "cooked full English" down in the basement, the dining room looked clean n nice enough, was given orange juice and tea or coffee, slice and a half each of toast with jam and marmalade. The cooked breakfast was one sausage, one bacon, beans and one fried egg. Not quite what we call a full English but it went down ok. We did request an extra sausage each and they did which was nice enough of them.

When my partner booked he believed it was a 3star however a few websites state it's a 2. This would make more sense. It's very very basic and could really do with a refurb. Certainly wouldn't go back, rooms seemed a lot nicer at travelodges and holiday inns we've stayed at previously, more room and a lot cleaner and smarter. Think they could really make this hotel a nice little stay if they tried, it's an ideal location but very tired and is more looking like a hostel than a hotel, not worth the price unfortunately.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2013

It is a budget property and the location to the bus, train & tube stops is very convenient. The issue I had was with the bed linens. The bed only had 1 flat sheet over the mattress and it was not fitted, so parts of the mattress were showing. No mattress pad. The extra blanket that was stored in the bottom of the closet looked old and suspiciously unclean. Glad I didn't need it because I was afraid to touch it actually. I would not have used it. I did see one dried up dead bug. The bathroom with shower was clean and worked properly. I did hear another guest complaining to the front desk that the shower in his room was not working. The desk clerk in the evening was friendly and helpful. I would try a different Hotel next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here as is located less than 2 minutes' walk from West Brompton tube station and the area has lots of pubs and restaurants which are close. Also it is opposite Earls Court so great if you are working there.
The room I had was basic, very small and had three beds cramped into it. The curtains were hanging off the track a little and there was no TV remote (I did request one from reception and this was provided straight away). But it was clean, the shower worked well (always a plus for me!) and quiet even though on a main road.

The breakfast was a pleasant surprise, full English offered and everything served at table as opposed to a buffet. Staff pleasant and helpful, made a lone traveller feel at home.

Summary: cheap (£65 per night B & B), clean, no frills whatsoever but did what it said on the tin. You can stay in London and not pay and arm and a leg!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After reading the reviews I was a little concerned what to expect. A grou of us had booked to see a concert at Earls Court and the location of the hotel is just perfect for this, it is just a stones throw away.
The rooms are a little dated and to say the least, compact, but this was fine for a one night stay. I would have been a little disappointed had I had to stay longer.

The room was clean and tidy, the only critisizm is that the heating was on full and there was no way of turning the radiators dow so was uncomfortabally hot during the nigt.

I wiold be happy to stay again if I nneded to go to Earls Court purly for the location and value for money (£187.50) for four persons, this is a very good price for any London hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank s00n
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Simply Terrible, I am 43 years old, traveled a lot around Europe, visit london often and I must say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was in terrible condition all round, worn, small, dirty and no furniture whatsoever just stained beds. Breakfast was no better, very disappointed, I would not stay here if it was Free!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Rene R
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We booked this hotel before reading the reviews and was wondering what to expect on arrival , however it was not as bad as some suggest. we arrived by tube to West Brompton stn on the District line, 15 mins from city centre and walked just 2 mins to the hotel. The hotel is a little dated and due a refurb but the rooms are clean and just about big enough for a short sight seeing stay, it can be a little noisy if the room is near the road but didn't keep us awake. The restaurant is in the basement and again the room looks dated but the breakfast is good and the staff are helpful . We spent 3 nights here while we explored the London sights and enjoyed it, for the price you pay at this hotel don't expect the Hilton, be realistic its a budget 2 star hotel, but for the time you actually spend in the hotel, it's comfortable enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of hotel away from road