“Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of Wedgewood Hotel

Wedgewood Hotel
Ranked #947 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 July 2013

After reading all the reviews here and on other sites, I was a little worried as to what I would find here. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was a decent size and bed comfortable and clean. The bathroom was quite small, but perfectly fine for one person. I may have had more trouble in there than most, however, being a large woman. The receptionists were very helpful when I spoke to them. All in all, I got what I paid for- a clean, comfortable place to sleep. Also, the location was great!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Shana B
There are newer reviews for Wedgewood Hotel

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We spent a weekend and did not get impressed...the location was ok, that part of the city is quite and close also to nice restaurants. However the staff at the reception was a bit rude and the room itself very tiny. The bathroom was even smaller. At night we could easily hear noises from other rooms which of course we did not appreciate. We will certainly come back to London but of course we will go for another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Staff: We encountered some very nice staff that were very helpful. However on the last day when we were leaving, we rushed back and were told our taxi to the airport had left without us. The receptionist actually didn't even tell us when she saw us!We had to ask her if she had seen any taxi. We were panicking but the receptionist, a lady with short blonde hair, told us with a straight face, you didn't come in time, the taxi has left. We were panicking and she just continued looking at her computer. I asked her what other options there were as i had a plane to catch in 3hours. She just looked at me and said well you can take the train and it is going to take you 2 hours or you can go get a cab. While she was saying this, I asked twice can you help me to book a cab. Finally she said yes i can and she booked it. During the whole conversation she had the look of "Well it's your fault, your problem". Earlier in the morning when we checked out, and we asked to put our bags with them. She did not even greet us when she saw us and she just handed us a key and said bring it down on your own. We felt she had rather poor customer service.

Room: We were on the 4th floor. Room was small but alright. The floor creaked where ever we walked. On the first night i had trouble with their tap. It responded very slowly when i turned the shower tap so it took quite some time to adjust it to the correct temperature. There is a certain old musty smell to the room we were in but in the room our other family members were in was alright.

Breakfast: Horrible. There was a toaster that was pretty old fashioned and there was no one around to assist us. There was only piles of bread, cereal, juice and coffee.

Lift: Very small. Could only fit 1 person and 2 luggages. Therefore, when a family is checking out especially in the morning when people are going out or down for breakfast, it is advised to start moving out your luggage earlier if not it takes at least 15minutes for a family to move all their luggage down and that is with some of the family members going down by staircase.

The upside of the hotel is that it is located in a good location near 2 tube stations queensway and bayswater and there is alot of restaurants along that road as well.

Note: If you want to take a transport to the airport. Don't bother wasting your 70 pounds on the shuttle by the hotel. It needs 1 day in advance booking. But when we called for a cab, we realized it was only a flat rate of 55 pounds.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was touring London in May for 4 days with my family. I had booked a Quad room. As we checked-in they allotted us a room on 2nd floor (Room No. 202). The bathroom door had a big one inch gap where the hinges are placed. One good see through the bathroom very clearly. The carpet was bad. I took this up with the lady at the reception. They gave me another quad room in the basement. Although the door was of the bathroom was okay the room was below average. This is a very old building, more than 100 years old. Maintenance is not good. The lift is so small that one could fit in couple of small bags and may be one person can fit. The breakfast consists of bread and jam, no fruits, no cakes. Although they have free Wi-Fi the connectivity was erratic and their wi-fi was completely down for two full days. Overall this hotel is a bad choice even if the tariff is reasonable. I am sure one would find a better hotel at same price. I have never stayed in a hotel as bad as this one.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JaideepMumbai
Reviewed 19 June 2013

i like this hotel and have stayed there a few times
however a month after my last stay
my credit card was used by a member of staff to the tune of £166
i would not use this hotel again the manager just fobbed me off
saying i must have booked it for someone else..
do not stay at this hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank karen h
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We think it is a good value for money as the hotel is in the city center, but would definitely not recommend to buy breakfast! It was only 5£ but there was nothing else but bread, jam and cheapest cereal. No cheese or ham, nothing. One of the receptionist was very nice and welcoming (looks like Spanish, dark hair) and the guy at night was nice too, but staff at breakfast didin't say good morning or anything like that.
The room itself was really poor but had a shower and a sink in the cupboard :) Bathroom was quite nice and clean.
We don't regret going there but probably will not come back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you're looking for a hotel with BAD rooms whereby you can hear every person walking around the place; want rude staff who start showing anger at you for requesting a refund because your room doesn't have ANY running water, and get equally obnoxious when you ask about why it's not working and all you get is "It happens sometimes."; or if you like cheap cereal and toast for breakfast; then sure, come stay here!

This was the WORST HOTEL my wife has EVER stayed in, and we stay in a lot of hotels due to our jobs and frequent traveling!

I would NEVER recommend this hotel even to a homeless person!! Even the cleaning staff tried to tell her that all the hotels in the area are the same.

Thankfully she found another hotel really quickly nearby which is way better!

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo