“One of the worst hotels ever!!!! Do not go there!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Swinton Hotel

Swinton Hotel
Ranked #935 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Romania
“One of the worst hotels ever!!!! Do not go there!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This has been my worst hotel experience ever for many many reasons. The room was extra small (even for a single), there were dirt stains on the carpet, the window would not close completely and it was right above the bed so there was a nice cold draft coming every night. The matress had a weird feel but I guess the sheets were clean. The tv screen was very small and it would often loose the signal. There were some drawers but I didn't dare to put my clothes in as they seemed not to have been cleaned in a long time. And now the bathroom: apparentely, in order for the shower to work you have to turn on the knob and then WAIT FOR 10 MINUTES FOR THE WATER TO COME! I have never seen or heard of a more stupid thing in my life! One of the towels was torn and there was no place to hang them. The sink was extra small as well.
The brakfast was acceptable but then again I am happy with only tea, toast and butter.
The only positive thing I have to say about it it's its location next to King's Cross
I would definetly NOT recommend this hotel, only if you really really have no other choise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Monica F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Finnish first
Valby, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I paid 641 for three rooms and three nights, but it was NOT worth a penny! We had room 26, 28 and 31 on the 1st floor. The hotel was SO dirty and so were the rooms. In room 26, which is a single room, my mom slept in sheets with old lipstick and mascara. There were stains on the carpet almost everywhere. The lift was also very dirty, AND very small. The wallpaper was cracked. They should call it a hostel instead of a hotel. Next time I'll pay a bit more to get a better hotel.

Terrible experience. Do NOT spend your money here. I'd rather sleep in the tube stations!!

Room Tip: DON'T stay here!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

firstly I was informed it was only 5 minutes from Russell square (big fat lie) in the centre of kings cross, If you value your life stay away. as soon as the man behind the desk informed us our room was in the basement I knew it was going from bad to worse it was a box room with a bed shoved in. you could have all the 3 S'S at once in the 'wet room' we called it, I kept telling myself it was just a safe place for the night, I was wrong as I was awoken by gunshots from a close neighbourhood. in the morning we went into another box room for breakfast if that's what we want to call it, there was only toast with 2 selections of cereal and rock hard croissants with ham and cheese that had been left out for hours. we then wanted to check out at 9:50 and asked if we could leave our case they said not until after 10 so we waiting around, it was 10:15 before we could leave the luggage, overall it was ridiculous pay a little extra for comfort and safety!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank natalielouise94
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I paid £240 for 4 nights in this hotel as I was needing somewhere for business purpose.

It has free wi-fi yes, however the signal is often lost or very very slow after 6pm.

I was in room 28 which is on the 1st floor.

The lift is dirty and stunk of smoke, as did the hallways.
My room was terrible, the outside sash window kept falling open during the night and the previous guest has wedged a spoon in it. I complained and they said they'd fixed the window but hadn't so I had to go buy sleeping tablets and earplugs to get a nights sleep.

I was eventually moved to another room (45, 2nd floor) for the final night, and this was on the "garden" side. this was much quieter, however the bed is a tiny foam matress and the walls were filthy.

Honestly if you want value for money pay a bit extra and stay in a travelodge or premier inn..this place was a rip off, dirty, noisy and really unsecure..I took my laptop and valuables to work each day out of sheer fear.

Will never go back to this place... I've stayed in many hotels including backpacker hostels and they are miles better.

Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: please do not waste your time nor money on this place.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Graeme P
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Having stayed in cheaper accommodation around the King's Cross area a few times in the past, I was expecting nothing more than adequacy. This pleasant B&B was quite a surprise package, however.

The staff were very polite and helpful, while the room was clean and spacious, complete with an extremely comfy bed. As for the morning after, I had been informed that it was a continental breakfast being served. The thought of this never gets my lips smacking, but I can honestly say that the Swinton's is the best I've ever had, especially as the 'build your own' cheese and ham rolls would be enough to set up the heftiest of truckers for the day!

The breakfast room itself could do with being a little bigger, but that's being hypercritical. If you're after a value for money stay in the capital, look no further.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I booked a double en suite room for one night, midweek. I booked just under two weeks in advance and paid around £90.

The hotel was easy to get to (about a ten minute walk from Kings Cross Station).

My room was very basic, the bathroom tired looking, and the shower situated over the toilet. This would have been fine however, had the place been properly cleaned. The furniture was so dusty that i couldn't unpack my suit for fear of it being covered (no hangers were provided). I would have complained but it was late and I had an interview early the next morning.

Otherwise everything was fine. The bed itself was clean and comfortable, the water was hot, complimentary toiletries were provided and the free wifi worked fine (even on the third floor). I didn't stay for the free breakfast do cannot comment on that.

Aside from the filthy wardrobe, bedside table and other furniture the room was what I would expect for £90 in the middle of London... but seriously there is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness (see pictures).

I wouldn't recommend this hotel, but if it employed decent cleaners I would be writing a very different review.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Morgan H
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Long weekend in London from Thursday 16th - Saturday 18th January 2014. My birthday weekend with a girlfriend began with an easy 5 minute walk from Kings Cross to this lovely little hotel. Our main plans for the weekend were to take afternoon tea, visit the theatre and a few of the museums and attractions. With a check in time of 1pm it was very easy for us to get into our room, leave our bags and start our trip properly. When we arrived at the hotel the man at reception apologised that they had double booked our twin room for the Friday night and would we mind staying in two single rooms right next door to each other for the two nights we were staying at no extra cost. I appreciate that for some people this would have been an inconvenience but we immediately saw the benefit - no hanging around waiting for the shower in the morning as we would each have our own en suite. We agreed and were given our keys. Although the corridors are narrow and the stairs quite steep, so not ideal for disabled access, we found our rooms to be adequate, clean and fresh with everything we needed. Breakfast the following morning was simple but for the price we paid we weren't expecting much more than tea, toast and croissants which was exactly what was on offer, unlimited, together with a small selection of cereal, fruit juice, cheese, ham and bread.The staff were friendly and accommodating, on our first morning there I asked if I could possibly use their printer to print a voucher for one of London's attractions and the man behind the desk was more than happy to help - allowing me to use his laptop and printer immediately. I know some establishments would charge extra for those kind of services so was very happy and very grateful. Our time at the hotel passed without any problems, staff were pleasant, beds comfortable, shower rooms cleaned daily, plenty of hot water. At the end of our trip the hotel were happy to look after our bags for our last day so we could go out and about without our luggage - they kept them locked away in the breakfast room once breakfast was over. We were happy to leave our bags in the room until breakfast was over at 10am when the staff would move them down to the breakfast room where they would be kept securely for the rest of the day. Alternatively we could have waited until 10am and took our bags down ourselves but we were happy to trust the staff. I realise some people reading this would not be so trusting but as we did not have anything of great value in our cases we were happy to take the risk. I would definitely definitely recommend this budget hotel. If you don't expect too much you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Road noise could be a problem for some travellers so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends