“Shop till you drop” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #179 of 828 Speciality Lodging in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Shop till you drop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Location is a big selling point of this apartment. It's a 20-30 minute walk from some of the best shopping streets in London - High St Kensington, Knightsbridge, Sloane Square, Kings Rd etc. If culture is your preference, the South Kensington museums are just down the road, or you can walk to Kensington Palace, Hyde Park and the Royal Albert Hall.

The apartments themselves are well laid out and comfortable. The bedrooms are small, but the living/dining area is a good size, and we had wonderful views over the London skyline from a 7th floor east facing apartment.

The kitchen is reasonably well equipped (although bizarrely no cereal bowls!) and there are two good supermarkets close by (Waitrose and Sainsbury's)

There is some noise from the underground lines which run past on two sides, although I only noticed it if the windows were open.

I've marked it down only for some minor lack of attention to detail - only one tea towel and only two bathroom towels. No coat hooks and a shortage of coat hangers was a bit of a pain.

I'd definitely stay there again, it's a great area of London to explore.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better for views and quiet. East facing for the London skyline
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IDSBristol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We just came back from here and i have to say this is one heck of of an apartment.our apartment was spotless, with a huge living room . the 2 bathrooms were very clean. having read a lot of the previous reviews i was worried about the noise from the underground , and cleanliness of the flat in general. i must say we didnt experience anything like this. the kitchen was very well equipped. it . we are extremely satisfied and we are looking forward to0 staying here again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stayed in a two bedroom apartment for two weeks. When I first came the carpet was really dirty, the clothes washer did not work, the walls were all scuffed up (can't they afford a can of paint). the tubs in both bathrooms were gross and had paint peeling off, and black spots all over them. The concierge was not knowledgeable of the area and all of our questions where answered the same I don't know. Then we come to how many elevators and corridors you half to walk in order to get to the smelly apartment, and i mean really FAR. Management of crown lawn is rude and would not listen to costumers. I believe put your money in a better place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Yara a

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at Point West August 2012. What a phenomenal place! Our apartment was clean and perfect! Very large family/dining room and two large bedrooms. It was centrally located to all that we needed and very close to the Gloucester Road station. The reception desk personnel were very friendly and extremely helpful! We will definitely be staying here on our next visit to London!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank martmich3
on the move
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

After staying a number of days in the grange tower bridge & then touring in southern england, we moved into the Point West apartments by Crown Lawn in kensington so we would have space for out daughter to stay with us.

It was a great to able to prepare our own meals in a very well equipped kitchen & use a very nice dining room.

The location is fantastic, right between Waitrose & sainsbury supermarkets, also very good restaurants & take aways surrounding the building. We had a fantastic indian takeaway from The Delhi brasserie just in front of the building (highly recommend). This is a very nice looking indian restaurant which I thought would not do takeaways, but they did, with a 15% discount off dine-in prices.

There is also italian & thai restaurants right outside the front which we didn't have time to try but looked great.

As we had a car (a volvo estate - quite large) we used the secure parking which was a bit of a challenge but the crown lawn representative gave us a lot of help in accessing it. To be quite honest parking in london is very difficult and being able to bring the car in central london & park right under the apartment was fantastic. We arrived in london after 6pm when the congestion tax cuts out, so not charged.

Another positive about the apartment was the very high quality bed linen, as good as any five star hotel's.

I'd like to comment on some of the issues raised by previous reviewers. These apartments are not perfect like a five star hotel. We stay in many 4 & 5* hotels & they are a different experience & cost a lot more, especially in london. The apartments give you something else - your own space & opportunity to self cater, which to us is an outstanding benefit. The service is not the same as a 4 or 5* hotel & is reflected in the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank digger2
Paarl, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

To start off with, I have noted that Ms Angela Walker from Crown Lawn has commented on a number of TripAdvisor reviews, stating that readers should note that not all apartments in Point West are managed by Crown Lawn. The apartment I rented is definitely managed by Crown Lawn and I dealt with Ms Walker herself both telephonically and via e-mail during the booking process. She was, in fact, very helpful and responsive to the queries I had during the booking process – pity I couldn’t get hold of her after my arrival.

I stayed in Point West Nr 356 (2 bedroom apartment) for 5 nights, beginning of Jan 2012. Let’s start with the positives:

1. Very convenient location within a couple of minutes’ walk from Gloucester Rd tube station. Three tube lines cross here, including the line to Heathrow, the line to Wimbledon and the line to Westminster.

2. Short, easy bus ride to Harrods and the Kensington shopping district and Museums

3. Sainsbury’s directly below the apartment block, which makes it very easy and cheap to prepare your own food in the apartment

4. I have noted that some reviewers have commented on noise from the rail tracks and I therefore requested an apartment as high as possible, away from the noise. The apartment allocated to me was not high up, but it was on the supermarket side of the building and I had absolutely no problems with noise.

5. My flight from Heathrow departed in the evening on the day of my departure. I requested a late check-out, and Crown Lawn was very accommodating in allowing me to stay to 17h00 on the day of my departure without any additional payment.

The problems:

1. I timed my Eurostar tickets to ensure I arrive after the official check-in time, yet when I arrived at Point West the lady at reception have not yet received my keys and the representative of Crown Lawn (who was supposed to be in the building) was nowhere to be found and not answering his phone. He eventually arrived at reception 45 minutes later.

2. When booking I pointed out that my mom has minor mobility issues and I was expecting to be allocated a single level apartment. The unit allocated to me was, however, one of the duplex units with the steep stairs.

3. It was appear impossible to switch off the heating in the bottom bedroom. We managed to switch of all the other heaters, so it wasn’t a case of not being able to work the equipment.

4. The oven thermostat was faulty. It was possible to switch on the oven, but it was impossible to tell at which temperature it was baking. The oven had furthermore not been cleaned in a long time.

5. The tap in the kitchen was faulty. This was the only matter of which maintenance was aware.

6. The basin in the top bathroom was without a plug.

7. Although the bed sheets were clean, the night frill / base wrap on the bed in the bottom bedroom was very dirty and created a very bad impression upon entering the bedroom.

8. On the morning of day 3 we awoke to find we had no hot water. Somehow the hot water cylinder was switched off. It was at this point that the maintenance man dealing with the problems asked me if I knew the British comedy series Fawlty Towers. You have to love the British sense of humour.

9. You have to pay upfront when you book through Crown Lawn, plus they take a security deposit at the time of booking, which is supposed to be refunded to you within a week after departure. I had to ask for the deposit to be refunded and it was only returned at the end of February 2012 (just about two months after my stay).

Through all of this I never saw anybody from Crown Lawn, they didn’t reply to my e-mails while I was in London and they never called me, even though I asked them to. They clearly got the e-mails, because the maintenance guy was in and out of the apartment all the time dealing with these issues.

To conclude: Point West is very conveniently located, but beware when booking through Crown Lawn

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Bolander_001
, Public Relations Manager at Point West Apartments by Crown Lawn, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review at apartments at Point West. We are pleased to hear that you had a number of positive aspects of your stay, including the location of the apartment, ease of shopping and the late checkout of 5pm instead of 10am. I understand that it was New Years Day when you checked into the apartment, and at this time of the year we do run a skeleton staff rota. The delay in having a representative from Crown Lawn to see you on New Year’s Day we feel was within an acceptable time. Ms Angela Walker who you dealt with in the lead up to your booking was on holiday at the time of your check in therefore she was unable to personally deal with your issues. I can only apologise for the issues you faced in your apartment but I do note that our maintenance team were onsite fixing the various issues throughout your stay. In regards to your request for a single level apartment, I have checked this on our system and note that you did not request one in advance. I understand that you spoke to our staff onsite and one was offered to you on the following day however you declined this request. I would ask if you stay with us again that you state at the time of booking you would like a single level apartment as 50% of our portfolio is Duplex apartments. I am extremely sorry for the delay in receiving your deposit back, we do aim to send these back within 14 days of departure.

Yours Sincerely,

James Cameron
Marketing
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We've been there for 10 days, a family with 2 young children.
We found the apartment through http://www.shortstay-london.com (John has been very helpful in assisting our choice), then for the reservation and payments we dealt directly with Crown Lawn Apartments. The price was (among?) the lowest for accommodations in that area, and admittedly very low.

The location is great - close to the Underground station and to bus stops, at walking distance from several museums (Natural History and Science museums, Victoria and Albert), parks (Kensington Gardens), and restaurants. Note that the closest Underground station (Gloucester Rd) is not stroller-accessible, but almost: there's a staircase (about a story) to go from the station to the train on the District line, and an elevator to the Piccadilly line (not right to the train: with a short staircase left at the end). Another Underground station (Earl's Court) is slightly more distant from the apartment, but 100% accessible even for wheelchairs.
There is a grocery store right next door to the building, with extended operation hours, that we found very useful, and some smaller ones in the neighbourhood.

The receptionists have been very friendly. The cleaning ladies came at our arrival to bring in a crib and a foldaway bed for our children, and as agreed after 1 week for the cleaning and to change bed linens/towels.

The apartment's windows looked on the internal court of the building - not quite a view ;) but extremely quiet. The furniture was nice and looked new-ish, though not the best for children (lots of glass!). We just moved the glass table on the side of the room, and some centerpieces in the other room, so that they could play safely and without damaging anything.
The bathroom had a little bit of mold in a corner of the bathtub, but apart from that was large and clean. The kitchen was well equipped, with a washing machine and a washer (no dryer!). The Wi-Fi connection worked great.

The apartment was all carpeted, and the carpet was not exactly new or very clean - I know some of the apartments have hardwood floors, so if that is a deal-breaker for you, ask for that! To me, anyway, more important that the carpet was that we couldn't hear noises from the street and the trains, and I'm very happy they accommodated this request we made.

Would I go back? Yes, for the relatively central position, the convenience of being in an apartment (rather than a hotel, with children we find it easier this way), and to have stores and a variety of restaurants nearby.

The negative note, now: it took them FOREVER to refund our safety deposit. The contract reads it will be refunded within 14 days from the departure, while it took them more than 2 months, and without giving me the slightest reason for that. In fact, many of my emails went completely ignored, until in the end the third person to which the problem was passed, finally gave me attention and help. Then I had problems with my bank accepting the wire, but that would be another story.
So, if I really had to stay here again, I would make sure to pay my deposit cash at arrival (rather than in advance), and to meet someone at departure to have my deposit back immediately.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family