“One and only stay and never again”

Hotel Lily London - Kensington/Earl's Court
Ranked #983 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“One and only stay and never again”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I booked this hotel by a BIG mistake I stayed on Lille road a few years ago and thought it was the Lily Hotel only to find out when I drove up the road I stayed in the Ibis next door last time, never mind I checked in reception seemed ok until I got to our floor OMG what a hole, it's the worst hotel I have ever stated in. The double room was so small you had to walk sideways around the bed, floors were filthy, shower head holes in the walls, the decorating looks like it was done by a 3 year old windows didn't work plus there were drafts,cheap bed that you could feel every spring, one cheap pillow each no TV unless you paid £10 deposit, bath panel hanging off with holes in the hardboard how old is that, it smelt of an old damp house....please someone take this place over and turn it into a hotel not a HOSTAL that it felt like, there was no character or cleanliness, we left by 8am to have breakfast in Carluccios and thankfully we didn't arrive until 9pm for one night only and never again unless you want cheap and nasty stay away.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank handballeruk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at the Lily hotel for 3 days in early December. I used to work in luxury hotels and I come from a hotel background and yes..this hotel is far from perfect, it has its faults, however I paid £50 per night incl English breakfast for a double room........
Negatives : Room I had (226) was very tired, and could do with a refurb, & bathroom was very basic.
Positives : Lobby very clean & modern as were the corridors and public areas. Bed very comfortable with warm clean bedding. Bathroom shower was excellent. Breakfast is indeed basic however it was included in the price and when I asked for more the staff were very obliging. Staff at reception were very helpful and friendly as were the restaurant staff and the location is very good being very close to Earl's court exhibition centre and the underground. Yes of course you will find many better hotels in London, however before you heavily criticise this hotel, remember what you paid. If you want the Ritz and pay £500 per night then dig deeper into your pockets. The local IBIS and Travelodges were asking for three times as much money when I booked on line. If you want a warm comfortable hotel to stay in, with friendly staff, that doesn't break the bank - I recommend the Lily. The 4 star rating is based on the price I paid for a central London hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sebastian2009
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Night before our stay I decided to read the reviews, and to be honest they made me and my partner regret not having done so, but upon arriving at the hotel I'm not sure where the reviews took place as they certainly weren't our experience, yes the reception smelled like bleach but at least it was clean, staff lovely and friendly room only what you expect for £114 for 2 nights in London!! Was going to be £369 in a primer inn just up the road without breakfast!! Shower worked amazingly. Breakfast cold beans but didn't really matter, only 1 piece of each item but it's free so couldn't complain, bed lovely and comfy, building dated but so is all of earls court, all in all really glad I didn't bother to read these reviews since there typical English people moaning about little things, value for money can't vault this hotel, plus it had parking! Which most I looked at for double the price didnt.

1 Thank Emily876
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My head office booked this hotel for myself and 5 other staff members. I read the reviews and quite frankly we were all dreading staying there! Our experience was no where near as bad as some have experienced. Many reviews seem to think that circa £80 a night is expensive or that they received poor value! Come on its London! We paid £180 a night for a Premier Lodge just up the road earlier this year!
HIGH NOTES...........Reception area nice and the staff were superb. Our rooms were clean. It is a great location for Earls Court. £5 a day for internet OK and worked well.Rooms quiet at night.Breakfast service efficient.Hotel has a car park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (could not get in until the end of our stay though).
NOT SO GOOD.......Full breakfast portion very mean. One toilet did block on the last day.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room on the second floor at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wädenswil, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We were in London for a weelkend seminar (Thursday to Sunday). Unfortunately the Ibis Hotel, in which the seminar took place, was already fully booked. So we decided to take the place closest to the Ibis, which was Hotel Lily. Yes, we have read the negative critics about the hotel, but we thought it can't be that bad. Unfortunately it was, everything we read was confirmed. The room (229) was so bad that we wanted to check out. As we had prepaied and would have lost the money we were willing to have a look at another room (228). Compared to the first one, the second one was "superb", which made us even more think about the management. As the hotel was not full at all, why did they give us this unacceptable room right next to a much better one? We think you don't have to fid this out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Erhard R
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I would advise NOT staying in this hotel. Luckily I wasn't paying for the room but a colleague was-over £80! I slept fully clothed, didn't venture into the shower as I was cleaner going without...disgusting.

2 Thank MJSDB
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My partner booked here as we needed a last min stay after booking to see a show for my birthday, he got it a deal down to £60 from £100 for the one night! To me this price was even steep let alone the original price! (We stayed last year in a Hilton in Birmingham for £35).
We got to the hotel which is only less than two mins walk from West Brompton station, outside looks shabby, the flags hanging outside look as though they'd been out to sea a few times. The Lobby was nice enough however did smell like toilets?? We booked in and went up to our room, it's like a ship corridor, maybe that explains what with the flags? The room was cramped and very basic looking, old fashioned. The tea and coffee supplies were dirty covered in tea stains, clearly weren't taken after the last people's stay. My partner asked to change rooms and they had us a second room, ever so slightly bigger. The wall paper was hanging off in areas, curtains weren't hung properly on the rail and there was chocolate smeared over the bedside light?
The tv worked but the aerial wasn't good picture or sound.
The bathroom was dirty looking, mildew on the tiles, rust and stains in the sink n bath. If they were cleaned on a daily basis there would be no mould? There was only one pillow each, not very plump, we called down to reception who said there were no extra pillows available, there was only an old blanket in the bottom of the wardrobe.
Breakfast was a "cooked full English" down in the basement, the dining room looked clean n nice enough, was given orange juice and tea or coffee, slice and a half each of toast with jam and marmalade. The cooked breakfast was one sausage, one bacon, beans and one fried egg. Not quite what we call a full English but it went down ok. We did request an extra sausage each and they did which was nice enough of them.

When my partner booked he believed it was a 3star however a few websites state it's a 2. This would make more sense. It's very very basic and could really do with a refurb. Certainly wouldn't go back, rooms seemed a lot nicer at travelodges and holiday inns we've stayed at previously, more room and a lot cleaner and smarter. Think they could really make this hotel a nice little stay if they tried, it's an ideal location but very tired and is more looking like a hostel than a hotel, not worth the price unfortunately.