“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,046 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Marrickville, Australia
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

Absolutely awful. Dirty and hopelessly maintained. Suggest you never stay here even if it is the last room in London.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Brianoc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gallup, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

We were absolutely scammed at this hotel. We were charged for a room with a bathroom (which had the toilet taped shut and no shower). My friend got sick one night and vomited. Since the there was no where else to go, she threw-up outside the window. While we were out the next day, the manager went into the room and confiscated our belongings, including our passports. He refused to return them to us until we paid 100 pounds for the damage, which was a few specks on the side of the wall that could easily be taken off with a hose. When I tried to politely negotiate he became very aggressive and a few male guests had to come to our aid. Absolutely do not stay here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — being scammed out of money
  • Stayed August 2004, travelled with friends
6 Thank eightMT
regencycourt, Owner at Regency Court Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
These 'guests' booked a cheap basic room (without ensuite facilities) however the room did have a fully-functional wash basin. They were sick out the window (vomitted cherries) down the front of the building one night and neither did they report this to hotel staff or did they make any effort to clean it up. On being approached, they became agitated & claimed no responsibility. The hotel therefore had no option but to bill their card the cost of cleaning off the mess with a high-pressure jet wash hose. Upon checking-out, these same people smashed a full-length glass shower screen in their bathroom causing even more damage, leaving small shards of broken glass littered all over the bathroom floor; a severe hazard for cleaning staff to have to deal with. Again their card was billed for the damage. At no stage was anything ever taken from the room; the room was only ever accessed by cleaning staff, whom alerted us to the damage both times.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2007

Never in all my years have I experienced a stay like this one. The entire building should be condemned. There was basic filth EVERYWHERE. People were smoking cigs all over the hotel - elevator, stairs, hallway, hotel foyer. Everything smelt like smoke. The staff is basically worthless. Then just for laughes they are rude. Entering the room almost made me cry. The carpet, walls, floor, bed - everything was old , dirty and pretty much disgusting. The bathroom is shared and in the hallway. After my first night of sleep, on the rock they said was a mattress, I went to shower off the animals that had probably cuddled with me the night before and almost stepped into a large pile of vomit on the floor. All and all It was the most pitiful excuse for a 'hotel' I have been unfortunate enough to stay in. It attempted to ruin my stay in England. Next time - I would rather spend my money and sleep on the street as it is probably cleaner and more comfortable.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
4 Thank AP24
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2007

A horrendous experience. It was not too expensive but at £40 you are entitled to expect decent standards. My room was dirty, the tv did not work. The bed was dirty and freezing cold. The communal bathroom looked disgusting so i didn't dare to use it. I got out as quickly as i could in the morning. There is no way that this establishment deserves the title 'hotel'. Even 'hostal' would be too generous. I would use the word 'dump.'

• Liked — I liked it best when i was leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank johnhillen
holland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2007

No friendly service...and one woman seemed to be too shy. The carpet was too old and too dirty. There was a cupboard in my tiny, tiny room but it was too old, too broken and too dirty, with a drawer full of stuff which didn't belong to me! There was a tv...but no remote control. So I asked for one...and got the wrong one...and a laaaarge speech before I got the right one...There were curtains...but is was impossible to close them at night. I was freezing at night...in november and just 1 sheet! Also couldn't sleep because of the thin walls.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank londonUKfan
brum
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

So we turn up at the hotel greeted by a very rude old lady who has no communication skills what so ever. She does not welcome us but demands money as soon as we get in, then sends me to my room, no directions given just 'up the stairs'. The room is the smallest room i have ever seen with noisey radiators, dirty carpets and the most awful decor i have seen in my life, i know i didnt pay for the ritz but please. We then go out each night, as this is why we are in London, only to be faced with the difficulty of getting back in after 12 midnight (aparently there is a curfew and you must be in by 12 as there is noone on the desk). You are then greeted by the same old woman who argues with you right up until you get into your room. The morning she offers no apology and again speaks to me as rudely as i have ever been spoken to, so i get my bags and leave. If you can tolerate rudeness, dirtyness and going to london and getting in by 12 then this is the place to stay. If u like to have a little fun and enjoy london after dark, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Liked — Leaving!!!!!
  • Disliked — Everything especially the staff
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank lynseyr83
montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2007

I've stayed at some budget hotels in my time but nothing as disgusting as this place. Tiny tiny room which still cost 40 pounds a night, filthy carpets covered with patches of other filthy carpets and smelly *bloodstained* covers on the bed.
The creepy guy at the front desk took some kind of liking to me because he showed up at my door 5 times in one night with offers to chat or eat expired pudding cups he had bought me from the fridge. The last time he knocked on my door it was almost 1 am and I was so paranoid staying even one night that I piled all my luggage in front of the door so that no one could get in.
Do not go here! There are tons of other hotels on the same street that actually cost less and are WAY better.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — filthy
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo