“At least the bed was clean”
Review of Swinton Hotel

Swinton Hotel
Ranked #915 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“At least the bed was clean”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I booked a double en suite room for one night, midweek. I booked just under two weeks in advance and paid around £90.

The hotel was easy to get to (about a ten minute walk from Kings Cross Station).

My room was very basic, the bathroom tired looking, and the shower situated over the toilet. This would have been fine however, had the place been properly cleaned. The furniture was so dusty that i couldn't unpack my suit for fear of it being covered (no hangers were provided). I would have complained but it was late and I had an interview early the next morning.

Otherwise everything was fine. The bed itself was clean and comfortable, the water was hot, complimentary toiletries were provided and the free wifi worked fine (even on the third floor). I didn't stay for the free breakfast do cannot comment on that.

Aside from the filthy wardrobe, bedside table and other furniture the room was what I would expect for £90 in the middle of London... but seriously there is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness (see pictures).

I wouldn't recommend this hotel, but if it employed decent cleaners I would be writing a very different review.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Morgan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Finnish first
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Long weekend in London from Thursday 16th - Saturday 18th January 2014. My birthday weekend with a girlfriend began with an easy 5 minute walk from Kings Cross to this lovely little hotel. Our main plans for the weekend were to take afternoon tea, visit the theatre and a few of the museums and attractions. With a check in time of 1pm it was very easy for us to get into our room, leave our bags and start our trip properly. When we arrived at the hotel the man at reception apologised that they had double booked our twin room for the Friday night and would we mind staying in two single rooms right next door to each other for the two nights we were staying at no extra cost. I appreciate that for some people this would have been an inconvenience but we immediately saw the benefit - no hanging around waiting for the shower in the morning as we would each have our own en suite. We agreed and were given our keys. Although the corridors are narrow and the stairs quite steep, so not ideal for disabled access, we found our rooms to be adequate, clean and fresh with everything we needed. Breakfast the following morning was simple but for the price we paid we weren't expecting much more than tea, toast and croissants which was exactly what was on offer, unlimited, together with a small selection of cereal, fruit juice, cheese, ham and bread.The staff were friendly and accommodating, on our first morning there I asked if I could possibly use their printer to print a voucher for one of London's attractions and the man behind the desk was more than happy to help - allowing me to use his laptop and printer immediately. I know some establishments would charge extra for those kind of services so was very happy and very grateful. Our time at the hotel passed without any problems, staff were pleasant, beds comfortable, shower rooms cleaned daily, plenty of hot water. At the end of our trip the hotel were happy to look after our bags for our last day so we could go out and about without our luggage - they kept them locked away in the breakfast room once breakfast was over. We were happy to leave our bags in the room until breakfast was over at 10am when the staff would move them down to the breakfast room where they would be kept securely for the rest of the day. Alternatively we could have waited until 10am and took our bags down ourselves but we were happy to trust the staff. I realise some people reading this would not be so trusting but as we did not have anything of great value in our cases we were happy to take the risk. I would definitely definitely recommend this budget hotel. If you don't expect too much you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Road noise could be a problem for some travellers so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Booked a double room and got three single beds,the beds weren't that comfortable but ok, the shower was good, the breakfast was alright but not what I expected so went else where. For a 2 star hotel it ain't bad but I would pay the extra money and stay in better hotel.

• Stayed February 2014

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Great staff, warm welcome. Room was small and basic but spotlessly clean - bed VERY comfortable. Shower was a dream - I could have stayed in it for hours!! Very reasonably priced £49 for a night. Yes, I heard the traffic in the morning but then I was staying in central London…… no moans from me. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor in room 56 - great room. It does face the traffic so maybe a room at the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed here for one night as cheap and close to work. The location, staff and breakfast were excellent. The decor is tired but very clean. The rooms have comfortable beds, clean linen, tv with decent channels and tea & coffee with biscuits! Would stay again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try for a room at the back as the front are right in a busy london road!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ClaireF1980
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have just spent a Night in Swinton Hotel , for the price I paid for a London Hotel 2* I got what I expected a room which was basic and small, But I will say it was ok for a 1 night stay, if I was taking a family I would booked somewhere else like a travel lodge or premier inn , but for just somewhere to put your head down in central London for a night or travelling light, it was ok. I would use this hotel again, but like many people say don't expect The Ritz, The staff were friendly and the breakfast was continental, but again the staff member asked what kind of bread i would like for Toast and if I would like coffee or tea. There is no bar on site or place for a evening meal, but there is a lot of bars and eateries local.

Room Tip: if on own go for a double room pay a little extra as a single room is small,
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Catterick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I booked this hotel through an agency, namely Travel Stay, mainly because it bought the cost down, and reviews didn't seem to bad, and the pictures actually looked fair good.
Boy I was wrong on all accounts.
Firstly a "few" pro's
- The hotel is a few minutes walk from Kings Cross station.
- They supply a 24 hour desk to get in and out via a buzzer
- There are plenty of biscuits, tea, coffee, fresh bottled water available in room.

Now a fair few cons...
- Before arriving at the Swinton i rang to ask if we could check in early, before the stated 1PM as our train arrived at 9AM, so thought it would be easier if we could check in early, was told no problem at all. So we arrived at 9.20 to then find out that my name was not on the list of bookings, he kept checking I had not booked it in another name, before he admitted there was a mistake somewhere.. Luckily (or not depending how you look at it) he had one spare, so we took it. Now this is where it goes slightly downhill.
On the way to the room, through the tight narrow corridors and steep stairs was a very noticeable of cigarettes, despite the no smoking signs everywhere in the hotel. This was apparent through the duration of our stay.
When we arrived at the room, we opened the door to discover a room that wasn't the "freshest" smelling room, had a massive set of patio doors opening to a "garden" and access to other parts of the building it would seem. Luckily there was a blind to cover it, though id hate to think how cold the room is during a cold period. Guess thats why the radiator is set to full wack to compensate for it.
The room its self was very very small, barely enough room to fit a double bed. The TV was situated so you had to move it out the way evey time you needed to navigate the room, the spare socked behind the TV was burned out and all corroded away
There were no bedside lamps other than the one 4 foot from the bed in the only other two sockets in the room, the other being the kettle, so pointless really when you have to get out of bed to turn off a lamp, on a table that has the kettle and all other complimentary items on it.
The Bathroom is a all in one room of the toiler shower and sink area.
The shower worked fine, but didn't sit well in the shower holder so had a tendancy to slip out and you had to be quick to stop it from falling.
The sink was barely attached to the wall and was slightly wonky.
Downside to the all in one, if one has a shower and next needs the loo, floor is very wet and this can cause issues.
The towels were horrible, barely the size of a large tea towel and very hard and well worn away round the edges. at the least they were freshly washed.
Carpet well aged with bits slapped together to make up for bits where they had " replaced it ?"
Didnt even try the complimentary breakfast we were offered free from TS, decided to eat elsewhere, so that i cannot comment on.
I won't use this hotel again, and I certainly will not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: A good tip is to avoid this hotel at all costs,
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple