“Great value accommodation in London”

Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot
Ranked #897 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had heard mixed reviews about the Royal Scot, but thanks to other reviewers we'd heard asking for a room with Air Con can help maximise the chances of getting a nice room. We were allocated one of the Millennium Rooms which was a bit difficult to find but we were rewarded with a room not facing the road (although noise didn't seem excessive during our stay anyway) and of course the aforementioned air conditioning which was a great help.

The room was a little old fashioned and rough around the edges (one set of drawers had a drawer missing) but generally a clean, standard room. More than happy considering the price and the bathroom was clean, likewise with the bed.

The usual accompaniments: Kettle, Coffee & Tea facilities, TV, bedside cabinets and lights. The hotel's (chargeable after 30 mins) wifi didn't get picked up at all in our room (#2004) so if this is a concern for you then be warned about the lack of reception in this part of the hotel.

The staff were very helpful & cleaning staff very courteous. The breakfast buffet was OK for what we paid, we were able to get breakfast locally after missing the breakfast hours after our first night.

The hotel is a short walk from Kings Cross St Pancras, as well as slightly longer (10-15mins) to London Euston so perfect for train travellers like ourselves. Quite happy considering the prices in London elsewhere were prohibitively expensive for our needs, would happily book again.

Room Tip: To avoid rooms on the road ask for a room with air conditioning, claim a health issue i.e. hayfever...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,963)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading lots of negative reviews We were was well and truley surprised, the rooms were spotless lots of tea and coffee available more at reception if need, the staff were great, our only ' moan ' was the shower wernt that powerfull, but did the job and there wernt many toiletries ie no soap, also our Room was very warm, us ourselves would return and recommend this travel lodge

Room Tip: Unless you like a warm room don't go south facing
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here with family, taking up three family rooms in all. ALL of us had issues with the rooms, example, nowhere for a child to sleep in our room, no bed. They said at reception could he sleep in a room on his own( he's only 12) so NO! Was given another room number but it wasn't ready so came back 3.40 and still wasn't ready. Given ANOTHER room and went up to unpack and guess what? NO BED FOR A CHILD! So were given yet another room and eventually got sorted. They had charged £10 for early check in, which they refunded after all the mix up. The other two rooms taken by family had exactly the same problem, and they arrived at 8.30 pm so were not best pleased.

The rooms are old and in need of a good clean. We did get clean towels the next day but the room hadn't been cleaned/vacuumed etc.

The breakfast was adequate,what you expect from a Travel Lodge.

Free wifi for 30 minutes.
On the plus side, the reception staff were really helpful and did their best to sort it out.

On checking out, you are charged £10 for storing the baggage, which we paid. However, after finding that not everyone pays this, and after a lengthy discussion with reception we got this refunded too.

Won't be using this hotel again.

Tip: if you talk to reception you DONT all pay for early check in and for leaving the bags.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was initially put into an Accessible Room on the Ground Floor. I only noticed this when I went for a shower and I was not even told that I was going to be placed into such a room. It was late and so I did not complain as I had checked in the hotel at 12am. That was not the only issue. The air con in the room was noisy so I switched it off. Upon going back to sleep I heard dripping noise. I notice that this was the aircon. The noise would not stop and I could not sleep. There is no phone in the room so I had to go to the reception to tell them of this issue. They put me in another room. This was much better and I got some rest. In the morning however, I discovered there were no towels in the room. Upon telling the member of staff when checking out, there was no concern and I was simply told that "they cleaners must have missed it of their list". Still if there was a phone to reception, like any other hotel, this would have been useful as I could have called someone. I checked out and very disappointed about the stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
1  Thank R83 B
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment R83 B. Our facilities are required to be checked on a regular basis to ensure that they are quiet and functional so it is regrettable to learn you were disturbed by the noise of the air conditioning unit. Our housekeeping team are also expected to ensure all of our rooms are set up correctly with the correct amount of linen and towels so we are truly sorry to learn this was not the case. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel management team so that they can investigate the noise disturbances and remind our house keeping of the importance of attention to detail.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

As ever with Travelodge, very reasonable price at £71 per room per night for 2 including breakfasts. Great location with easy transport route access. helpful and friendly staff. Building, reception area and rooms in good standard of repair......slight problem with hot water system resulted in lack of shower day one but staff were empathetic and helpful. all was well day 2.
Would definitely use again.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keithfryan
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I managed to get a Sunday night stay here for £20 which was absolutely brilliant.

I had room 112 which sat out on it's own at the back of the hotel. I had two small high windows which did not open, but the plus side was that I had air conditioning which was brilliant as it was really warm outside.

The room has just been redecorated and it was very big, with a very big shower room as well. The bed was really comfortable and the shower really powerful. The hotel was full when I stayed, no wonder at the prices and the great location. I picked here as I was travelling by Eurostar on the Monday morning. The on site bar remains open 24 hours a day for drinks and snacks which was really good.

Breakfast was good and filling.

The staff were all excellent and very helpful.

Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Great location for the West End, the City, trains including Eurostar and buses. Although not the smartest or newest Travelodge, the corridors have lovely Art Deco facades which give it character, so I like staying here. Some rooms get traffic noise as it fronts onto a main road

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo