“Swinton - the bottom of the hotel services”
Review of Swinton Hotel

Swinton Hotel
Ranked #915 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Based on my one night experience in this hotel, I think I can clearly mark my bottom line of hotel services (in Europe). The group of 8 of us had booked 6 rooms in this hotel for one night. First sign that something is wrong is when they declare payment to be done in full amount before you enter the room. And when you enter the room you find:

Room size: 4 m2
Toilet: 1,5 m2 - no hot water!
floor of the room: tilted by 4 degrees

Beside two young persons from Romania, who were very nice and friendly (boy at the reception, girl - in the kitchen), the old fart at the reception in the morning was clearly ready to demonstrate that you can end up fighting early in the morning for no reason.
It is shame for all hotel industry and I really don't know how they got the license to operate as hotel

P.S. Under no, NO REASON, do not book "4 star taxi service" offered by the hotel. The two crook drivers (we ordered two taxis) will make all their best to steal your money.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MKDMilan

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We booked 3 rooms on the lateroom.com website for this hotel for business purposes.
On arrival one of my guest checked in to his room, only to find that the room was deffinately not as advertised on the website - there was a strong smell of sewage/toilet in the room, on checking around the room the carpets were all worn and marked, the hall way and other rooms were also in the same state! the other 2 guests arrived and didn't even get past reception as the appearance of this hotel is nothing like the pictures advertised. All 3 guests went and stayed at the Travelodge for less money. One of my guests was told by the gentlemen behind the reception desk what do you expect for £79.00 it's only a 2 star, it's overpriced mate!!! OMG...
The staff at this hotel are the most unpleasant and unhelpful...They do not like you to complain, they will not deal with your complaint... IF I was you .... Stay somewhere else...

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter" •"Corner suites are large and sunny" •"...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Louise H
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Hi Folks
I have just been to this hotel for sevent nights. I was kind of unsure what I would expect after reading reviews by other people. But I must say that the Hotel was quite decent. Rooms are a bit small but clean. New towels everyday. The hotel is really about five minutes walk (or less) to King's cross station but when you leave the hotel you should turn left then left and keep on walking. If you turn right when you leave the hotel, then it will take more time to reach King's cross. There are a lot of different restaurants nearby where you can eat at a decent price. People at the reception (I've met 6 of them), most of them have been very very nice unlike what people said about them. If I go back to London, then this hotel will be in my list of hotels to go to. Finally, if you turn right when leaving the hotel then you find a htel called "T**e": It is about £75 a night and some of the rooms (believe or not) arejust without windows!! Mohammed Hichem Mortad.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had to book a hotel in quite short notice, and this one was the only one we found that had wi-fi, was in a decent location, and breakfast that was less than £100 a night. Even Travelodge and Premier Inn were far more expensive. So, what do you get for £84 a night?

In comparison with other hotels we stayed in - not a lot. Seeing as those hotels were not in London though then you get to see how expensive staying in the capital really is. It's a 2-star hotel (if you're expecting more, then there's plenty of choice in Mayfair) which means it's a base for the night. The hotel is a based in a row of Georgian terraces (occupying about 3 knocked into one). If you're out on business, look elsewhere as the rooms are small with no desk to work on (though wi-fi is free with no restrictions, unlike Premier Inn for instance). If you have a mobility disability then this hotel is definitely not suitable as even though there's a (narrow) lift, the amount of stairs to get to it, plus the narrow corridors would make using a wheelchair impossible.

There's no frills like a pool or a bar either. There are pubs all over London for a drink. The only other extra you get is breakfast (which is toast, tea or coffee and a selection of cheese, ham and croissants or rolls and cereal).

There was a slight smell in the bathroom in our room, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. It wasn't a musky damp smell but may be something to do with the local water quality? I'll admit being from Birmingham I'm spoilt with the superb quality of our water! Another negative point is the windows - whether the hotel is constrained by planning regulations meaning they can't replace the frames (even though they are draughty) is one thing, though they could replace the cracked glass (especially the one in the breakfast room as that's easier to get to than the third floor room we were on).

The staff were friendly and tried their best to make the place feel homely. The bed was comfortable and wi-fi reliable. What more do you need from a base to sightsee? Or a quick in-and-out to see a show like what we did?

Room Tip: A rear facing room is quieter. Book direct to save money.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Awful hotel, paid highest price for a double room with ensuite - did not get this they gave us a wet room which was horrid. We asked for a refund for the difference in which they said yes, next day before we left asked for refund they said no they refused! The room was awful, plug sockets half hanging off, bedside lamp had no plug just bare wires, stagnant tap water in the complimentary bottle! Dirty, dusty unkept and rude staff. A lot of money for a horrible place. Do not go!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Reesy_1
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This is simply the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I only got about half an hours sleep due to the forced open window leading onto the main road.

The room was on a visible slant, so everything, including myself.

The bed was also incredibly uncomfortable, terrible night, I was booked for two nights but I left after get first night.

The only positive thing I have to says about this hotel is that the staff were very friendly and helpful

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I ended up staying in two budget hotels in London this trip, and this was by far the nicer of the two. It was cleaner, seemed a bit more modern, and was just generally nicer than the other one.

The location is good - it's an easy five minute walk to King's Cross/St. Pancras.

The only real negative was the street noise - the street was busy pretty much all night. I suspect a back facing room would take care of that.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family