“BYO Toilet Paper”

Point West Apartments by Crown Lawn
Ranked #204 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 4 January 2013

This apartment is in a great location. Really less than 5 minutes from the tube (even though the District and Circles lines were down when we visited), but it is a straight shot from Heathrow on the Picadilly line. Great food nearby and a quick walk to the History Museum or V & A.

Since the staff at the apartment don't work for the people you rent from it can be quite frustrating. We arrived early (as per our email) hoping to check in early. It wasn't possible and we returned at 1:50 (for 2:00 check in). We still had to wait until 2:15 to get the keys. The room was mostly clean, but there was hair on the floor and a plastic bag on the counter. We couldn't call the rental company since you had to sign up for a pay-as-you-go to call them. In the kitchen there was no coffee pot, only an electric kettle so we had to settle for instant all week. Also, we were given 2 towels and 1 roll of toilet paper for an entire week. This is not my definition of a serviced apartment. When we did call to complain they were quick to offer solutions. I appreciated the hard work of Angela to help us, but the timeline was off. I really wanted to like this apartment, but it was just disappointing.

Great location, but bring your own toilet paper.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OverseasIowan

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We traveled as a family of 5 to London in December 2012 and booked a 2-bedroom apartment for 10 days from 13 to 23 December. While searching for accommodation, a niece recommended us Point West as she had stayed there before. There was also an offer of 10% discount which made it even more attractive.

The location is excellent with Gloucester Road tube station nearby and a Sainsbury supermarket just behind. There is also Waitrose supermarket at the train station. Various museums are also a short walk down the road. Free wifi in the apartment was a real boon for us as we needed to also connect other comms devices like smartphones and iPADs. Security for the apartment is also good with electronic access for guests.

Having stayed at various London hotels before, I must say that Point West is value for money. The apartment is spacious enough for the family. If we had taken the hotel option, we would have had to book two rooms (the floor area of London hotel rooms is incredibly small for the price) and incur more cost. The apartment was clean, reasonably done up and there was a kitchen equipped with washing machine/dryer, dish washer, oven, microwave and fridge. We have no complaints with the housekeeping service which was once a week. Sheets were clean and towels were changed. All the heaters work and that is important in winter. We were fearful of the noise from the train but it was not as bad as we feared. Our apartment 223 faced the car park of Sainsbury supermarket.

The service provided by Crown Lawn was excellent. Over at the office, response was prompt especially from Meabh De Burca who dealt with my booking and tried her best to accommodate to all my requests. Onsite, the manager Philippe was excellent. He responded immediately to my calls. For instance, when I informed him that there was no iron, he went out to buy one straightaway. He also came to the apartment immediately when I informed him that the oven was not working and he got it fixed within the same day. Philippe also hand delivered a package when it arrived as he was aware that I might miss it as we would checking out the next morning. That is some service! Kudos also to the reception desk at the apartment. Although the staff are not employed by Crown Lawn, they are also helpful.

There are a few areas that Point West could improve upon. The markings on the oven dials are worn out so we had no idea where to click for the desired temperature. Perhaps stickers could be placed over the worn out markings. Although we stayed for 10 days, Crown Lawn still wanted to charge us for late check-out despite the fact that we eventually asked for only an hour as we had time to kill before our flight. This was disappointing as we believe that there were no guests after us. Otherwise, late check-out could not even be possible even by an hour.

Finally, I wish to point out that this is a service apartment and not a hotel. There are pluses and minuses for each. Overall, Point West is still excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Request a room where train noise is minimized.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank linnman
Reviewed 2 December 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at Point West and it ended after one, very disturbed, night of 3. There were a number of irritants (see below) which we would have put up with but to be put in an apartment overlooking an extremely busy tube line (finished at 01.45, started again at 04.30) with no warning is bang out of order. We have previously been in quiet apartments in Point West but this was anything but and we ended up checking out after just 1 night - I am a very heavy sleeper but having a train going past every few minutes is not condusive to a restful stay.

"Irritants"

1. No plug in bathroom sink - thats just shabby
2. Cooker - oven so old you cant read the dials to see setting, ok you may work on the principle that most people will eat out but dont hold out a full kitchen facility if the facilities are so antiquated they cant be used
3. Ditto DVD player - so old just jumped all the time
4. Kettle workd only sporadically
5. Sofas tired

Just a few quid would make these irritants go away.

If you do consider staying here make sure you dont get apartment 218.

Room Tip: If you do go here insist on overlooking Sainsburys as thats quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Let me start by saying that the pictures provided by Crown Lawn are a gross misrepresentation of what the property actually looks like. We rented an apartment from them for one night on 16th October 2012.
Upon arriving we were advised by Reception that we couldn't check in until 2 pm. This wasn't an issue however they also advised that they couldn't ensure security for our baggage for the 4 hrs we had to wait.

Upon accessing the 2 bedroom apartment we discovered that it was nothing like the images projected by Crown Lawn and that we had a significant amount of mould in the bathroom and the general appearance was tired and unclean ( dirty carpets, dust, etc)
As my wife has reactions to mould we advised Crown Lawn and they promptly sent the maintenance manager to address the problem. He proceeded to argue the point with my wife and blame the Silicon in the bathroom for the mould build up!
After giving him a few home truths his cleaner then managed to remove 80% of the mould with some elbow grease.
I strongly recommend you consider other options for your apartment rental in London.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swervin50
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom apartments for 6 nights. We were traveling with our 2 young children. The location was very central and was very close to the tube, Kensington Gardens and supermarkets. You are also within walking distance of the Natural History Museum. Nothing was far away at all. The apartment had a well stocked kitchen which meant that you were able to cook dinners easily, which is handy when you have young children. It had an oven, microwave, dishwasher and cooktop. There was also a combination washer/dryer. The living areas and bedrooms were all a good size and the beds were all comfortable. The apartment was very clean and well maintained. We were on the 9th floor and had great views to the London Eye. You can hear the underground, but only as a dull background noise - it is not an issue at all. I would recommend this apartment to families, and I would quite happily stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank PF1972
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I am so upset and disappointed right now. I have read many reviews but finally I have made a decision choosing point west, crownlawn, which is a mistake. I have requested hardwood floor because I am allergic to carpet dust, clean room clean bathroom, no walking in maze in order to get to room. However I have got one old bedroom with old carpeted, the bathroom is also old, you have to pull the string to turn on the light, mould on the wall and some on the floor, the dust is cover on the edge of the carpet, chairs and sofa in the living room are so old too. I am so sad indeed because I do hope to have a good memorable time at point west with my husband and daughter. I wonder why all the photo you have shown on Facebook is very nice compare to what I am staying right now. However I have made a call to crownlawn'staff, he promised to send someone to see me at the first thing in the morning, therefore I do hope some good thing may happen.

Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Chillada N
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Location is a big selling point of this apartment. It's a 20-30 minute walk from some of the best shopping streets in London - High St Kensington, Knightsbridge, Sloane Square, Kings Rd etc. If culture is your preference, the South Kensington museums are just down the road, or you can walk to Kensington Palace, Hyde Park and the Royal Albert Hall.

The apartments themselves are well laid out and comfortable. The bedrooms are small, but the living/dining area is a good size, and we had wonderful views over the London skyline from a 7th floor east facing apartment.

The kitchen is reasonably well equipped (although bizarrely no cereal bowls!) and there are two good supermarkets close by (Waitrose and Sainsbury's)

There is some noise from the underground lines which run past on two sides, although I only noticed it if the windows were open.

I've marked it down only for some minor lack of attention to detail - only one tea towel and only two bathroom towels. No coat hooks and a shortage of coat hangers was a bit of a pain.

I'd definitely stay there again, it's a great area of London to explore.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better for views and quiet. East facing for the London skyline
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family