“London August 2012”

Ranked #166 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Miami, Florida
“London August 2012”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at Point West August 2012. What a phenomenal place! Our apartment was clean and perfect! Very large family/dining room and two large bedrooms. It was centrally located to all that we needed and very close to the Gloucester Road station. The reception desk personnel were very friendly and extremely helpful! We will definitely be staying here on our next visit to London!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank martmich3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
on the move
Reviewed 21 July 2012

After staying a number of days in the grange tower bridge & then touring in southern england, we moved into the Point West apartments by Crown Lawn in kensington so we would have space for out daughter to stay with us.

It was a great to able to prepare our own meals in a very well equipped kitchen & use a very nice dining room.

The location is fantastic, right between Waitrose & sainsbury supermarkets, also very good restaurants & take aways surrounding the building. We had a fantastic indian takeaway from The Delhi brasserie just in front of the building (highly recommend). This is a very nice looking indian restaurant which I thought would not do takeaways, but they did, with a 15% discount off dine-in prices.

There is also italian & thai restaurants right outside the front which we didn't have time to try but looked great.

As we had a car (a volvo estate - quite large) we used the secure parking which was a bit of a challenge but the crown lawn representative gave us a lot of help in accessing it. To be quite honest parking in london is very difficult and being able to bring the car in central london & park right under the apartment was fantastic. We arrived in london after 6pm when the congestion tax cuts out, so not charged.

Another positive about the apartment was the very high quality bed linen, as good as any five star hotel's.

I'd like to comment on some of the issues raised by previous reviewers. These apartments are not perfect like a five star hotel. We stay in many 4 & 5* hotels & they are a different experience & cost a lot more, especially in london. The apartments give you something else - your own space & opportunity to self cater, which to us is an outstanding benefit. The service is not the same as a 4 or 5* hotel & is reflected in the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank digger2
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed 14 July 2012

To start off with, I have noted that Ms Angela Walker from Crown Lawn has commented on a number of TripAdvisor reviews, stating that readers should note that not all apartments in Point West are managed by Crown Lawn. The apartment I rented is definitely managed by Crown Lawn and I dealt with Ms Walker herself both telephonically and via e-mail during the booking process. She was, in fact, very helpful and responsive to the queries I had during the booking process – pity I couldn’t get hold of her after my arrival.

I stayed in Point West Nr 356 (2 bedroom apartment) for 5 nights, beginning of Jan 2012. Let’s start with the positives:

1. Very convenient location within a couple of minutes’ walk from Gloucester Rd tube station. Three tube lines cross here, including the line to Heathrow, the line to Wimbledon and the line to Westminster.

2. Short, easy bus ride to Harrods and the Kensington shopping district and Museums

3. Sainsbury’s directly below the apartment block, which makes it very easy and cheap to prepare your own food in the apartment

4. I have noted that some reviewers have commented on noise from the rail tracks and I therefore requested an apartment as high as possible, away from the noise. The apartment allocated to me was not high up, but it was on the supermarket side of the building and I had absolutely no problems with noise.

5. My flight from Heathrow departed in the evening on the day of my departure. I requested a late check-out, and Crown Lawn was very accommodating in allowing me to stay to 17h00 on the day of my departure without any additional payment.

The problems:

1. I timed my Eurostar tickets to ensure I arrive after the official check-in time, yet when I arrived at Point West the lady at reception have not yet received my keys and the representative of Crown Lawn (who was supposed to be in the building) was nowhere to be found and not answering his phone. He eventually arrived at reception 45 minutes later.

2. When booking I pointed out that my mom has minor mobility issues and I was expecting to be allocated a single level apartment. The unit allocated to me was, however, one of the duplex units with the steep stairs.

3. It was appear impossible to switch off the heating in the bottom bedroom. We managed to switch of all the other heaters, so it wasn’t a case of not being able to work the equipment.

4. The oven thermostat was faulty. It was possible to switch on the oven, but it was impossible to tell at which temperature it was baking. The oven had furthermore not been cleaned in a long time.

5. The tap in the kitchen was faulty. This was the only matter of which maintenance was aware.

6. The basin in the top bathroom was without a plug.

7. Although the bed sheets were clean, the night frill / base wrap on the bed in the bottom bedroom was very dirty and created a very bad impression upon entering the bedroom.

8. On the morning of day 3 we awoke to find we had no hot water. Somehow the hot water cylinder was switched off. It was at this point that the maintenance man dealing with the problems asked me if I knew the British comedy series Fawlty Towers. You have to love the British sense of humour.

9. You have to pay upfront when you book through Crown Lawn, plus they take a security deposit at the time of booking, which is supposed to be refunded to you within a week after departure. I had to ask for the deposit to be refunded and it was only returned at the end of February 2012 (just about two months after my stay).

Through all of this I never saw anybody from Crown Lawn, they didn’t reply to my e-mails while I was in London and they never called me, even though I asked them to. They clearly got the e-mails, because the maintenance guy was in and out of the apartment all the time dealing with these issues.

To conclude: Point West is very conveniently located, but beware when booking through Crown Lawn

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Bolander_001
, Public Relations Manager at Point West Apartments by Crown Lawn, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review at apartments at Point West. We are pleased to hear that you had a number of positive aspects of your stay, including the location of the apartment, ease of shopping and the late checkout of 5pm instead of 10am. I understand that it was New Years Day when you checked into the apartment, and at this time of the year we do run a skeleton staff rota. The delay in having a representative from Crown Lawn to see you on New Year’s Day we feel was within an acceptable time. Ms Angela Walker who you dealt with in the lead up to your booking was on holiday at the time of your check in therefore she was unable to personally deal with your issues. I can only apologise for the issues you faced in your apartment but I do note that our maintenance team were onsite fixing the various issues throughout your stay. In regards to your request for a single level apartment, I have checked this on our system and note that you did not request one in advance. I understand that you spoke to our staff onsite and one was offered to you on the following day however you declined this request. I would ask if you stay with us again that you state at the time of booking you would like a single level apartment as 50% of our portfolio is Duplex apartments. I am extremely sorry for the delay in receiving your deposit back, we do aim to send these back within 14 days of departure.

Yours Sincerely,

James Cameron
Marketing

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Boulder, CO
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We've been there for 10 days, a family with 2 young children.
We found the apartment through http://www.shortstay-london.com (John has been very helpful in assisting our choice), then for the reservation and payments we dealt directly with Crown Lawn Apartments. The price was (among?) the lowest for accommodations in that area, and admittedly very low.

The location is great - close to the Underground station and to bus stops, at walking distance from several museums (Natural History and Science museums, Victoria and Albert), parks (Kensington Gardens), and restaurants. Note that the closest Underground station (Gloucester Rd) is not stroller-accessible, but almost: there's a staircase (about a story) to go from the station to the train on the District line, and an elevator to the Piccadilly line (not right to the train: with a short staircase left at the end). Another Underground station (Earl's Court) is slightly more distant from the apartment, but 100% accessible even for wheelchairs.
There is a grocery store right next door to the building, with extended operation hours, that we found very useful, and some smaller ones in the neighbourhood.

The receptionists have been very friendly. The cleaning ladies came at our arrival to bring in a crib and a foldaway bed for our children, and as agreed after 1 week for the cleaning and to change bed linens/towels.

The apartment's windows looked on the internal court of the building - not quite a view ;) but extremely quiet. The furniture was nice and looked new-ish, though not the best for children (lots of glass!). We just moved the glass table on the side of the room, and some centerpieces in the other room, so that they could play safely and without damaging anything.
The bathroom had a little bit of mold in a corner of the bathtub, but apart from that was large and clean. The kitchen was well equipped, with a washing machine and a washer (no dryer!). The Wi-Fi connection worked great.

The apartment was all carpeted, and the carpet was not exactly new or very clean - I know some of the apartments have hardwood floors, so if that is a deal-breaker for you, ask for that! To me, anyway, more important that the carpet was that we couldn't hear noises from the street and the trains, and I'm very happy they accommodated this request we made.

Would I go back? Yes, for the relatively central position, the convenience of being in an apartment (rather than a hotel, with children we find it easier this way), and to have stores and a variety of restaurants nearby.

The negative note, now: it took them FOREVER to refund our safety deposit. The contract reads it will be refunded within 14 days from the departure, while it took them more than 2 months, and without giving me the slightest reason for that. In fact, many of my emails went completely ignored, until in the end the third person to which the problem was passed, finally gave me attention and help. Then I had problems with my bank accepting the wire, but that would be another story.
So, if I really had to stay here again, I would make sure to pay my deposit cash at arrival (rather than in advance), and to meet someone at departure to have my deposit back immediately.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank anna c
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at Point West. The set-up was just what we were looking for, something with space to relax and our own kitchen, the apartments are very comfortable and the space you get compared to a standard hotel room is incredible! Our apartment was newly refurbished and clean, everything was provided even down to tablets for the washing/dryer so we could do a mid trip wash which was a real bonus. All the details were thought of, there was a real attention to detail that made you feel like the company had tried really hard to think of everything you might need. Highly recommend this accommodation for anyone looking for an apartment experience during their stay, granted you don't have the same access to staff as in a hotel but there is so many advantages to having your own space that we didn't even notice! Brilliant location within easy walking distance of the tube and just a few stops from all the sights, or you can walk to nearby Kensington. We could have easily spent longer at these apartments, you really have the sense of a home away from home and its so easy to settle in.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CB_Melbourne92
LONDON
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Our family of 5adults stayed in a 2bedroom apartment for 4 days after completing a 10 day very hectic European bus tour. Point West was just what we needed before we continued on our holiday in Barcelona. We had 2 bathrooms which was needed for 3teenagers. Point west was clean, comfortable and roomy enough. Wifi was a bonus. This hotel is central to everything. Buses and trains are basically at the door.

Access to own kutchen and laundry were also just whar was needed.

Would stay here again without a second thought.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

116 Cromwell Road
The alarm bells should have rung when we booked 8 months in advance and were asked for full payment up front for a two week stay. We challenged this and settled for half the payment in advance and the remainder a month in advance. Be Warned! This is not a hotel experience. Crown Lawn organise the letting of the apartments and their offices are elsewhere in London and were only contactable by email or phone as reception staff at Cromwell Road are not Crown Lawn staff so are unable to help with any issues. Crown Lawn staff responded politely but it seemed that is all they could do, being a remote office.
On arrival we collected keys from reception went into and straight back out of the apartment as it was dark and dismal with windows facing brick walls, dirty and stained entry carpet and sections of black grouting in the bath/shower. At reception we were directed to the maintenance manager on site whose immediate response was “No, that is where you have been allocated so there is nothing I can do”. When challenged, he rang Crown Lawn and another two apartments mysteriously became available. One faced onto a shopping centre car park and train line, the other we reluctantly accepted as we were stuck having paid for two weeks up front and got on with making the best of our holiday. The following is our description of the second apartment offered and where we stayed.
Bathroom: Toilet seat broken and loose. Marks and chips on the walls. Bath was chipped in three places. Black sections in the white grouting in bath/shower.
Bedroom: Chest of drawers – two drawers out of six had broken runners so unusable. One bedside light broken. As others have said on Tripadvisor the train noise is horrific so take your earplugs and be prepared to watch TV on maximum volume to drown it out. The views from the bedroom and lounge windows were again facing brick walls, the train line or the backyard of another apartment block.
Kitchen: Ridiculously tiny even for one person. Stained and dirty walls. Clothes washer was so smelly we put two empty wash/detergent cycles through before it could be used. To open fridge/freezer door...move the pedal bin. To open dishwasher move the pedal bin back again. Open the kitchen door and you can’t get to the microwave or oven. The oven had no operating instructions and took an hour and half first night to get it working. Mismatched crockery and glassware. Three only wine glasses, two with cracks which were presented to reception for replacement as per the room directory instructions. We were there two weeks and they were not replaced. We gave up and ate out for the rest of the holiday.
Lounge: A lovely room, clean well furnished and the only thing we discovered true to the Crown Lawn website’s representation of the apartments.
We are seasoned travellers with more than 30 years of experience of all types of accommodation and this is the first time we have been so disappointed as to warn others. We booked a deluxe one bedroom apartment as represented on Crown Lawn's website and were presented with a choice of shoddily maintained, ill equipped apartments.

Room Tip: Don't pay up front. View the room before committing yourself. Get as high up as possible to mini...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RonPerth_Australia
, Public Relations Manager at Point West Apartments by Crown Lawn, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
First of all may I apologise on behalf of Crown Lawn for not living up to our standards in the apartment, the areas you highlighted in particular to the kitchen and bathroom will be rectified immediately. I agree that these issues should have been addressed during your stay and we are always trying to improve the speed and efficiency of our service. You are right about payment being taken in advance, we are not a hotel and do not have any check in facilities where payment can be taken therefore all our administration must be done in advance by our office staff in Canary Wharf. The serviced apartment industry is a separate entity from the hotel industry, with its own advantages, of course this does mean that certain services are not the same as you would find in a hotel. As a company we hope that our information online and with our booking agents clearly expresses this so that guests understand, before they arrive, that you are staying in a self-maintained apartment, not a hotel complex and as such adjust their expectations, in terms of the amount of staff on-site and the way the company operates logistically.

I am glad that you were offered 2 alternative apartments upon check in. As a company we do endeavour to place people in another apartment if there is any issues with the original location, of course in our busier months we have limited in availability so we cannot always offer another option but do our best to ensure everyone is satisfied with their placement. As mentioned in many other reviews the apartment is located within walking distance of the underground station therefore a certain level of noise can be heard during the day, unfortunately this is a common problem in London for those lucky enough to be located close to the extensive network of rail stations in the city, of course this proximity and convenience does come with the unwanted noise but to avoid this one would have to stay a great distance from a station creating an inconvenience in another way.