“Never again!”

Ranked #911 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A colleague and I stayed one night in this hotel and the only reason we endured it is because our work had paid for it. The room was very small and not to a clean standard. There was hair and dirt on the skirting boards and the windows were filthy (I had to wash my hands when opening the window). During the night (May) it was so hot in the room that I kept waking up sweating. There was no security locks on the window and traffic so loud didnt really want to open the window but had to relent at 5am.
I am sure health and safety would have a field day as on a small shelf in the room there was a kettle and directly above that a hair dryer to use!
The walls were thin as I could hear my colleague in the room next to me on the phone.
I didnt attempt trying the breakfast as the room had put me off so much but my colleague innformed me that the dining room was clean and she had toast which was ok.
On the plus, the linen was clean and fresh and the bathroom was also clean although the shower was not up to much.
Free Wifi

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Claire K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night 24th June
Wasn't excepting much from the other reviews?!

But room was clean, clean towels , bed was comfy..tea coffee facility's and a short walk to the tube.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and would book again next time :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Romania
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This has been my worst hotel experience ever for many many reasons. The room was extra small (even for a single), there were dirt stains on the carpet, the window would not close completely and it was right above the bed so there was a nice cold draft coming every night. The matress had a weird feel but I guess the sheets were clean. The tv screen was very small and it would often loose the signal. There were some drawers but I didn't dare to put my clothes in as they seemed not to have been cleaned in a long time. And now the bathroom: apparentely, in order for the shower to work you have to turn on the knob and then WAIT FOR 10 MINUTES FOR THE WATER TO COME! I have never seen or heard of a more stupid thing in my life! One of the towels was torn and there was no place to hang them. The sink was extra small as well.
The brakfast was acceptable but then again I am happy with only tea, toast and butter.
The only positive thing I have to say about it it's its location next to King's Cross
I would definetly NOT recommend this hotel, only if you really really have no other choise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Monica F

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Valby, Denmark
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I paid 641 for three rooms and three nights, but it was NOT worth a penny! We had room 26, 28 and 31 on the 1st floor. The hotel was SO dirty and so were the rooms. In room 26, which is a single room, my mom slept in sheets with old lipstick and mascara. There were stains on the carpet almost everywhere. The lift was also very dirty, AND very small. The wallpaper was cracked. They should call it a hostel instead of a hotel. Next time I'll pay a bit more to get a better hotel.

Terrible experience. Do NOT spend your money here. I'd rather sleep in the tube stations!!

Room Tip: DON'T stay here!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

firstly I was informed it was only 5 minutes from Russell square (big fat lie) in the centre of kings cross, If you value your life stay away. as soon as the man behind the desk informed us our room was in the basement I knew it was going from bad to worse it was a box room with a bed shoved in. you could have all the 3 S'S at once in the 'wet room' we called it, I kept telling myself it was just a safe place for the night, I was wrong as I was awoken by gunshots from a close neighbourhood. in the morning we went into another box room for breakfast if that's what we want to call it, there was only toast with 2 selections of cereal and rock hard croissants with ham and cheese that had been left out for hours. we then wanted to check out at 9:50 and asked if we could leave our case they said not until after 10 so we waiting around, it was 10:15 before we could leave the luggage, overall it was ridiculous pay a little extra for comfort and safety!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank natalielouise94
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I paid £240 for 4 nights in this hotel as I was needing somewhere for business purpose.

It has free wi-fi yes, however the signal is often lost or very very slow after 6pm.

I was in room 28 which is on the 1st floor.

The lift is dirty and stunk of smoke, as did the hallways.
My room was terrible, the outside sash window kept falling open during the night and the previous guest has wedged a spoon in it. I complained and they said they'd fixed the window but hadn't so I had to go buy sleeping tablets and earplugs to get a nights sleep.

I was eventually moved to another room (45, 2nd floor) for the final night, and this was on the "garden" side. this was much quieter, however the bed is a tiny foam matress and the walls were filthy.

Honestly if you want value for money pay a bit extra and stay in a travelodge or premier inn..this place was a rip off, dirty, noisy and really unsecure..I took my laptop and valuables to work each day out of sheer fear.

Will never go back to this place... I've stayed in many hotels including backpacker hostels and they are miles better.

Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: please do not waste your time nor money on this place.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Graeme P
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Having stayed in cheaper accommodation around the King's Cross area a few times in the past, I was expecting nothing more than adequacy. This pleasant B&B was quite a surprise package, however.

The staff were very polite and helpful, while the room was clean and spacious, complete with an extremely comfy bed. As for the morning after, I had been informed that it was a continental breakfast being served. The thought of this never gets my lips smacking, but I can honestly say that the Swinton's is the best I've ever had, especially as the 'build your own' cheese and ham rolls would be enough to set up the heftiest of truckers for the day!

The breakfast room itself could do with being a little bigger, but that's being hypercritical. If you're after a value for money stay in the capital, look no further.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends