“If affordability and location are your main priorities Hotel Lily is ok for a few nights.”

Hotel Lily London - Kensington/Earl's Court
Ranked #981 of 1,063 Hotels in London
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Hotel Lily has two massive advantages; 1. affordability and 2. location. It is a budget hotel and for a budget hotel the facilities were adequate. Do not book this hotel if you are looking for luxury, somewhere to chill and unwind or any kind of 'service'. However, if you need affordable, basic accommodation in an excellent location this hotel offers exactly that.

We payed approx £70 for a basic double room. From the website photos I think it was a newly re-furbished room, and was therefore adequate in terms of cleanliness, although still shabby:

Bedroom
Very, very small but contained all basics - bed (bedding was old/cheap but clean) bedside table, wardrobe, foot stool and desk, TV, very basic tea/coffee making facilities. Only one double plug socket available for use in room (including plugging in TV and kettle). No temperature control, windows opened slightly but in extreme weather room probably gets very hot or very cold.

Bathroom
Functional but nothing special and looks worn out although think it has been upgraded (cheaply). Toilet, sink and bath were all clean. Shower was hot and powerful. Had to go back down to Reception and ask for towels (clean but thin fabric). Only toiletries provided are 2 tiny bars of soap.

Breakfast
Included in price - one glass of orange juice, one cup coffee/tea, toast with butter/jam/marmalade packs, 'full' English was one sausage, one bacon rasher, one fried egg, beans. We ate breakfast the first morning and it was quite greasy but just about ok if you're not fussy about food. We chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel the second day.

Staff
Friendly and polite on our arrival and departure (check in/check out very straight-forward and quick) and also at breakfast. However didn't really see much of them at all.

Noise
This hotel is not particularly quiet. Doors bang and crash inside the hotel and quite a bit of noise can be heard outside, so probably not for light sleepers, but this did not keep us awake.

Location
Excellent. Very short walk from District/Circle line Earls Court Tube (Warwick Street exit, turn left, turn right at traffic lights onto Eardley, then right at end of road, Hotel Lily on left) and is even closer to District line West Brompton tube station. Can take short, direct tube route to/from Paddington Station.

Would I stay again? It is definitely not a hotel I would choose to use again if I was on holiday or looking to treat myself, however it is in an excellent location and is affordable so I probably would stay again if, for example, I was staying over after an event because it was more convenient than travelling home.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10Jennifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as it was close to the hammersmith Apollo where we were seeing kate bush.
It's a very basic budget B&B style hotel. Rooms are small but clean. Breakfast was adequate (avoid the beans) staff friendly.
Plus it's 250m from a district line tube station, and it was £35 a night for a room plus breakfast.
Your in the heart of the capital so your money doesn't go far, so this hotel is great for a cheap short term stay. People who expect better - look at what you are paying!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Cleggontour
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed here just because it was over the road from Earls Court, perfect for convention goers like myself.

The staff were the main thing that let this place down. I never saw any of them smile once! Not welcoming at all, didn't have high hopes after checking in!

The lifts in the reception are just big enough for 1 person and 1 bag! We had to go up one at a time! Was not practical in the slightest.

Rooms are basic, clean but very basic. It was okay until we discovered a piece of metal (see photo) from the mattress sticking through the sheets, I scraped my leg on it, so beware!
The bathroom was a little grubby and needs updating. Not too much to say really, it was alright for one night but really small rooms and the bed was pushed right up against the wall so you couldn't get to the other side which is something I hate.
I personally wouldn't return, no major problems.. It just wasn't for me!

Room Tip: Just don't expect a smile from these guys!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tyrant_virus
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Don't stay here, it was awful!. The rooms are tiny, dirty, noisy. The staff don't care and there is no service. The breakfast was the cheapest possible, the restaurant was dirty. The lifts didn't work all week and probably still don't. The dirty laundry was piled in bags on the stairs leading down to the restaurant. The bathroom wasn't cleaned all week and the bed wasn't made. The sheets were too small for the bed and couldn't be tucked in. There were holes in the bedlinen. The carpet was not cleaned. The door closer was broken. The fire door next to our room was left open all the time. There was the smell of cigarette smoke at night and of stagnant water all day. There was no hairdryer. A charge was made for the remote control for the TV.
Worst of all though was the complete lack of service. The staff just didn't care despite our complaints.

Room Tip: Dont, there aren't any.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This has to have been the worst experience of our lives even worse than the hotels we had unfortunately stayed at in Italy a few years ago.

When I booked this hotel for us and our friends, I asked if there were rooms for disabled. I was told there was not but there was a lift and the manager did offer rooms on a lower floor. I also asked for quiet rooms if possible.

We arrived on the Sunday that the storm left by Bertha had passed over the country. There was a huge puddle outside the hotel. There were missing tiles on the step outside. The foyer was very clean and smart looking. One thing we noticed straight away was that the lifts were not working. The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful. He explained that the lift shafts were flooded due to the storm but were going to be fixed very quickly. He also apologised to our friend who finds working very difficult.

As we went through the door to the stairwell, the first thing we noticed was a very damp smell. We managed to get up to our rooms which were fortunately on the first floor. It was a struggle because I was unable to carry anything heavy and our friend was struggling to get himself up the stairs on his own. His wife had to try and lug their case up on her own. Thank goodness we were on the first floor!!!

As we opened the door to the first floor we noticed an iron and board set up in the hall. The carpet was very worn with loose threads. We walked down the long corridor through extremely noisy fire doors which squeaked as they were opened and closed.

Our room which overlooked the rear car park was as requested quiet. That was the only good thing about the room. It was tiny. It was a single room with a double bed in it. It was far too small for two people, if one wanted to pass the other they had to sit on the bed to get out of the way. The en suite was minute. We all thought never mind we only have to sleep in the room so never mind at least it was clean! There was no hair dryer in the room.

During the night I kept catching my foot on something in the mattress. It was very uncomfortable and annoying. In the morning I found a metal bit sticking up through a hole in the mattress. I reported the problem to the receptionist, who apparently was the manageress, on the way to breakfast. She said she would look into it.

We went to breakfast which was down in the basement. Our friend struggled to walk down the two flights of stairs as the lifts were still out of order. The smell in the basement was dreadful. The dining room was very ornate but very shabby. The seating was dirty and torn in lots of places. There was very little choice for breakfast. The cooked breakfast consisted of bacon (quite nice), sausage (little or no meat), the cheapest baked beans possible and an fried egg with a hard yolk. I was only offered cornflakes as an alternative.

When we got back to the hotel the lifts were still not working. Once again the receptionist promised that the lifts would be working again soon. We went up to our room nothing had been done about the hole in the mattress. We decided to flip the mattress over but when we saw the blood stains on the other side we thought no. We top and tailed the mattress which was very difficult as the mattress was as long as the room was wide. I had a better sleep.

We stayed here a week and every day we were promised that the lifts would be repaired but every day they were not. There was water in the bottom of the lift shaft which we could see as we went to breakfast. The stagnant water smell got worse and worse. Our friend complained every morning and every night about the lack of lift.

During our stay the bed was never made properly, the duvet was just thrown over the ruffled bottom sheet. On our last night we even came back to find the bed had not been made at all. We don’t think the bathroom was cleaned at all for the whole week as nothing was ever moved. On one occasion our cups were not exchanged for clean ones so we had to wash them before we could use them again. I don’t think our room was dusted once.

We went down for breakfast on Saturday at the same time as usual. The dining room was very busy and there was not a free table that would seat four except one that hadn’t been cleared. The head waiter told me to sit there. I refused until it had been cleaned. He told me that I would have to wait 10 minutes then. Luckily it was cleared and cleaned much quicker than that. I don’t see why we should have to sit at a table with someone else’s leftovers!!!

When we left the dining room for the last time, we had to navigate up the stairs through a large pile of linen bags that had collapsed and was blocking a landing.

We also had to ask for an extra towel every night as the towels were taken away every day. Any other hotel we have stayed in always replaced the extra towel.

We thought the hospitality business was about service for the client but the staff of the Lily Hotel could not care less about their guests. When we did politely inform them at the beginning of the week of any problems they ignored us and the same when our friend lost his temper with the manageress so we were fighting a losing battle. We will never ever stay here again and would warn others to do the same.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed there on a business trip; I know very well that the standard for hotels in London if you want to spend less than £ 100 a night is awful, but a minimum level of decency should be upheld.
I can live with the very tiny room (you could hardly walk around the bed) and I can even live with the very poor breakfast (and extremely low quality too), but not with poor hygiene. The room was really dirty and the bathroom even worse. The reception area which was the only one well looked after (probably because it was visible from outside); all the other communal areas were absolutely filthy with rubbish bags full of food waste and other crap literally abandoned for days on the floor in the halls and crumbs and food remains dirtying all the seats, floor and tables in the restaurant. Absolutely disgusting! This is not the first time that I have this kind of experience in London hotels and only in London this has ever happened to me. I wonder how they can allow places like these to stay in business. Are there even in London any minimum hygiene standard to be met?

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Unemigrato
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

we booked this hotel hopping for easy access to Natural History Museum, to our disappointment it was far and away not only from museum but everything and anything, overpriced, squeezed in third bed, so in order to get to bed we would have to climb it like in kindergarten, beds are old not very comfortable, not very clean, no air-conditioning in rooms, Wi-Fi only if you pay for it
terrible neighborhood, hotel from a different era ,long time gone, kind of unpleasant experience for family type traveling
very average breakfast, neeeeever again.........front desk not so pleasant, specially blonde lady with red lipstick?????

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family