“Don't try to check in early”

Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot
Ranked #875 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here with friends on a short break to London. The location is good, only 5-8 minutes or so from Kings Cross/St Pancras.
No complaints about the room, quite a good size for a London hotel, beds very comfy and room clean.
My main gripe is that we arrived before the check in time and was asked to pay £10 per room for early check in. I asked if we could just leave our luggage till later and was asked to pay £10 per room for that too!!
Not many hotels charge you to check in early, or indeed leave your luggage for an hour or so.
We did not make use of the breakfast room, we chose to eat at one of the many cafes in the vicinity which are cheaper. We made use of the bar which was OK but service a little slow.
Overall fairly good value for money as we booked early so only paid about £60 per room per night which is good for London, if you book early enough you can get it even cheaper but don't try to check in early as you will be charged !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel to avoid traffic noise at the front, it's on a busy road
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I'm a frequent user of the Travelodge chain and have appreciated their efforts to upgrade their hotels. The Kings Cross one, however, is not one of their best. My main concern was the room which had a double bed squeezed in to it so that access was only available from one side. The air conditioning had been disconnected 'for the safety of the guests' which I interpreted as 'to save money' and in recompompence, a small, noisy fan was provided. Sleeping with the window open is obviously not an option in Central London.

On the plus side, the breakfast was of good quality although various items (for example, eggs, croissants) ran out for several minutes until the staff got around to replacing them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

was a little concerned by some of the reviews but found
a). Extremely Helpful Staff
b). very clean hotel and room
c). We asked for air con room and got one
d). extremely comfortable bed with 4 pillows
e). was on the front and triple glazing super effective
f). small room but had everything in it in good condition
g) . we are 2 women and we walked back from KC after midnight all the nights of our stay and never felt threatened
We have realistic expectations of a Travelodge and therefore more than happy x

Room Tip: Ask the staff politely, we found air conditioning, help with parking, walking map and a great lunch...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Needed a twin room for one night prior to attending the UCL open day with my teenage daughter. Hotel prices in the area had clearly rocketed for the occasion. Usually I stay at a Premier Inn and have never been disappointed. However, they were asking £200 so I opted for Travelodge. Good points were very comfortable beds, everything very
clean and surprisingly effective double glazing. Location was handy. Not so good was the fact that several items did not work, extractor fan in bathroom, bedside lamp, air conditioning and light over sink. Furniture was old and scratched and a drawer was missing from storage unit. Bathroom sink was badly cracked. Only in London would a budget hotel dare to charge £140 for such a room. Stay here only if you can get a cheap deal.

Room Tip: Would be quieter at the back. Lot of traffic at the front but double glazing pretty good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This Hotel does exactly what it says on the tin. Its located close to Kings cross station 5 minute walk. The beds are comfy the rooms are clean. it certainly meets the needs of the business traveller. Its not fancy but then its not fancy (over) priced either. Will stay here again if the need arises. Would say water pressure for shower is a little lacking but that's my preference it does the job regardless.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I chose the Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot as part of a package made available through American Airlines. While the price was fair, I have serious reservations about this property. Before I get into those reservations, let me make it clear up front that I thought the staff at the Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot were fantastic, friendly, personable, and helpful. And, while the hotel is not directly across the street from Kings Cross/St Pancras, the walk from Kings Cross/St Pancras to the hotel is all of 8-10 minutes through what seemed to me to be a relatively safe area of central London. As other reviewers have noted, there was, as far as I could tell, no air conditioning in my room; at times, it was quite stuffy and uncomfortable to be in the room because of the lack of this amenity. Opening the window to let it fresh air helped with the temperature and the stuffiness, but only a little. Unfortunately, opening the window let all of the noise in from the surrounding neighborhood. People outside got very loud at all hours of the day and night (or so it seemed to me). And, while I'm on the subject of noise, inside the hotel itself was little better. The biggest issue I had was, at all hours of the day and night (again), people were slamming the doors to get in and out of their rooms -- and, were clearly audible partying and otherwise raising a ruckus given the paper thin walls separating the rooms. The décor was okay, but in serious need of a refresh. The desk console in my room was missing one of the drawers entirely and there were no end tables on either side of the bed. As far as the bathroom is concerned, the towels always smelled to me as if they had been burnt instead of cleaned; and the shower pipes let off a ghastly moaning sound every time the shower was turned on for use. Based on my experiences, I cannot recommend staying at this property in London and I will go out of my way to avoid it the next time I'm in the U.K.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Anthony P
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I'd seen bad reviews for this place but generally like to make up my mind myself,I found the room clean,tidy and a nice tv,bathroom was excellent and clean and the staff friendly and very helpful,I know this place has had a makeover recently but I had no complaints and loved my stay and would recommend to all as such a good value for money

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo